+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rift (Performance) Patch coming when........

Originally Posted by Valavus ;

"I hear a tale that Trion finally got the rights to edit their engine. And this was about a month ago, so I would fully expect to see some improvements in 2.4 or 2.5. "

I hope they can do a better job then Mythic.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas79 View Post
    Ah yes, very interesting. The last patch was suppose to be the performance patch, largely forgotten because of all the Mage buffs.
    Try to keep your mage hate to the cleric forums this is not a thread for that

Rift performance is pretty poor for a lot of people, Trion has said they are working on it

thats good enough for me for now, so wish they would work on it a little faster but oh well, they do what they can do I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valavus View Post
    I hear a tale that Trion finally got the rights to edit their engine. And this was about a month ago, so I would fully expect to see some improvements in 2.4 or 2.5.
    Pretty sure that can't be right.

1. They've been editing it all along.
    2. I know for sure that the current round of performance work goes back lots more than a month. You can see it by the holes in the addon API development work, because Zorba's been working on both of these.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vale View Post
    They always had the rights to 'edit' it. That's part of the problem. They heavily modified a crappy game engine, and we've been dealing with the results of those poor decisions since the game launched.
    True. Although I am not entirely convinced those decisions were all poor given the information available when they were being made. MMO development is about tradeoffs.

They may have recently decided to upgrade the engine, or try to do a performance optimization pass on it, but to be honest they've had two years to do so. And that was while they were getting subscription money. Now that they've cut a lot of staff and gone to F2P, I have to wonder if they have the resources left to do anything with regards to optimization or performance improvements.
    I understand that they have been hiring of late, probably because F2P has massively increased revenues -- as we'd expect it to. Zorba mentioned in passing that there was a dedicated rendering guy working on some of this stuff now, in addition to the work he was already doing.

I think it's mostly a question of tradeoffs and evaluations. Any work you do means other work doesn't get done. The number of people who have 3-4+ core machines is higher now than it was in 2011, and the number of people whose graphics cards are plenty adequate, so we actually care more about CPU limitations than we used to, has also increased. Add in a significant increase in budget, and a lot of other major projects being done, and it isn't implausible that this would have been a lower priority in the past than it is now.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Navish View Post
    Please Trion stop adding new content and fix all the performance issues for all shards/players.

If you know any solution for better rift performance please post below.
    Call me crazy, but I don't really want content creators working on performance issues.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Alefroth View Post
    Call me crazy, but I don't really want content creators working on performance issues.
    Well said. Could you imagine the lore creator programming the engine?

Incoming Server downtime message:
    "You have not revered the aspect of the server as well as you should have. And it has died".

Plane Touched

Performance yes please, also this game crashes more then ever since 2.3.
    Really it crashes a lot. Playing full day like ~20 times, just rift crash, not pc.
    Sureley something was done since 2.3 performance wise but also something broke !

Rift Disciple

I had very bad game performance when I was using an AMD fx-4100 chip but I recently swapped to an intel 4570k and the difference is amazing. I managed about 25-30 fps on Volen compared to the 3 or 4 I was getting before.

Maybe the game runs poorly due to hardware moreso than optimization?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymorphone View Post
    Performance yes please, also this game crashes more then ever since 2.3.
    Really it crashes a lot. Playing full day like ~20 times, just rift crash, not pc.
    Sureley something was done since 2.3 performance wise but also something broke !
    Yea, I agree that since 2.3 the performance of the game has severely decreased.But its not fair to the people who have high-end gaming computers to be getting only 5-25 fps. Rift is a amazing game but with adding some fixes on the server side or game engine would even make it better.

Hoping whatever comes down the pipe soon, too. I know I've vocalized my crash issue before, and the best I got out of it was, "It's your system, sorry..." but I just refuse to believe that when I'm playing other games without issue. There's something specific to Rift that's been causing my game to spontaneously spaz even on the most minimal settings and it's because of these crashes I haven't been playing at all lately. Just hard to care when you need 5 minutes to reboot your PC and log in, just for it to happen again 10 minutes later. I just feel like something happened under the hood with SL that's the culprit, as I never really experienced it before then.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Hoping whatever comes down the pipe soon, too. I know I've vocalized my crash issue before, and the best I got out of it was, "It's your system, sorry..." but I just refuse to believe that when I'm playing other games without issue. There's something specific to Rift that's been causing my game to spontaneously spaz even on the most minimal settings and it's because of these crashes I haven't been playing at all lately. Just hard to care when you need 5 minutes to reboot your PC and log in, just for it to happen again 10 minutes later. I just feel like something happened under the hood with SL that's the culprit, as I never really experienced it before then.
    Speaking of your issue, Rift servers crashed today at night then came back up with 1000+ ms ping and has only decreased to 200. Really come on never had issues in any other games with constant lag and crashes.

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #27
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Navish View Post
    Speaking of your issue, Rift servers crashed today at night then came back up with 1000+ ms ping and has only decreased to 200. Really come on never had issues in any other games with constant lag and crashes.
    Hey folks, just checked the on-call chat before heading to bed. It appears that this is not actually on our end specifically but a major ISP is doing maintenance which is causing connectivity issues for some users with our data center.

Estimated time of the maintenance from said ISP is apparently 6:00 AM.

Sorry folks -- this appears to be out of our hands at the moment but I assure you jets were scrambled on our end to make sure it was not something we could address.

~Daglar

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Hey folks, just checked the on-call chat before heading to bed. It appears that this is not actually on our end specifically but a major ISP is doing maintenance which is causing connectivity issues for some users with our data center.

Estimated time of the maintenance from said ISP is apparently 6:00 AM.

Sorry folks -- this appears to be out of our hands at the moment but I assure you jets were scrambled on our end to make sure it was not something we could address.

~Daglar
    Thanks for the update Daglar, whenever I see a admin finally replay back it sorta restores faith to the community again.

Daglar : rather then copy and paste this message to like five other different threads, you could answer, hows the progress going on improving multicore performance.
    It will make us happy, rather then leave us in the dark.

You also promised option to resize trader UI, its been already 11 hotfixes and nothing has been done.
    - Asus Maximus V GENE - Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4 Ghz + Gelid Solution Tranquillo rev.2 -
    - 8 GB DDR3 CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport VLP 1600MHz CL9 1.35V @ 2000Mhz CL11 1.65V -
    - Gigabyte Geforce 660 (GV-N660OC-2GD) 1200/6500 - 240 GB Kingston HyperX 3K -
    - Enermax Platimax 600W - Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl -

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    I'm getting 20+ FPS with 4 raids pounding on the world bosses and my machine is considered mainstream at the current day and age.
    And do you think you see all the people at once?
    Because yesterday when we did weekly quest for raid bosses on zaviel, we had 8 raids and not even half people were visible, until you run really close to them, thats how they "improve" the performance. Otherwise you would get fps with single digits.
    This proved to be fatal problem in conquests, you ran towards possible enemy location and suddenly they appeared only if you get close to them and before you could do anything, you died.
    - Asus Maximus V GENE - Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4 Ghz + Gelid Solution Tranquillo rev.2 -
    - 8 GB DDR3 CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport VLP 1600MHz CL9 1.35V @ 2000Mhz CL11 1.65V -
    - Gigabyte Geforce 660 (GV-N660OC-2GD) 1200/6500 - 240 GB Kingston HyperX 3K -
    - Enermax Platimax 600W - Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast