+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Like Tree14Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Revamped quest lines in Freemarch and Silverwood: Nice work!

  1. #16
    Ascendant July13th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    I like the Carnage Quests. I prefer these to the kill x number of mobs quest. I think a lot of the quests in Mathosia could be switched to carnage quests and overall it will be great. I think SL content had a bit too much of them in places but overall they are superior way to have kill x quests.

  2. #17
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by July13th View Post
    I like the Carnage Quests. I prefer these to the kill x number of mobs quest. I think a lot of the quests in Mathosia could be switched to carnage quests and overall it will be great. I think SL content had a bit too much of them in places but overall they are superior way to have kill x quests.
    Same. Both IA and Carnage systems are fine in themselves, but they need significant changes for 3.0 in order to not tick me off lol.

    IA needs a way to make sure I'm in a PARTY when I join one. Yes, this means cross-shard IAs for zones by default, not through the CrossEvents player-made channel. It also needs more cool stuff.

    The nerfed carnage kill requirements in Storm Legion is JUST right. I'd want 3.0 to launch with that. I'd also want more of a focus on story/cool quests, and 50% less Carnage quests. Just because there's an empty area on the map, that doesn't mean you should only fill it with pretty random mobs and Carnage quests for them. Better to just design the zone to not require the devs to fill areas of it with only Carnage quests....
    (The first 2-3 zones of each continent are ok, but then turn into a more lazy feeling)

    Basically, I want zones and activities in the Plane of Water to be done with *focused intent* again, not "Make a giant zone and people will love the giantness of it.. oh wait, we need to have content to put in it... here's some 'pick up x' and 'kill 20+' Carnage quests! YAY!".

    Given that the level cap increase is only by 5, and that we're only getting several zones at launch instead of 11 or 10, I really hope Trion takes this as an opportunity to have questing be more interesting again. Not that Classic questing was enrapturing, but the Sagas and Scotty and Kain and Hylas etc stories made things have more flow than a single (better than Classic ones, I admit) giant questline but everything else mostly just be kill/collect with little narrative.


    As for current Mathosia zones, whatever . I only ask that it is done in a way that does NOT eliminate ANY remotely relevant lore. Freemarch and Silverwood were slightly annoying, but overall ok with the changes because pretty much 80-90% of the story is intact, unlike the giant wtfnerfbat done to Mathosia/Terminus. I honestly don't mind most of what was done to the Lv 6-20 zones, so go ahead with it, just don't get too carried away.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 07-22-2013 at 11:54 AM.

  3. #18
    Ascendant Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    The kill x boss and kill y minions weren't particularly sexy but they had a reason.
    time filler. just like carnage quests.

    carnage quest: kill 10 boars
    "story" quest: quickly ascended, we need you to kill 10 boars else <random fluff happens>
    "story" quest2: quickly ascended, we need you to bring me 10 boar snouts (by killing them) else <random fluff happens>

    none of that is really relevant. I sure love to fortify yet another questhub and gather supplies for some various reason which all boils down to starting a genocide on the local wildlife
    Last edited by Gray; 07-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.

  4.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #19
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    To clarify a bit - any Carnages in GW/SF will be conversions of existing kill quests. We are NOT combing through the mob pop to find places to add more Carnages. Nor are we increasing any kill totals - I was one of the people that eagerly assisted with reducing the kill totals needed in the SL zone Carnages.

    And it is from this foundation - that we are cautiously testing the waters - not carnage everywhere, not grindy kill counts, not reduced reward payouts. That said, I also agree that an improvement of how Carnage is presented would be welcome, but that would not be a short term item.

    And like in FM/SW, the goal here is to put more emphasis on the story quests and to make those story quests more interesting.


    *edit to add* Oh, also, any quest converted to Carnage has also had its factional pre-req stripped - so those of you playing IA on most shards can easily piggyback some XP payout. A little bit less useful for those of us that play on PvP shards. ;)
    Last edited by Salvatrix; 07-22-2013 at 12:41 PM.

  5. #20
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    To clarify a bit - any Carnages in GW/SF will be conversions of existing kill quests. We are NOT combing through the mob pop to find places to add more Carnages. Nor are we increasing any kill totals - I was one of the people that eagerly assisted with reducing the kill totals needed in the SL zone Carnages.

    And it is from this foundation - that we are cautiously testing the waters - not carnage everywhere, not grindy kill counts, not reduced reward payouts. That said, I also agree that an improvement of how Carnage is presented would be welcome, but that would not be a short term item.

    And like in FM/SW, the goal here is to put more emphasis on the story quests and to make those story quests more interesting.


    *edit to add* Oh, also, any quest converted to Carnage has also had its factional pre-req stripped - so those of you playing IA on most shards can easily piggyback some XP payout. A little bit less useful for those of us that play on PvP shards. ;)
    Ok, I'll forgive you but only because you nerfed carnage.

  6. #21
    Champion EvilDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Thanks for the heads up there Seebsy. Going to mentor my Mage this evening and run those quest lines for a bit of a change up.
    Quote Originally Posted by martroll View Post
    if rift comes good it be bye bye wow.

  7. #22
    Ascendant July13th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    IA needs a way to make sure I'm in a PARTY when I join one. Yes, this means cross-shard IAs for zones by default, not through the CrossEvents player-made channel. It also needs more cool stuff.
    Yes, Yes, Yes. Pretty much everytime I do IA I am usually the only one in party. I think cross shard IA would be a major improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I'd want 3.0 to launch with that. I'd also want more of a focus on story/cool quests, and 50% less Carnage quests. Just because there's an empty area on the map, that doesn't mean you should only fill it with pretty random mobs and Carnage quests for them. Better to just design the zone to not require the devs to fill areas of it with only Carnage quests....
    (The first 2-3 zones of each continent are ok, but then turn into a more lazy feeling)
    I wouldnt say 50% less but you are right that the further in the expansion feels like they ran out of time and just added way more carnage quests
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Given that the level cap increase is only by 5, and that we're only getting several zones at launch instead of 11 or 10, I really hope Trion takes this as an opportunity to have questing be more interesting again. Not that Classic questing was enrapturing, but the Sagas and Scotty and Kain and Hylas etc stories made things have more flow than a single (better than Classic ones, I admit) giant questline but everything else mostly just be kill/collect with little narrative.
    I was kinda hoping that the story line/story quests would be an epic saga quest similar to endless/aelfwar ones that lead you to dungeons, had various types of content included, and lasted for several levels. The Saga quests were great in classic and want to see them come back.

  8. #23
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,615

    Default

    To be clear, I meant more like 50% (ish) less in terms of percentage, not quantity itself. If there's a lot more quests per zone in general, I'd be ok with as many Carnage quests that currently exist in Storm Legion zones.

  9. #24
    Telaran Maelynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Gloamwood and Stonefield revamps are on the way as well, tentatively planned for release before 2.4.



    I am testing the waters for more carnage style quests in Stonefield and Gloamwood, and we'll see how the reception is.
    I say HOORAY for that! Yes, the Freemarch and Silverwood questing styles are much better; speaking as someone who's going through the Gloamwood quests as I post this.... well... I'm REALLY glad to hear they're being revamped to flow like Silverwood. Whew! Will streamline things and help the flow along. THANK YOU for that!

  10. #25
    Ascendant Ajax1114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    For future reference, my main issue with carnage in SL zones was that the sheer number of them was overwhelming. I could be running toward a quest objective and run past a good 2-3 carnages just on the way there. Some of them I might pick up inadvertently, cause of getting knocked off my mount and fighting back, or some such.

    The result was that I was always painfully aware of just how many carnage quests were out there and, short of abandoning the quests or carefully avoiding mobs (both of which disrupt the flow of gameplay), I had little control over when and how to do them.

    I think I'd be interested in a model of kill quest that is more general than specific (ex: kill 20 mobs in harlan's vista or knight's stand or whatever, as opposed to kill every single mob type that exists in the game by name and kill each at least 8 times). If some of the quests are more general, then I think I would feel less disrupted - instead of running toward a story quest and stopping to handle 3 extra carnage quests, I can continue working on a more global area carnage that I picked up, both on my way to the story and while doing it.

    In that sense, the point would boil down to "kill enemies X number of times," which is, I think, the core principle of such quests in the first place. And I don't think that principle should be lost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts