Closed Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By tirubon
  • 7 Post By Kerilar
  • 2 Post By trankwood
  • 1 Post By Lowcash

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: How does it all work?

Telaran

Default How does it all work?

As a RL PHP programmer/tech writer I *really* want a crash course in how something like Rift actually works. It's pretty amazing.

I imagine that the bags, slots, abilities, etc. are all just a giant SQL database where items are joined to characters via a table of primary keys, and that the cooldown between casts and ability uses are to allow the communication and computation to occur, but how does it work that I can ride my mount from one end of a continent to another without (until recently) any lag or obvious loading?

How does the game track quests for various people in various stages so that we see different things depending on where we are in a quest?

What exactly is sent to/from the server in each data packet? Obviously the physical location of my character, any ability I use, etc. but how much data about the surrounding users? Obviously the game can't be sending info about everyone on the entire continent or it would take forever but it also has to know the position of other players relative to me, etc.

This isn't the place for a 50 page explanation but just a brief writeup would be really cool/helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tirubon View Post
    As a RL PHP programmer/tech writer I *really* want a crash course in how something like Rift actually works. It's pretty amazing.

I imagine that the bags, slots, abilities, etc. are all just a giant SQL database where items are joined to characters via a table of primary keys, and that the cooldown between casts and ability uses are to allow the communication and computation to occur, but how does it work that I can ride my mount from one end of a continent to another without (until recently) any lag or obvious loading?

How does the game track quests for various people in various stages so that we see different things depending on where we are in a quest?

What exactly is sent to/from the server in each data packet? Obviously the physical location of my character, any ability I use, etc. but how much data about the surrounding users? Obviously the game can't be sending info about everyone on the entire continent or it would take forever but it also has to know the position of other players relative to me, etc.

This isn't the place for a 50 page explanation but just a brief writeup would be really cool/helpful. Thanks.
    you would get a better answer here:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/technical.../tech-support/
    Chemicalimbalance - Rogue - Wolfsbane
    Sleep is Overrated

3.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Rift Team

Science or Magic? We'll never tell.

Michael Hansen
    Game Designer - Live Content

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

At least some MMO devs have at least some of their backend using custom engines which are not SQL, but at least some stuff is definitely gonna be SQL just since it's familiar and easy to work with.

I suspect they are not gonna be super interested in revealing all the technical details, since the Bad Guys are always trying to get to that stuff too.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

If it's anything like other games that have to be ultra-optimized for the extreme performance requirements of an MMO, a lot of it is in C and a bit cryptic ;)

Seeing different things is pretty simple, it just checks if you are eligible to see stuff when it loads it.

As for the no loading screens, it's an illusion really. You still load stuff, it just does it when you're about to need it in the background, instead of all at once. Similarly it'll just load info about the characters near you -- you can see this happening when you run into a heavily populated area all of a sudden. It has a cap on the number of players you can see so it doesn't get too crazy for the client and network to handle.

Telaran

It is all done by kittens ...that much i'm prepared to say

Well those many rift private servers out there sure know how this works lol...

Existence of Magitech confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerilar View Post
    Science or Magic? We'll never tell.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kailika View Post
    Well those many rift private servers out there sure know how this works lol...
    If you have ever played on a private server, you know it isn't the same.

I ran a Private WoW server 6 years ago just for the hell of it for just me to experiment with, and it was basically, launch back end script, launch game with edited log in server info. I have a feeling a lot of these private servers are very similar to that.

Closed Thread