+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Please kill the server UKNOWN

Yeah, NA region here (Greybriar server) and any dungeons or chronicles i run @Unknown are godawful and don't function anywhere near properly. Like... consistently.

Immediately when you zone in it takes awhile to actually load all the objects. Very obvious in a zone like Archive of Flesh where you normally start in front of a door that opens up, yet when you're on Unknown the door doesn't even pop into existence until upwards of 10 seconds after. Same thing with the first door in A Hero Rises chronicle.

If you get rezzed or take a teleport, the client appears to freeze up for awhile.

Mobs take a few seconds to react to being attacked.

Encounter effects like Emphalea's spears that get thrown at you are super delayed and take awhile for the AOE to actually appear.

The bonus orbs on A Hero Rises took forever to register for the quest, and I ended up failing it while standing on top of one that refused to register. Normally finish this with plenty of time left over. ...And the chronicle shortly broke after as the guy who jumps down remained unattackable forever.

Just... yeah. Go try it yourself, Pithos.
    Last edited by Sonoko; 06-20-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    (V)    (V)
    ミ(◕‿◕。)彡

Quote Originally Posted by Pithos View Post
    When you see "Unknown" for a shard name, you're actually making use of one of the hidden shards that we have running but not open to the public for character creation, etc. While you're still connected to Rift via the shard your character is on, the instance you're in is on one of these shards. This can actually result in a slightly better than normal experience because, as you might expect, these shards generally have relatively little running on them. Don't fear the Unknown! ;-)
    First time seeing a dev post without reading the what's the topic about. I am amazed.

Like... seriously?

This topic is about how broken and unplayable it is if it puts you on "unknown" shard. And here he comes and talks about how amazing it is when your instance is hosted on it.

Like really?! REALLY!?12123123125
    Last edited by BadTouch; 06-20-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Badtouch @ Gelidra - Level 60 Mage
    Madtouch @ Gelidra - Level 60 Rogue
    Sadtouch @ Gelidra - Level 60 Rogue - A semi-automated alter ego!

I think rift has not enough tentacled monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by megathalios View Post
    That server is not working for the Chronicle a Hero Rises. Itīs all lag there and the Chronicle is bugged. So if you see Chronicle: A Hero Rises @Uknown donīt do the Chronicle there, you will not finish it.
    I thought it was just me. This has happened 4 days in a row - all of them were @unknown. So many bugs that I gave up doing the Chronicle and I usually do it daily.

When you see "Unknown" for a shard name, you're actually making use of one of the hidden shards that we have running but not open to the public for character creation, etc. While you're still connected to Rift via the shard your character is on, the instance you're in is on one of these shards. This can actually result in a slightly better than normal experience because, as you might expect, these shards generally have relatively little running on them. Don't fear the Unknown! ;-)
    Interesting!

So is that why a ton of people in my friends list are now listed as Username@Unknown -- they transferred to a shard which later went away or something?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Interesting!

So is that why a ton of people in my friends list are now listed as Username@Unknown -- they transferred to a shard which later went away or something?
    Right. Saw that when my guild moved off a trial server, the inactive people still on a shut down server are @unknown.

Chiming in to say A Hero Rises was unplayably buggy for me a couple days ago as well. I died during the mech phase and when I suited up and re-entered the final portion, the suit effect vanished and I was in there on a platform on my normal character, unable to do anything. Exiting and reentering did not help; I gave up.

BUT... I don't think I was on server unknown, I think I was on Greybriar coming from Deepwood. So the issue may really just be that the chronicle is currently very buggy. I think something changed, I don't remember Maelstrom teleporting in near the start of the chronicle and shooting people before, for instance.
    Last edited by Alessar; 06-20-2013 at 01:44 PM.

While these "Unkown" shards should preform better as stated, we are here to tell you they are broken. Like others I have tried to run Hero's Rise several since 2.3 and have been unable to complete it because of getting moved to "Unkown" and it bugging out.
    Gurar/Livyn
    TPO

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #22
    Rift Team

Default Please kill the server UNKNOWN

Thanks for all the reports everyone. I tried this myself and did encounter the problem some of you have described - the storm giant at the top of the ramp not aggroing and instantly healing after every hit, and it did (in my extremely limited testing) just happen when my shard was Unknown. I've made one change for the first cluster - If you're on any of these shards: Seastone, Greybriar, Deepwood, Faeblight, Hailol - and haven't done your chronicle yet today, please give it a try let me know if it works for you or not (and if you were placed on "Unknown" or not).

Soulwalker

Unfortunately for the last 2 days, and just now when i tested after reading this, the thunderclap assault frame is broken for me. I can get into it visually but my abilities and health pool remain the same. Then when I use the teleporter, it makes me a normal character again and I am brutally murdered on the ships

I do my best to defend Rift, but having a server come up as "Unknown" does not comes across as soundly programmed and thoroughly tested.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

Plane Walker

Except it doesn't.

When I queue with all guildies I usually end up on our own shard and we have normal lag. We can finish all experts when it says Unknown 5x5 times yesterday we couldn't get past Exodus because we couldn't drop the crystal. So Fear the Unknown.
    Mael (Cleric)/Merxie (Warrior)/Merxion (Rogue)/Merxi (Mage) - <Valens Nexus> - Wolfsbane
    4/4 TotDQ - 3/4 FT - 2/5 EE - 1/4 GA

Thanks for all the reports everyone. I tried this myself and did encounter the problem some of you have described - the storm giant at the top of the ramp not aggroing and instantly healing after every hit, and it did (in my extremely limited testing) just happen when my shard was Unknown. I've made one change for the first cluster - If you're on any of these shards: Seastone, Greybriar, Deepwood, Faeblight, Hailol - and haven't done your chronicle yet today, please give it a try let me know if it works for you or not (and if you were placed on "Unknown" or not).
    Just completed a couple runs starting from my home on Faeblight.

First run I got lucky (unlucky really) and got Unknown sever. I started the run about 5:15 PM server time, Right away I notice an improvement in the lag but it was still there. I proceeded to kill up to the Porticulum and engage Skythrax. The fight worked but I noticed a big delay in him calling out Thunder Cannon and the channel beginning before the graphic showed on screen. Next up was Stormwrath, again fight went fine but again a bit of lag noticeable at the end when the turret stuck around long after Stormwrath was dead. Maelstrom battle went smooth. Hijack the Assault Frame went fine, but the lag was very noticeable. Teleporting up to the platforms took a long time to load in and when it did I was without the assault frame and felt vary naked Eventually the Assault Frame caught up to me. Again the lag was noticeable as killing the Power Cores and trying to kill a few Assault Cannons on the way took longer than normal. After completing Part 3 and 4 I hit the Evacuate temp ability but was surprised when I found myself back at the first platform of part 3 again without an Assault Frame. Eventually the game ported me to the actual ceremony and I was able to loot the final chest.

Second run was on Deepwood immediately afterwards. This run worked perfectly as expected and without any lag, it ran just like before 2.3, with one exception. I did not get the skip the speech crystal before having to Hijack the Assault Frame.

For being an empty shared/s, "Unknown" has worse lag and delay in it than the old shards.
    Last edited by Gurar; 06-20-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Gurar/Livyn
    TPO

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #27
    Rift Team

Default Please kill the server UNKNOWN

We've shutdown the hidden shards that appear as "Unknown" after reproducing the problem internally. Thanks again for the reports - we'll continue working on this and hopefully bring it back once it's working better in the future.

Plane Walker

Awesome glad to help
    Mael (Cleric)/Merxie (Warrior)/Merxion (Rogue)/Merxi (Mage) - <Valens Nexus> - Wolfsbane
    4/4 TotDQ - 3/4 FT - 2/5 EE - 1/4 GA

Soulwalker

Earlier I was stuck at stormwrath titan. So I entered the chronicle again and to my surprise I could proceed past that part.

Now I have this problem at the suit part after I fell http://youtu.be/NHgR_srw6ak

We've shutdown the hidden shards that appear as "Unknown" after reproducing the problem internally. Thanks again for the reports - we'll continue working on this and hopefully bring it back once it's working better in the future.
    Hey Pithos. Since you look like to be aware of the cross-shard thingies, I would really appreciate if you could answer these questions.
    Since Rift server architecture is using (well, was since you shut it down) hidden shard(s), why don't you introduce overflow shard(s) to reduce/annihilate the login queue?
    And Rift server architecture seems to be flexible enough to let you easily add/remove shard(s) or spread them to different clusters, why can't you make cross-shard playing working through shards from different clusters while character transfer and cross-shard chat still work?

I would really really appreciate answers from you.

Elioty from Icewatch that used to play a lot with French mates as well and that really believe in Rift's dev team to find and implement a solution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast