+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Varied groups in PvE

Quote Originally Posted by Alrrok View Post
    sounds a lot like you want a single player game with multi-player access. I might be wrong though but, personally I like the trinity system I think that it makes a team of players concentrate on their job, instead of being lost trying to find the door.

I played CoH for about a month and could not stand it, don't really remember the mechanics sorry.

True what he is asking for hasn't been done much in the MMO sector. It's been done with games like Demon Souls, Monster Hunter, an maybe even Diablo 3 soon. Where you don't need a Tank or Healer because combat is skill based an if your good you can avoid the damage all together. But MMO's are almost always turn based an for the most part in turn based combat you can't avoid the damage you have to mitigate it somehow. An that's why the Holy Trinity has always been required for difficult content. Unless you let people chug Health Potions with no limit like in Diablo 2 lol.

It's as I said earlier if your asking for it to be changed you are reducing the complexity of the combat. Since now all you would need is DPS an Crowd Control most likely to win. Which is also the best for PvP so Tanks an Healers would be rarely played in a game like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Efeturu View Post
    I played CoH as a controller and I played multiple roles (tanking with a pet, crowd control and dps). My role in a group depended on the group make up and was possible with how my particular class was created. I'm not sure if other classes had the same ability, but I'm sure to some degree or another they did.
    CoH is odd - particularly their controllers. Back at launch a level 32+ controller could be a 1-man team. My SG had a love/hate relationship with me. I was the only controller (they were insanely difficult to solo back then) so I made things easy for them. But there's easy and then there's "oh god please let me get a hit in". My fire/kinetics controller could take down entire groups literally in seconds, and the rest of the team would just stand around looking dazed.

A lot of those hard controls (eg. holds) were also incredibly problematic with pvp - which they hadn't intended to have in the game. So they ended up with an entirely different ruleset for player powers for pve and pvp, which I find a bit off. I really enjoy playing controllers but the degree of control they exercise is way over the top for a pvp game.

And eventually the changes they made brought all of the archetypes towards middle ground (and they reined in controllers - cutting down how many pets they could summon was the big one).

But CoH is still a holy trinity game.

A team of 8 doing missions on invinc will be slowed by the absence of a tank. A controller can only do so much and they're incredibly squishy. Your controls never take out the entire group and you're then targeted by everything still moving. You either need to be using location controls like ice slick and freezing rain (which you can sneakily execute from around corners) or have tankly pets (and preferably invis or phase shift) or you need to be buffed up the wazoo by a force-bubbler and/or sonic defender and have a healer ready to pull your arse out of the fire.

A team of 8 doing missions on invinc without at least one healer.... well that's not gonna last long.

But I agree with your basic sentiment re the ideal set-up. The question is whether this is/should be one on the character or the content side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Efeturu View Post
    What I'm saying is developers creating content that can be beatable by a well organized group that consists of any classes.
    I'm eager to see what their multiclassing plans are here. One would imagine that with 4 basic character types and multiclassing, in a random group of 5 players you would almost always have every type represented.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5