Closed Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gashieldon
  • 2 Post By Dyeus
  • 1 Post By Dyeus

Thread: Buying Rex vs Buying Credits

Soulwalker

Default Buying Rex vs Buying Credits

Hello, I don't really know what topic this belongs to so I just decided to put this here.
    I have never purchased credits but I checked the rift store a couple of times and it baffles me why would Trion put in the option to purchase only credits while the Rex option is better.

The Rex option gives 1250 credits + rex (another 1250 credits and 2500 loyalty) for $10
    which is equal to 2500 credits/10 dollars or 250 credits/dollar.

Purchasing credits directly is 750 credits for 5 dollars so 150 credits/dollar. The ratio gets better with each larger package.

So assuming the player uses rex for himself and doesn't basically buying rex and credits would easily outclass every other payment option. Now I highly doubt this is really hard to see through so why would Trion implement such a large difference in purchasing power.

Quote Originally Posted by gashieldon View Post
    it baffles me why would Trion put in the option to purchase only credits while the Rex option is better.
    Capitalizing off of people's ignorance and laziness. Businesses do it all the time.

You get 1250 credits for $10. that is 125c/$.

Buying credits directly, you can get 3250 for $20 = 162.5c/$.

Best case is $100 for 18,500 credits = 185c/$. That is almost 50% more credits per dollar than buying REX.

So, REX VS Direct Credits comes down to whether you care more about loyalty or more about credits themselves.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Omni View Post
    Capitalizing off of people's ignorance and laziness. Businesses do it all the time.
    Indeed, it's certainly the lazy and ignorant who'll buy Rex unless they're knowingly putting a cash value on Loyalty.
    Last edited by Kerin; 07-03-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    Indeed, it's certainly the lazy and ignorant who'll buy Rex unless they're knowingly putting a cash value on Loyalty.

I buy my Rex with plat. I also offer plat to players to gift me items.

Im not going to spend RL money on pixel crap. Let some other fool do it.

That is what I mean by lazy.

Rift Chaser

The Rex option gives 1250 credits + rex (another 1250 credits and 2500 loyalty) for $10
    That's a misunderstanding from your part...

What the option shows is that you can buy a REX : Rift Exchange for 10$ and that item is worth 1250 credits. You don't get credits and REX : Rift Exchange, only the item.
    Patron passes loyalty <-- Explanation
    Errors 3145 (or this if it doesn't work.), 2016 (Kapersky Anti-virus) and 1016.
    Most errors on the patcher can be corrected by logging as Guest and/or restarting your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    I'm sorry to ruin any conspiracy theories though

Rift Chaser

No, you've misunderstood. Buying Rex gets you the Rex only, there are no other credits with it. So credits bought that way are MORE expensive than buying them directly.

Telaran

So the question becomes why would anyone want to buy REX in preference to credits? That's the question that's been puzzling me and I thought what was going to be asked.

Just to throw another wrench into the discussion,

When you buy credits, you get the loyalty for buying them, when you buy rex, you get no loyalty for that $10 you just spent.

Ex. Buying 2 $5 credit packages, will get you 1500 credits and 6000 loyalty for buying, then spending those credits.
    buying one rex and using it, will get you 1250 credits and 5000 loyalty after spending those credits
    Last edited by Linmor; 07-03-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pixie View Post
    So the question becomes why would anyone want to buy REX in preference to credits? That's the question that's been puzzling me and I thought what was going to be asked.
    So you can trade them with others for in-game plat. Except you can gift people stuff...

The pros of selling REX instead of gifting stuff for plat are the ability to post it on the AH, and the security of the physical trade as opposed to the gifting and exchange of plat not being tied to one another (not happening at the same time like with the trade window) allowing for scams where one party does not pay/perform the gift service.

The cons are that it is more expensive (credits wise) to buy REX than to purchase credits in packs of $20 or more.

To sell the REX item for plat, or trade for other high value in-game goods. It is not meant to be used by the same person that pays the $10 for it, but used as an alternative currency in the game's economy.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

Rift Chaser

The point of buying Rex is if you want to turn real money into Plat. Your $10 will get you 800 - 1000 plat at current prices

REX is trad-able. People buy them to sell them to other players who want to buy credits with in game currency and not real money. 1 REX usually goes for 800-1200 Platinum.

Agrona/Hailol-Glen of Monrylee, Souq Asha, Shangri La; Aggy/Faeblight-Remnants of Atlantis; Sheelana/Hailol-RobCo Industries; Caladria/Faeblight-Ynys Afallach; Bodicca/Faeblight: Uznahgaar Volum

Soulwalker

Ok thanks for the info.
    Now that I understand that buying rex does not give bonus credits, I have another question:
    Rex is currently the connection between plat to credits and 1000 plat can get you 1 rex which is 1250 credits and 2500 loyalty. Wouldn't this massively deflate the value of some of the other in game mounts.

One example is the arachne mount which costs 200 lucky coins or 700 credits. Buying enough artifacts to get 200 lucky coins would cost an obscene amount of money well over 2000 plat, but with 1000 plat, I can convert that into 1250 credits and buy the arachne mount and have 550 credits left over. This all seems really sketchy, so that's why I'm asking this.

Ok thanks for the info.
    Now that I understand that buying rex does not give bonus credits, I have another question:
    Rex is currently the connection between plat to credits and 1000 plat can get you 1 rex which is 1250 credits and 2500 loyalty. Wouldn't this massively deflate the value of some of the other in game mounts.

One example is the arachne mount which costs 200 lucky coins or 700 credits. Buying enough artifacts to get 200 lucky coins would cost an obscene amount of money well over 2000 plat, but with 1000 plat, I can convert that into 1250 credits and buy the arachne mount and have 550 credits left over. This all seems really sketchy, so that's why I'm asking this.
    That is one of the big exceptions. I don't understand why they made that mount purchasable with credits instead of making a different skin to sell for credits, like what happened with the rep mounts.

Closed Thread