+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Seems I've ruffled a few feathers.

Default Seems I've ruffled a few feathers.

When I first started playing this game on my Cleric I found the prices of crafted armor pretty high. Tin pieces about 1P, Copper 2P, Iron and so forth 3-5P per piece.

As a new player I couldn't afford these prices so I did what every decent entrpeneur would do and made an Alt to work up my armor smithing for my Cleric.

This is where it ruffled some feathers. I don't sell my armor at high prices and today I started to get "/tells" suggesting I am the reason for single handedly destroying the Armor market.

I just do not understand this thinking. My armor sales are doing just fine so the market hasn't been destroyed.

I tried to tell them they were more than welcome to buy all my stuff and reprice higher if they felt that my prices were too low, but I guess insulting my intelligence and trying to tell me I don't understand economics and wouldn't survive in the real world was more important.

Thanks for listening to my brief rant. I am semi-retired and understand real world economics just fine thanks. I ran my own business for over 35 years. If you got a bargain lately in Tin-Cobalt Armor then likely it was from me.... Titanium is next I think...
    Last edited by Ddeeds; 08-18-2013 at 01:54 PM.

if they were relying on the tin/cobalt market to make plat, then they were pretty clueless about this game's economy to begin with.

If you find that the work and money you are putting into it is worth what you are getting out of it, then keep doing what you're doing.

If others find that they cannot compete, that's their problem, not yours.

Considering I only ever make that stuff to break and move on I am surprised there is a low level armour market. Just ignore them and keep on doing what you find is fun for you, if they can't compete with you that's their tough luck, they obviously haven't been exposed to market conditions of competition before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeeds View Post
    When I first started playing this game on my Cleric I found the prices of crafted armor pretty high. Tin pieces about 1P, Copper 2P, Iron and so forth 3-5P per piece.

As a new player I couldn't afford these prices so I did what every decent entrpeneur would do and made an Alt to work up my armor smithing for my Cleric.

This is where it ruffled some feathers. I don't sell my armor at high prices and today I started to get "/tells" suggesting I am the reason for single handedly destroying the Armor market.

I just do not understand this thinking. My armor sales are doing just fine so the market hasn't been destroyed.

I tried to tell them they were more than welcome to buy all my stuff and reprice higher if they felt that my prices were too low, but I guess insulting my intelligence and trying to tell me I don't understand economics and wouldn't survive in the real world was more important.

Thanks for listening to my brief rant. I am semi-retired and understand real world economics just fine thanks. I ran my own business for over 35 years. If you got a bargain lately in Tin-Cobalt Armor then likely it was from me.... Titanium is next I think...
    Kudos to you man! Let em whine all they like. Kaiser has a good point too!
    Quote Originally Posted by martroll View Post
    if rift comes good it be bye bye wow.

Gotta say I enjoy these threads.

I have always marveled at how anyone who plays an MMO thinks that there is some kind of economy within the game that players themselves have any influence on. Always makes me smile.

As for myself, I, too, have received 'educated' tells from anonymous players 'schooling' me on the 'ingame economy.' ROFL!

I have ALWAYS offered ALL of my crafting services FREE with your mats on ALL my toons. Tips welcome but not necessary. No bulk orders, though.

Thanks for the post OP! Good read.

Something similar happened to me a while back, but with artifacts. He basically kept sending me hate mail and threats like, "You will never sell another item again."

I just reported him, and after a couple days it stopped. Was pretty hilarious though. His grand plan to ruin my sales was to undercut me by like 80%. Don't think I need to say how that ended.

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    Something similar happened to me a while back, but with artifacts. He basically kept sending me hate mail and threats like, "You will never sell another item again."

I just reported him, and after a couple days it stopped. Was pretty hilarious though. His grand plan to ruin my sales was to undercut me by like 80%. Don't think I need to say how that ended.
    Buy all his things, then resell for easy profit?

Ascendant

There definitely is a 'market' for lower level stuff.... can't count the times I made some shields for clerics/warriors who were starting out, or other stuff lower geared people needed ... since I have a bank full of augments I usually can slap something nice in there too to make it worth their while and be able to use it a bit longer ...

contrary to what many say it's not all about end game - if you can enjoy the ride a bit more by having a bit better gear ... I'm all for helping others out, be it through the AH or just by noticing and sending stuff...

I don't quite know who the clueless are trying to sell the lower level items to, for such a ridiculous amount of plat tbh.

I recently looked to see what I could buy one of my new toons, and just laughed at the 10+ plat price tag for some looted green rubbish.

Keep ruffling feathers, you're probably the only person actually selling what they list.

11.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #11

Everyone wants to play the game in their own way; and for some people, that's playing the economy. I think after the conversion to F2P, we have a lot more users that are coming in, including some that are used to buying the best gear they can off the AH. Kudos to you for keeping it affordable
    CM Morgana ~ Community Coordinator ~
    Avatar art is courtesy of Allie Brosh!

First of all, kudos to you for proving armor to the lower level market. One of the things that Rift doesn't have that I remember fondly from Everquest days was that back then you could outfit yourself at many of the lower levels from things available from other players. These days it seems that the new players have almost nothing to outfit themselves from in the AH. Or as you see the prices are outrageous.

I have 375skill in Apoth, Outfitter, Armor and Artificer on both my toons. Any time I go to sell something and I run across someone selling super low, I just don't sell that day. Their products will get snapped up quickly enough, they'll make their money, and it's no hardship for me to wait a day or so until the market "stabilizes" so to speak. Or like you said, just buy em up at the low price and resell as a profit.

With all the armor/weapons/items that are generated as people skill up, I wish more people just put them on the AH to provide a more robust shopping experience for the new players (can you tell I worked retail lol).

Something that used to happen on Faeblight when I started was "newbie bags' would be send to new players filled with things to get them started. Would be nice to see that come back.
    Ashrai@Deepwood
    Sporeslinger of <Godlike Awesomeness>

Plane Touched

People selling much lower never bothered me, just buy it out and relist and you've got profit. It's the people that undercut by 1 silver that I can't stand. And I make sure to never buy stuff from people undercutting like that

Quote Originally Posted by Margulis View Post
    People selling much lower never bothered me, just buy it out and relist and you've got profit. It's the people that undercut by 1 silver that I can't stand. And I make sure to never buy stuff from people undercutting like that
    If I see someone do that I almost always keep going down the list until I find the lowest person that undercut what I consider a decent amount.

I don't think undercutting by 1 silver is *that* terrible though. It's a valid tactic that I only hate because it has to be done so deliberately.

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    If I see someone do that I almost always keep going down the list until I find the lowest person that undercut what I consider a decent amount.

I don't think undercutting by 1 silver is *that* terrible though. It's a valid tactic that I only hate because it has to be done so deliberately.
    Actually most people don't give a hoot as BananAH will do that for you automatically. They might be undercutting by 1 silver without even knowing about it. Also, some people feel that it's still a lower price than the competitor and is going to defend this to the end of the world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast