+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: big plan announcement?

Plane Touched

Wow there seems to be a lot of going back and forth with personal attacks in this thread. Guys&Girls need to keep it on topic atleast.

To clarify a few things, since I've been with Rift since Beta. Scott Hartsman, the new CEO of TRION, has several years, decades even, of experience in the gaming industry. His thoughts at the time when he was the Creative Director/Lead (iirc his exact position) for Rift was F2P was not needed at that time. Because of his passion for the game and possibly some things going on behind the scenes he departed from Rift.

Since that time the gaming market has shifted to F2P being the new model. It brings pros and cons with it, it lowers the barrier of entry at the cost of possibly letting in some of the riff raff in, but on the same token you get the opportunity to group and help and teach those new players. The F2P model Rift adopted/created works and is one of, if not, the best in the business. It's not so much the sign of a sinking ship as it is adapting to market shifts.

Now as for the other titles in Trions manifesto that aren't fairing as well as Rift. I haven't played them as their genre is not one I particularly enjoy so cannot speak with 100% accuracy; but sound like they may have spread themselves to thin, or grown to quickly. As a result Trion is now having to reign in expenses and restructure to become more agile. I believe part of this was to bring back Scott and all of his experiences to benefit not just Rift but those other franchises as well.

So upon his return and as part of this restructuring we are seeing changes, fast paced changes which was warned. I truly think we will see not just a "State of the Game" address but a "State of the Company" to cover all franchises, in due time. But it is just that, time. We can clamor for a response all we want but the truth of the matter is, he is going to make the hard choices and do it in a form conducive to the continuity of the company.

Patience is all they are asking while they get their house in order.

Disclaimer: I am not employed by Trion or affiliated with them. The views or opinions expressed in this post are of my own and made without solicitation from any staff member.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero View Post
    I came exactly 1 month before Rift went free to play
    Grats man, first times are always special...
    Quote Originally Posted by martroll View Post
    if rift comes good it be bye bye wow.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    So basically your saying...just more of the same?
    Patches with bug fixes and stability fixes which actually break the servers and cause more harm than good. (the old green condoms loading are back, faster and longer than ever)
    A new/old CEO that cant even be bothered to pop by and say HI i'm back? Good start....way to halt the rumours.
    Having to read updates and just basic info about whats happening from external sites......
    Comments on F2P taking longer than a few months are a little......sour. Since for a while Trion was saying they absolutely wouldn't be going F2P then bingo.........were F2P.

While I don't think Wildstar is a threat to Rift, the new FF and ESO are due to go open beta next month.
    These "another game is just over the horizon" threats are really getting old. I'm sure they are well-aware of those games, and those who want to play those style games are going to go to them, doesn't matter what Trion does or doesn't do.

To be honest, you people are acting like a bunch of spoiled 8 year-old brats and you really need to stop feeling so self-entitled.

There are a whole lot more people out there enjoying the game and not on the forums.

Get over yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero View Post
    Yea, f2p made community worse. I came exactly 1 month before Rift went free to play and people were more helpful then today. f2p bring a lot of d...heads, but it's good for trion worlds.
    League of legends have WORST community. Every 3rd game someone wishes you to die painful death, and every second game you can read rage comments, but it's still most successful game in last 2 years and Riot went rocket sky with it.
    The community went bad when F2P was announced in early May. It didn't wait 'till 12 June.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Quote Originally Posted by dahanese View Post
    I don't think you should expect a single manifesto coming out later this week. For my part, we're going to be changing things throughout the coming weeks. For Scott, you are going to also hear more from him in the coming weeks. Same with the devs - we have 2.4 coming... and then everything in between until 3.0. A lot of that we're not talking about - but it's in the works.

Also, things take a whole lot longer in game dev than you think. Things as big as F2P have to bake a whole lot longer than just a couple months. That being said, you aren't going to hear radio silence - but again, it will come in the form of updates and improvements rather than one grand sweeping AHA moment in the form of a very long post.
    Very political answer
    Pls respond

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ShayolGhul88 View Post
    Very political answer
    Sounded like a pretty honest answer to me.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Pallydrome View Post
    Sounded like a pretty honest answer to me.
    People love honesty when its something they support, and despise it when its something they don't: I tell you, that you smell -- and you freak out. You tell me that I smell, and I'm supposed to be fine and dandy because its the truth.

This thread has been rather amusing, though,with the complete lack of actual information and all the hear-say that gets passed around. These tin foil hats grow bigger and bigger with each week.
    [CENTER]
    Cleric Tank - Trinity - 100k HP Club
    3/3 IG | 4/5 PB

Quote Originally Posted by EchoesIE View Post
    People love honesty when its something they support, and despise it when its something they don't: I tell you, that you smell -- and you freak out. You tell me that I smell, and I'm supposed to be fine and dandy because its the truth.

This thread has been rather amusing, though,with the complete lack of actual information and all the hear-say that gets passed around. These tin foil hats grow bigger and bigger with each week.
    i CAN'T GET MY HAT OFF i NEED HELPPP
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

I wasn't even going to respond to his post but you made the point.
    Also, just started listening to your podcast last night. Listened to a few previous ones. Looking forward to them.
    Pls respond

Prophet of Telara

And people on a game's forums who expect internal information about the company to be posted on said forums need to check out of Fantasyland for an hour or so and experience reality.

I may get flamed for this, but I honostly feel like there needs to be less interaction with devs outside of the pts. Its Dahanese's job to judge the overall moral of the community here and refer the apropriate questions in the correct direction.

Rift has some amazing devs and fans but one thing I have noticed over three years here is how the forum community has learned to bait and maipulate dev responses and game changes. This is not how it should work.

Dev to player coms should be minimal dahanese aside.. becuase no matter how much a dev loves its players WE are selfish and biased. Devs have the companys intrest and income in mind .
    Zoartype@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Keota View Post
    I may get flamed for this, but I honostly feel like there needs to be less interaction with devs outside of the pts. Its Dahanese's job to judge the overall moral of the community here and refer the apropriate questions in the correct direction.

Rift has some amazing devs and fans but one thing I have noticed over three years here is how the forum community has learned to bait and maipulate dev responses and game changes. This is not how it should work.

Dev to player coms should be minimal dahanese aside.. becuase no matter how much a dev loves its players WE are selfish and biased. Devs have the companys intrest and income in mind .
    There's only one Dahanese for all of us, so occassionally Daglar or some of the other devs do have to get on. And the class devs should be on here to manage their class forums.

13.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #43
    Rift Team

Having to read updates and just basic info about whats happening from external sites......
    I wanted to respond to this one very specifically. This is no different than the past - we always talk to fan sites and large MMO websites to spread information about what is coming in future patches.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of what was posted in the one you are referencing at the moment has been said by me, or Deadsimon on the livestreams, or posted on these very forums.

This particular line is a "sky is falling" sort of line (at least how I read it) - and does not represent a shift in how things have always worked. We are typically pretty vague on our own forums as to exactly what is coming in the next game update - as things change.

Bill "Daglar" Fisher
    Game Director

Mite I suggest that a sticky thread on the front page of he General Discussions forum would be a good place to post 'upcoming changes and stuff'.
    A lot of people don't read fan sites or watch the livestream so they have to 'pick' bits of info out of whole threads of nothing.

These are the Official forums after all so we should be getting the info first and in a clear precise way so we can find it without a degree in forum foraging.

Just saying........

These are the Official forums after all so we should be getting the info first and in a clear precise way so we can find it without a degree in forum foraging.

Just saying........
    The information is not hard to find if you are looking for it, offical forums are probably the LEAST important place to put "future plans" because it's good publicity to post those kind of things on 3rd party gaming sites where i can generate excitement in people who might not even know what rift is (potential new players). Also, it's good for people who left the game and want to know what changes have occured on the basic level.

The people on these forums are usually already well informed about what's going on in the game. It would be redundant to post here, and analyzed to death by the forum trolls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast