+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift shutting down my computer.

Default Rift shutting down my computer.

This has never happened before in any of the other betas or any other game, but after about 5-10 mins my computer just shuts down while playing rift. I'm thinking it might be due to over heating but I have two fans and a desk fan pulling the hot air out. HELP!

Take the side panel off your computer and see
    Dru

Rift Disciple

You are not on your own with this problem.
    ATI cards seem to be having issues with Rift (I have then and am using an ATI 4xxxx)
    I am hoping that either Trion or AMD, or both can fix this, for the way it looks right now the game is unplayable for a significant sector of the target market.

Yea I have ATI 5870

Telaran

Default Not just ATI

I have a GeForce 8800 GTS that is shutting down too.

I know nothing is wrong with my system as far as over heating because I can leave it on all day long doing something else and it's only when I play Rift that it shuts down.

ATI Radeon HD 5450 and this game is barely running. 15fps on minimum detail regularly and 7fps in battles. This should not be happening.

Last time I was having this issue, my mobo was actually starting to go bad (which probably isn't the case for you, hopefully).

I'd make sure there's ample circulation in your case and make sure to remove all dust bunnies in your fans (if any). If it persists, sometimes it's your graphics card drawing too much power from your supply (usually a lower-watt supply) which prompts a restart before things go south.

Plane Touched

Definably sounds like a heat issue. Run a Video Card temp monitor ( Like Riva-tuner or Speedfan) and see how hot its getting. With proper cooling they should not really be getting much above 85c because that is when the cards will decrease performance to try to lower the temp on there own.

Quote Originally Posted by Insozz View Post
    This has never happened before in any of the other betas or any other game, but after about 5-10 mins my computer just shuts down while playing rift. I'm thinking it might be due to over heating but I have two fans and a desk fan pulling the hot air out. HELP!
    My guess would be either its an overheating problem wth the fan on your video card or CPU or a power supply problem not Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadesbiker View Post
    My guess would be either its an overheating problem wth the fan on your video card or CPU or a power supply problem not Rift

Definitely, the power supply could be going as well.

Soulwalker

Try getting a can of compressed air and blowing out all the dust bunnies in your PC/Laptop. We just did that with a laptop and the game's down to 66C instead of 100C. Overheating was the issue for us.

Asus running with an ARI Radeon Mobility 5870HD

Soulwalker

Exclamation Rift also shuts down my computer

Hi,

I am running into the same issue as the original poster. The game will play for about 5-10 mins and then randomly shut the entire computer down (not lock up, not bsod, not crash). I am also running an ATI setup (5970 + 5870) with a i7-2600k. My temps are normal as I've monitored them. This is a relatively clean build which hasn't had issue with any other graphically intensive game.

I'm running a Windows 7 SP1 x64, i7-2600k, 16 gigs of ram, DP67BG mother board, Raid-0, Trifire (5970 + 5870 [down clocked to match the 5970]) and an 850 watt corsair PSU.

If I can post anything (DXDIAG, Msinfo or such) please let me know as I'd like to get to the root of the issue.

Thank you all for your feedback.

-JM

Catalyst..If you open "overdrive" has Temp, activity and fan speed. You can manually turn the fan to 100% and see if that helps.
    I'm running a 2 gig 5800 series and have had 2 crash to desktop since launch. Never happened in Beta. I sent reports in so maybe MS will figure it out. (don't laugh too hard. ;) )
    Last edited by Coho; 02-26-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lucieus View Post
    ATI Radeon HD 5450 and this game is barely running. 15fps on minimum detail regularly and 7fps in battles. This should not be happening.
    Your card is the lowest in the 5xxx series. It's not a bad card, but it's not a card that'll get you anywhere near max FPS with decent graphics.

Also update ATI drivers, they made new ones about a week ago if you haven't updated already. Defragging your computer helps, that way it's faster in finding the files it needs.

OP, what are the temps like when it crashes? core and graphic cards.

And you say that it just shuts down, not freezing?

+ Reply to Thread