+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: What happend to the performance fixes that was in the works ?

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #16
    Rift Team

Here's a quick video demoing *one* of the new options that's going to be available - Pixel Granularity

http://youtu.be/_WBuUIlp8MM

This option reduces the resolution of the game world (but not the UI) in order to increase the frame rate of the game.

At the lowest setting (50) you're basically rendering 25% of the world you normally render, resulting in a significant speed increase on some computers.

I hope dumbing down my graphics quality isn't part of the performance fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Pithos View Post
    Here's a quick video demoing *one* of the new options that's going to be available - Pixel Granularity

This option reduces the resolution of the game world (but not the UI) in order to increase the frame rate of the game.

At the lowest setting (50) you're basically rendering 25% of the world you normally render, resulting in a significant speed increase on some computers.
    I won't be going down to fifty, but that sounds awesome! Woohoo now I can have decent FPS!!
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    And 2.4 is next year, correct?
    No. 2.4 is set for September. 2.5 will also possibly happen by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by piker View Post
    I hope dumbing down my graphics quality isn't part of the performance fix.
    Uh yeah this. We need performance boosts, not ways to make the game look worse so it runs decent. Rift should run about three times as fast (no, I'm not kidding) as it does currently. I see absolutely no scaling from 2x crossfire 7950s, which is unlike just about any modern game I can think of.

*one* of the new options that's going to be available
    By any chance do any of these other options do anything to make the client not have ridiculous freezes or flat out crashes on characters that have large amounts of recipes? D:
    (V)    (V)
    ミ(◕‿◕。)彡

Plane Touched

so, multicore suport 64 bit client and other things not for the low end machines ?

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #23

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    2.4 is in September.

Unless a giant Triceratops appears, destroys the servers, and walks off with the hard drives between its teeth.

~Daglar
    Fixed that for you...

Plane Touched

Rendering less of the world is the performance "fix?"

I hope that's not the full extent of it.

Plane Touched

Creating lower resolutions options to play the game aren't engine performance fixes. I really hope there are some actual fixes planned

Wouldn't that only help people who can currently increase fps by lowering thier current resolution. Meaning that its a help for gpu handicapped computers when most of the complaints are that this engine doesn't utilize cpus properly. In other words if i curently lower my resulution in game down by a factor of 2 yet see no fps increase right now then this fix will do nothing later.
    Last edited by sancin; 08-16-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Sounds the same as Metro: LL's 0.5 SSAA which tricked a lot of less knowledgeable players because usually SSAA means the best image quality, but instead with 0.5 it rendered at a lower resolution and then up-scaled again which made it look quite bad.
    Of course there was a performance boost since it's less load to render for the graphics card.
    Oh well, at least you're not calling it 0.25 SSAA on the lowest settings and it seems to be more fine-tuneable

*edit*
    While we're here in the settings, can we please get save-able custom settings?
    Instead of a slider implement a drop down menu, a save button at the bottom and maybe 3-4 slots open for your own settings, maybe even possible to rename.
    Last edited by Wake; 08-16-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Actually it is just the same and not 0.25 since 0.5 SSAA is just that, half the amount of pixels per with and height meaning only 25% pixel count total for the given monitor resolution (too early in the morning made me not realize that immediately ).
    Last edited by Wake; 08-16-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynrapbag View Post
    What Dag? You haven't watched Pacific Rim? Those Kaiju's kicked cities all over the place. No I have this vision of Barney... all purple knocking on Trion's door.
    Trion has a Red Door.
    Faeblight is the home of Taaltos
    ***Triumph through Loyalty Respect and Perseverance.***

--Taaltos--
    Always willing to make an *** of himself so you don't have to.

Ok, cool. I thought it was next year for some reason. Thanks for the reply Daglar.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

cfc
    Shadowlander

It will be not a fix at all, it's an obvious downgrade...
    I think trion can't change anything they bought the gamebryo but can't really improve the engine...
    Tha game looks ugly with this new setting, i repeat UGLY !
    Last edited by cfc; 08-17-2013 at 02:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast