Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Trion Worlds financial report

Default Trion Worlds financial report

Does anyone know where could I find Trion Worlds financial reports? Should be public.

Ascendant

Trion are a private company they are not required to make such things public so good luck with finding those financial reports, you're going to need it
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Ascendant

Indeed, this is the problem we have with Trion, they don't voluntarily publish anything and there's nothing and no-one to require them to, so we can't know if F2P was a last-ditch attempt to save it, or Hartsman's return is, or whatever.
    Last edited by Kerin; 08-17-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Ascendant

Default ...

i looked around for this info a few months ago. they made 9 million off of rift (before expenses)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by azabar View Post
    i looked around for this info a few months ago. they made 9 million off of rift (before expenses)
    source? bet you have none ...

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero View Post
    Does anyone know where could I find Trion Worlds financial reports? Should be public.
    Have you tried WikiLeaks? They seem to know all kinds of "private" things....
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I love this post

Plane Walker

@ Kerin:

Is Trion quoted on the stock exchange? That would be the only reason to give their financial reports public - to their share holders. We are no share holders, although if some of us pay monthly fee...
    No private company would lay out their financial affairs to every one - and definetly not in the game market. If there are companies who advertise with high numbers of players or profit, it is not more than advertising.
    Melandra @ Entity
    When the last healer vanished, the last healing is dried up and the last dogma was used up, DDs will notice that damage generates no healing.

Ascendant

Default ....

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    source? bet you have none ...
    why are you stalking me you troll? go away.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mausea View Post
    @ Kerin:

Is Trion quoted on the stock exchange? That would be the only reason to give their financial reports public - to their share holders. We are no share holders, although if some of us pay monthly fee...
    No private company would lay out their financial affairs to every one - and definetly not in the game market. If there are companies who advertise with high numbers of players or profit, it is not more than advertising.
    I observed fact, I made no comment on it, I know why they don't have to, I don't know why they choose not to: and no, the fact 'nobody else does' is rarely a valid reason for not doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by azabar View Post
    Source would be wonderful.

I doubt it was a last ditch effort. People seem to be under the impression that if a game doesn't have 8-10 million subscriptions it's a failure. A game doesn't need that to be successful. Take City of Heroes for example. A profitable game that was shut down for unknown reasons.
    I think Rift going F2P was just a step in the direction most online games seem to be going. They are seeing they can make more money from people in cash stores than monthly subs.

Rift Chaser

Quick napkin math (not that this means anything especially since I don't have any special sources)...

Before Trion went f2p they had roughly 30 months of paying subscribers. Under the assumption of 200,000 consistent subscribers during that period (I'm sure it has been higher but for average sake and maybe lower?) we have

subscription revenue = 200k * $10/mon * 30mon = $60million

So I'm guessing (I don't have sources) that if this is anywhere close to accurate than their revenue before expenses is probably far above just $9million.

As for expenses? I would guess this is mostly from salaries and manhours on development of material. But this would also include hardware and facilities for offices and servers.

Didn't include any of the income from sale of boxed games (such as original Rift and then SL) or from f2p shop purchases. However if even 10k people have spent $100 in the rift store since f2p then that easily is $1million since then. Again I have only guesses and no sources.

200k subscribers before it went free to play? That sounds to much imho. You would concider there would be even more people when it went f2p, but a lot of times i meet same people on europe english shards.

But when it comes to financial reports. im not just interested in income. There are many other stuff that can be read from them about company current condition. Would be fun to see it. But someone did mention and it's truth, if company is not on stock market it has no obligation to post any financial reports publicly.
    Last edited by GroundZero; 08-17-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Rift Disciple

Be careful what you wish for.

If Trion were to go "public," I suspect that would happen only if/when it's bought out by a much larger, publicly traded company.

Like how Warner Bros bought Turbine.

WB bought Turbine sometime spring 2010, which is how Turbine "went public" in that sense, and LotRO went hybrid-F2P that fall. And now look at how the store has absolute priority over the game development (maintenance of user-unfriendly systems or creation of mechanics that favor store purchases, etc.), with "visit the store now!" buttons all over the entire interface and splash screens, new mechanics and changed old mechanics to inflate daily login numbers to satisfy the shareholders who don't play games.

Basically, when a game firm like this remains private, the players are theoretically much closer to being actual shareholders than the other scenario. Yes, there are downsides; Turbine I'm sure has access to a lot more funding from their WB parent. But that too has a downside--WB is going to have a lot more say in how Turbine seeks profit. Or just look at Bioware and EA.

Rift Chaser

There may have been less than 200k before f2p. I can't dispute that. I was making my best guess with the information I have (which is just hunches really) about what the average subscriber numbers they had during the course of those 30 months (which would actually be 28 I think). Point being I'm just trying to give a sense for what type of revenue they might have had. I think that an average subscriber base of 200k during those 30 months is about right. At times (like at launch) it could have been higher than that. Right before f2p it could have been lower.

tldr; you're right I could be wrong (and I probably am)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast