+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 495
Like Tree993Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: What happened to Elrar??????

  1. #181
    Shadowlander Kelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heyheyimgooddps View Post
    Is FF14 beta up yet ?

    lol
    It is up, I was just on it. :]
    "When angels are forced out of heaven, they become devils." -Kelayna of Necropolis

  2. #182
    Telaran Mustafa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelayna View Post
    ~YAWNS OBNOXIOUSLY~ Did anyone actually read this after the first paragraph?
    I saw that movie..pretentious in pink. It sucked.
    But again, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty you need only look into a mirror

  3. #183
    Telaran TwoWaysyaWowT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatlagh View Post
    Well to be fair, to some people this isn't just a puddle of water. It's just the latest in a long line of f*ckups. I see your "wait and see" and raise you "the last straw"
    My "wait and see" still trumps your "the last straw" because nothing has actually changed about the current product. The entire line-up of Trion employees could be replaced right now but until something changes with the product, for better or for worse, it makes no sense for anybody to get as worked up as some folks have. Think of it like a chess game...you were perfectly content with all the moves that your current opponent made since you didn't quit playing with him but now he has to leave mid-game and a completely different person takes his place. However, all the pieces are still where they were since a new move has yet to be made.

    So, Elrar's a popular guy and did right by a lot of people. For one, who's to say that he won't be brought back? Er, even if that's off-topic. But the point is still that if his departure is really so critical, then it's only common sense to solidify that by seeing what the next actual product move will be. 'Cause, you know, you might actually like it. But if not, then THAT would be the logical time to take your time and money elsewhere if this business decision is truly the last straw.

  4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #184
    Director of Global Communications dahanese's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isriam View Post
    so elrar's boss is now writing all updates and community posts? seems like a downsize
    Not all of them - you saw me do some of them, you just didn't always know it was me. :P

  5. #185
    Champion Naduri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    515

    Default

    dahanese
    Director of Community

    Joins well over a year ago.

    45 posts.

    .....

    Director Of Community and the Community hasn't got the faintest idea who they are.

    Meanwhile they get rid of the one person in that department making a meaningful impact.

    Someone explain this to me because it screams stupid on a number of levels.
    Anduri - Gelidra
    United Kingdoms

  6. #186
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Losing Elrar sucks as much as losing Scott did. Elrar was there for us, I mean it was his job but still...gonna pay attention to wherever he ends up. Best wishes man.

  7. #187
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    See, I don't think we have to wait to find out what kinds of changes are happening, because the changes have been happening for a while yet...
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  8. #188
    Ascendant Rheven's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWaysyaWowT View Post
    My "wait and see" still trumps your "the last straw" because nothing has actually changed about the current product. The entire line-up of Trion employees could be replaced right now but until something changes with the product, for better or for worse, it makes no sense for anybody to get as worked up as some folks have. Think of it like a chess game...you were perfectly content with all the moves that your current opponent made since you didn't quit playing with him but now he has to leave mid-game and a completely different person takes his place. However, all the pieces are still where they were since a new move has yet to be made.

    So, Elrar's a popular guy and did right by a lot of people. For one, who's to say that he won't be brought back? Er, even if that's off-topic. But the point is still that if his departure is really so critical, then it's only common sense to solidify that by seeing what the next actual product move will be. 'Cause, you know, you might actually like it. But if not, then THAT would be the logical time to take your time and money elsewhere if this business decision is truly the last straw.
    You haven't been paying attention if you think the product hasn't been changing. And, for the worse.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

  9. #189
    Rift Disciple Zyanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion5182 View Post

    Doubt he was fired with cause. That would require a statement from Trion saying in general terms what happened and using different terms. Such as Terminated with cause investigation under way. If it was a personal cause ONE line of text would have fixed this mess. ONE. 'Elrar has left the company for personal reasons and will be addressing players in his own way.' That was ALL that needed to be said for Trion to dodge all the spears and bullets if it had been for personal reasons and i'm not even in public ****ing relations.

    Until Hartsman is willing to address the game and he blew a perfect chance to I say Elrar was fired without cause. And i DARE Trion to prove me wrong!
    Clearly, you know little to nothing about employment law and Human Resources practices regarding the firing of employees. Typically, in the professional world, when an employee is fired for cause, they are escorted from the building, not given an opportunity to say "good-bye" and HR doesn't disclose the reason for the departure. To avoid any type of litigation, a prior employer doesn't even respond to questions regarding an employee's dismissal other than saying, "They are no longer with the company." If a prospective employer calls regarding the ex-employee the most HR will say is "They're not eligible for rehire."

    As for you, daring Trion or Hartsman to do anything to assuage your curiosity about a matter that is, as far as Trion is concerned, finished, only makes you appear pompous and foolish.

    Trion owes us nothing but a product for which we're willing to pay. Oh wait, most people no longer pay. However, my subscription is paid until Feb 2014 and I will continue to pay as long as I play, regardless of who fills the position of Community Manager.
    Last edited by Zyanya; 08-16-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
    Excusing and tolerating disrespect guarantees it will continue.

  10. #190
    Ascendant xanduin246's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naduri View Post
    dahanese
    Director of Community

    Joins well over a year ago.

    45 posts.

    .....

    Director Of Community and the Community hasn't got the faintest idea who they are.

    Meanwhile they get rid of the one person in that department making a meaningful impact.

    Someone explain this to me because it screams stupid on a number of levels.
    The Director of Community is like the boss of CMs. That doesn't mean they're a super CM that everyone should know. Elizabeth's job was mainly behind the scenes.
    Last edited by xanduin246; 08-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.

  11. #191
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyanya View Post
    Trion owes us nothing but a product or which we're willing to pay. Oh wait, most people no longer pay. However, my subscription is paid until Feb 2014 and I will continue to pay as long as I play, regardless of who fills the position of Community Manager.
    I will continue to pay somewhat longer than I play, most likely, but what it comes down to is: They don't owe me anything but a product I like enough to pay for it. I don't owe them anything but some kind of money if I want things they are charging money for. But, in particular, if I am not happy with how they run their community, then they aren't providing a product for which I am willing to pay...
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  12. #192
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    @Dahanese:

    I shared your same job title when I was a community director for a certain pirate game. I managed the department and worked behind the scenes to support a lot of great people. I too saw the winnowing of my team as the game slowly began to decline. It's rough having to gradually give 75% of your friends and coworkers pink slips.

    So, I can empathize with your dilemma.

    On the other hand... after I laid off the last person, I also resigned and haven't worked in the MMO industry since. I'm a person of honor and integrity... and being complicit in a system that thinks community service professionals are expendable... eh, just wasn't in my best interests (and still isn't).

    Decisions like these are made with a bottom line in mind. Costs are cut and the perceived value of service that players notice declines as community problems stack up and the company loses the ability to support itself. Revenues then decline further and more measures are put in place to further reduce costs... and so on. The loser here is always the players and they vote with their wallets. One day, MMO companies will learn this... but not today it seems.

    I am not and never was a fan of Elrar's job title (you can do his position with a community volunteer and get them to make livestreams for you... that's one thing I did). I don't know the reason for his departure but I'm betting it was economic (as were all the other major changes recently). He was a good guy though and the community is lesser for him being gone.

    Either way, I don't envy your position. I've been there and... for me... I resigned and went off to beat my own drum. I've often thought of coming back to the industry but... not today and probably not tomorrow either.

  13. #193
    Telaran TwoWaysyaWowT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheven View Post
    You haven't been paying attention if you think the product hasn't been changing. And, for the worse.
    Hence, why I specifically stated current product. As in right now.

  14. #194
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWaysyaWowT View Post
    Hence, why I specifically stated current product. As in right now.
    The product is not just the game client and server. It's also things like GMs to handle in-game problems, and community reps, and so on.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #195
    Director of Global Communications dahanese's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    @Dahanese:

    I shared your same job title when I was a community director for a certain pirate game. I managed the department and worked behind the scenes to support a lot of great people. I too saw the winnowing of my team as the game slowly began to decline. It's rough having to gradually give 75% of your friends and coworkers pink slips.

    So, I can empathize with your dilemma.

    On the other hand... after I laid off the last person, I also resigned and haven't worked in the MMO industry since. I'm a person of honor and integrity... and being complicit in a system that thinks community service professionals are expendable... eh, just wasn't in my best interests (and still isn't).

    Decisions like these are made with a bottom line in mind. Costs are cut and the perceived value of service that players notice declines as community problems stack up and the company loses the ability to support itself. Revenues then decline further and more measures are put in place to further reduce costs... and so on. The loser here is always the players and they vote with their wallets. One day, MMO companies will learn this... but not today it seems.

    I am not and never was a fan of Elrar's job title (you can do his position with a community volunteer and get them to make livestreams for you... that's one thing I did). I don't know the reason for his departure but I'm betting it was economic (as were all the other major changes recently). He was a good guy though and the community is lesser for him being gone.

    Either way, I don't envy your position. I've been there and... for me... I resigned and went off to beat my own drum. I've often thought of coming back to the industry but... not today and probably not tomorrow either.
    Laeris -

    Thanks for your honesty. I am not going to go into details of any of employees - some leave for new jobs. Some are let go for a variety of reasons. I wish them the best and I can tell you it's never fun to have someone leave but regardless of the circumstance, I always want what is best for them. And I agree with you on the honor and integrity part and live my life by the same code. You guys can and will draw your own assumptions and judge me and I can't pretend I love that and I'm not saddened by the negativity but it's my job to do right by you and that's all.

    One thing I can tell you is that I like to be more involved with the community. That change is one I've made and I'm very, very happy with. I never believe that "leveling up" means "moving beyond talking with the community." Elrar always had the forums covered and sometimes it's better to have one voice than step in and end up talking over each other, but I'm here now and I'm sticking around.

    How you guys take that is entirely up to you - but I hope I do right by you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts