+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 44 of 44
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Do people actually enjoy the "new" leveling experience?

  1. #31
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonblade View Post
    The thing is, it isn't slow. It's quite quick by MMO standards. If you are new to the genre from a game like say, Skyrim, yea it's going to be slower. But this is a quickly leveled MMO no matter how you look at it.

    It just requires you to actually think for a few minutes about the best route/plan to clear a zone rather than just queue up for an IA and piggy back on other people.
    i do not think rift is slow now for the most part, though some quest hubs are extremely tedious.
    you start out with kill and gather x of y. now go back and do this and that. now go back and do something else. like seriously, why didnt you give me the full list to start with instead of 5 round trips?

    i am digressing though. in general the posts on the front page were talking about how its faster now so its so easy. i do not think time spent should equal challenge.

    challenge is accomplishing something that is difficult. like finishing a quest of all elite mobs while you are solo.

    time spent is not a challenge. it just means those with less real life are the ones who get to enjoy end game.

  2. #32
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    To be Honest its hard to say wether you can enjoy something that takes 10 minutes to complete.
    Oh I can enjoy it before it even starts, but it usually doesn't last longer than 2 minutes

  3. #33
    Plane Touched cYan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Its not really a complaint about it not being slow. Its a complaint that you don't even have to learn any of your skills until you step foot in a SL zone, making the 50 level "tutorial" even more a waste of time

    Mobs hardly do any damage, even to a mage, no reason to use cool downs, no reason to use anything other than your filler skills.
    Last edited by cYan; 07-12-2013 at 07:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Promising preview! The less Rift conforms with the preferences of someone who still plays VG, the better for the vast majority of potential customers out there.
    Winzhi Defiant Mage

  4. #34
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I haven't redone the whole levelling process recently or anything, but I've done the starting zones on both sides, and I like them better now. They weren't hard before, they just took longer. In the 15-20 times I went through them, I died exactly once -- trying to pull a single target with a cabalist, and accidentally getting two. Back when that was a problem. Apart from that... Nope. Not hard, just a larger number of not-particularly-interesting things.

    I do remember a few things that were significantly harder in ways that actually mattered -- say, the Endless Nightbringers, I think it was, in Smith's Haven. And the thing is, I do know at least one person who quit because that was too tedious-or-fatal.

    I guess I just don't accept the underlying premise that "doing things which are not actually hard many more times" is the same thing as "more challenging". I am especially confused to see people complaining about Carnage quests and complaining about the lowbie zones requiring less tedious/mindless killing.
    People like it when content is challenging, because it forces people to band together to do it.

    Making me require to think about mana, think about rotation and kill mobs slower and have a chance of dying was way more entertainin gthat going around 2 hitting mobs.

    Y'all keep thinking 1-60 is some kinda tutoiral. It's the WHOLE game.

  5. #35
    Shield of Telara Kelvenaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloesd View Post
    People like it when content is challenging, because it forces people to band together to do it.

    Making me require to think about mana, think about rotation and kill mobs slower and have a chance of dying was way more entertainin gthat going around 2 hitting mobs.

    Y'all keep thinking 1-60 is some kinda tutoiral. It's the WHOLE game.
    I think the problem is this.. A lot of us at the start of SL did not find it threatening or hard or need to change our rotations... the mobs just took longer to kill and it was and is very boring... still.

    There is no threat leveling solo in SL zones at level as it is meant to be, it just gets boring the length of time it takes to kill the mobs.

  6. #36
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvenaru View Post
    I think the problem is this.. A lot of us at the start of SL did not find it threatening or hard or need to change our rotations... the mobs just took longer to kill and it was and is very boring... still.

    There is no threat leveling solo in SL zones at level as it is meant to be, it just gets boring the length of time it takes to kill the mobs.
    Make the mobs hit harder.

    Nothing causes adrenaline like kiting something that can 4-5 hit you.

  7. #37
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloesd View Post
    People like it when content is challenging, because it forces people to band together to do it.
    Forcing people to band together has several problems.

    First: Any time you have to force your players to do something, you are acknowledging that whatever it is is not fun and they would not do it willingly. Otherwise, you wouldn't be forcing them.
    Second: Once you banded together, everything was totally faceroll easy, meaning that there was no real "challenge" involved.

    Making me require to think about mana, think about rotation and kill mobs slower and have a chance of dying was way more entertainin gthat going around 2 hitting mobs.
    See, this I sort of agree with, but I don't think it's supported at all by the previous claim. Thing is, killing slower... Actually sort of boring. Chance of dying can be okay, but I like it to be a chance of dying if I screw up, not just a chance of randomly being totally overwhelmed and having no chance.

    I do think it's interesting how little resource management is left in most of the game.

    Y'all keep thinking 1-60 is some kinda tutoiral. It's the WHOLE game.
    That's how I usually view it, since I almost never do endgame stuff in MMOs.

    Thing is, there's some things I'd sort of prefer to be a little tougher, but other things where I don't feel that I'm losing any challenge, just losing tedium. The stray lone mobs on the road were rarely if ever an actual threat, they were just a reason to spend a few seconds not moving before going back to moving.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  8. #38
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloesd View Post
    Make the mobs hit harder.

    Nothing causes adrenaline like kiting something that can 4-5 hit you.
    Not all players want adrenaline.

    And I think that's the real problem here: You simply can't make a game which is ideal for both players who do want adrenaline, and players who don't.

    There's also the problem that spec variance prevents closely-tuned fights for solo content. If a fight is closely tuned for a particularly good build, it'll kill everyone else. If it's closely tuned for a weak build, it'll be faceroll-easy for everyone else. If it's closely tuned for the average, it'll be boring for some players, and frustratingly hard for others. Good luck fixing that!
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  9. #39
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloesd View Post
    Make the mobs hit harder.

    Nothing causes adrenaline like kiting something that can 4-5 hit you.
    Yeah, brings back memories of Vanguard. Loved to solo 4-dot mobs on my druid, even though it took some time to kill them and the reward wasn't much. I just liked it because it was a challenge. Or fighting a notorious monster with my red mage in FFXI.

    I whish there was a more up-to-date game where you could do stuff like that, or even better have those challenges in Rift

  10. #40
    Telaran Gogr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default PvP bonuses

    just to add my 2 cents, something has to be done with the way PvP generates too much XP's

    I like PvP but I try to avoid it now when I realized that it gives out tons of XP's. In my opinion XP's should only be given for exploring the game. May be first time visiting each warfront deserves some XP's as visiting new area, but this should not be every time. People would still do PvP for favor and gear I think.

    As it is now, if you play too much PvP you level up too quick and miss all of the good content at middle levels. Mentoring down does not really help much because it is boring and there is no point to go back to some place you have been before.

    I am about to run out of challenging quests, and then what am I going to do?

  11. #41
    Plane Touched Fizzypop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    298

    Default

    I use mentor to set my level much lower than mobs in the area just so I can get a hint of challenge when leveling. It's kind of fun to see how far I can go down.

  12. #42
    Plane Walker Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gogr View Post
    just to add my 2 cents, something has to be done with the way PvP generates too much XP's

    I like PvP but I try to avoid it now when I realized that it gives out tons of XP's. In my opinion XP's should only be given for exploring the game. May be first time visiting each warfront deserves some XP's as visiting new area, but this should not be every time. People would still do PvP for favor and gear I think.

    As it is now, if you play too much PvP you level up too quick and miss all of the good content at middle levels. Mentoring down does not really help much because it is boring and there is no point to go back to some place you have been before.

    I am about to run out of challenging quests, and then what am I going to do?
    I hear your pain Gogr but if you weren't around when they tried xp locking in PvP you may not have seen the madness. Players would get to the top of the tier (say 39 in the 30-39 bracket) and they would lock Xp and twink the max amount of gear allowed now you not only have fresh 30s against 39s but you have twinked 39s decimating people 1v5 and then more and more people followed suit to the point that queuing sub 39 was pointless

    Because end game rift PvP is gear = win people were xp locking just under the top tier to earn enough favor for gear as to not to be lolstomped in 2gcds. Some might think that is a good thing but it drastically affected queues and queue time and provided the same environment as the previous paragraph.

    Long story short for PvE questing you can manually mentor (down level yourself) to finish up an area without being too op. This can be done by right clicking your portrait and selecting the option and desired level
    Last edited by Malvolio; 07-12-2013 at 01:45 PM.

  13. #43
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Not all players want adrenaline.

    And I think that's the real problem here: You simply can't make a game which is ideal for both players who do want adrenaline, and players who don't.

    There's also the problem that spec variance prevents closely-tuned fights for solo content. If a fight is closely tuned for a particularly good build, it'll kill everyone else. If it's closely tuned for a weak build, it'll be faceroll-easy for everyone else. If it's closely tuned for the average, it'll be boring for some players, and frustratingly hard for others. Good luck fixing that!
    Perhaps it is difficult to get the entire game ideal for players that desire such a variety of difficulty in the open world. Personally I believe Trion had it pretty close to right when the game was young. Much of the questing could be accomplished by players that wanted to just glance at the screen while watching TV at the same time. Still, there were areas where mob density would cause you to die if not careful. Also there were some quests that required more. The giants in Stonefield for example (many more, just using this one to explain). I remember either waiting for another player to come along or switching to a tank spec, make sure all my cooldowns were ready, heal pots as well. Don't forget to clear the surrounding area of regular mobs you might aggro as you run around kiting when needed....It was quite fun to beat one with a sliver of health left. And yet if I wanted to avoid any challenges, there was plenty of other things to do as well.

    Rather than keep a variety of options open to players, Trion once again chooses to dumb down the entire content to the lowest common denominator (my beloved EI as well) . It almost seems like the reflex response from the Devs now. Having pretty much zero challenge to the entire old world has ruined my desire to level another alt. Being an altoholic, that is pretty sad.



    TL;DR: I actually have no enjoyment out of the new leveling experience. I don't understand the need to completely grind it in the dust. The variety of the young Rift was much better.
    Last edited by Kharvyn; 07-12-2013 at 02:35 PM.

  14. #44
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    does no one enjoy exploring things any more? yes it might take a while in sl.. but im having a blast with all the new areas to explore and the new dungeons i can enter along the way.

    I have never understand why people try to rush to max level,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts