+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Flickering Terrain Worse Than Ever

Default Flickering Terrain Worse Than Ever

The flickering terrain seems to be a gradually worsening issue. Lately I'm restarting Rift every hour or two to deal with it. Occasionally I'm lucky enough that the terrain merely changes textures instead of blinking in and out of existence like a cat. Is this still being tracked down by Trion? Does anyone know of a stable nVidia driver I can revert to to minimize the issue? I have a GTX 570 if that's relevant.

I agree. Especially foliage is going crazy lately
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Promising preview! The less Rift conforms with the preferences of someone who still plays VG, the better for the vast majority of potential customers out there.
    Winzhi Defiant Mage

Telaran

For me it seems to be happening more in SL than in the old Mathosia. Extremely annoying. I am using a AMD 7850. My wife also experiences this issue with her AMD 6870. We are both using the latest whql drivers. Anyone have a fix for it?

Yes. I too had this problem. It was incredibly annoying. The fix is simple, lower your graphic settings. If you look in the "Tech Forum" you will come to the rude awakening that Rift, in general, can care less if your running the fastest graphics card ever constructed by mankind. The engine is simply not built to handle the heavy graphical overload Trion created for rift. At first it will be hard. I have a GTX 690 and believe me, washing down Rift on lower settings while running with that puppy under the hood, traumatic to say the least. But, in time you adapt. It's just the only way to actually enjoy the game. No flickering, No lag during massive outdoor raids, and no magical landscape. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by azazel01 View Post
    Yes. I too had this problem. It was incredibly annoying. The fix is simple, lower your graphic settings. If you look in the "Tech Forum" you will come to the rude awakening that Rift, in general, can care less if your running the fastest graphics card ever constructed by mankind. The engine is simply not built to handle the heavy graphical overload Trion created for rift. At first it will be hard. I have a GTX 690 and believe me, washing down Rift on lower settings while running with that puppy under the hood, traumatic to say the least. But, in time you adapt. It's just the only way to actually enjoy the game. No flickering, No lag during massive outdoor raids, and no magical landscape. Simple as that.
    If you are turning Rift down on a GTX 690 then you might want to look at what other issues you might have. What system spec is the rest of your machine?
    Quote Originally Posted by martroll View Post
    if rift comes good it be bye bye wow.

Soulwalker

I have a up to date gaming rig with a gtx780 and experiance low fps and flickering in game, so its Trion and its unwillingness to fix the basic engine, not the computer. Many others have the same issues and not a damn thing has been done to address this. Who cares about demensions and that crap, fix the low fps and flickering problems please.

Ascendant

Yip, never had it before patch 14.5 and I'm crashing regularly too.

Not seeing this on my GTX560 Ti any more than normal. Typically I only see it after I've been online for a couple of hours and running around Ashora, which also includes tabbing out of the game several times.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by DegnaRed View Post
    The flickering terrain seems to be a gradually worsening issue. Lately I'm restarting Rift every hour or two to deal with it. Occasionally I'm lucky enough that the terrain merely changes textures instead of blinking in and out of existence like a cat. Is this still being tracked down by Trion? Does anyone know of a stable nVidia driver I can revert to to minimize the issue? I have a GTX 570 if that's relevant.
    It isn't the driver, it's the game

I've played Rift on my 2x GTX Titans SLI rig and my GTX 780 rig, both run on i7 3770k's .... It's the game engine

Ascendant

Like many other game issues in all MMO's its non systemic. It only happens to some people and has nothing to do with your specs really and as such has nothing to do with graphical overload on Trion's part. I have a 560TI and this almost never happens. In fact I haven't had this issue since I beta tested SL. Graphically I have the game set to high and maintain about 40-27 fps (40ish in the world, 27 ish in the cities/conquest).
    Last edited by Khelendross; 08-14-2013 at 06:07 AM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Quote Originally Posted by azazel01 View Post
    Lowering graphics isn't a fix; at least not for me.

I decided one week to put my graphics on absolute minimum and slowly turn on settings to find the one that was doing it.

It did it about an hour after I turned off (or down to min) every setting.

EDIT: Oh, and I did do a restart so all changes would take effect.
    Last edited by xanduin246; 08-14-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Been getting the same flickering issues significantly more often since 2.3 - prior to that it was usually something that only happened occasionally, but lately (along with the crashing on porting) it's been happening all the damned time.

Re: drivers etc as mentioned above, there's nothing to be done about it except continually bring it to Trion's attention in the hope they prioritise it a bit higher, because it's crippling the game for a lot of us.

It used to be it would happen to me after I'd been logged in for some time, or had alt-tabbed out of the game at least once. Now it happens right off the bat. I can log in fresh, hit Ashora, and flicker-a-go-go.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

I turned my texture quality down from 3 to 2 and never had a problem again for sometime.

gtx580

Shouldn't have to do that of course.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 08-14-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Anyone posting on this thread and claiming that it is a player side issue clearly has not played this game from launch and is only now coming into terms with the horrific Rift engine. First off, rift is extremely more dependent on your CPU then your GPU. Secondly, this issue has been complaint about since launch in 2011. And last but not least, there has NEVER been any indication that Trion gives a flying F* what rig your playing on as long as your able to log on, play, and see the content. Look at my previous post in the last three years and you will see what I am talking about. Simply stated, lower the setting if stuttering, flickering, or low FPS causes any discomfort because its CLEARLY here to stay. Don't get me wrong, even with all the graphical glitches, this game far and beyond stomps the competition in both graphics and gameplay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast