Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Good chance at new servers tomorrow

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default Good chance at new servers tomorrow

Sorry I have not updated you folks this evening.

The odds of opening more servers tomorrow are getting higher and higher. I'll be reviewing the data again in the morning. Sorry for the queues folks, but opening shards isn't something we will do lightly.

~Daglar

Soulwalker

nice, thanks for the update

Thanks, Dalgar. I imagine this is especially true after the Launch Fiasco, where we had a massive amount of servers (Wasn't it like 15 or more?) and by the 1 year anniversary most of them averaged Low to Medium population.

Used to be on the ooooold RP shard before it was merged myself, so ended up on Faeblight. XD not a happy camper initially, but it was definitely needed.

Even though the forums been full of whiney topics for the past ten or so hours, I'm sure people are actually fairly grateful for the efforts being made.
    Last edited by Aysander; 06-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Eithel - 60 Rogue - Faeblight
    Iflaana - 50 Mage - Faeblight
    Suizen 24 Cleric - Faeblight

That's sooooo vaguueeee.
    Badtouch @ Gelidra - Level 60 Mage
    Madtouch @ Gelidra - Level 60 Rogue
    Sadtouch @ Gelidra - Level 60 Rogue - A semi-automated alter ego!

I think rift has not enough tentacled monsters.

Better be resurrecting the trial shards.

Eh, not really. Vague would be.

"We're doing something*.

This sounds like:

"We're reviewing the current server data and comparing it with what the current cluster can handle, hopefully we'll have more servers up over the weekend if it's possible."
    Last edited by Aysander; 06-13-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Soulwalker

Don't forget that they have to take everything into account before doing so, including estimating how many people will be staying around on the newly opened servers. If it's a ghost town in a week, they lose mucho denero.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Rift Team

I just got off the phone with our engineering director. The proposed plan that we are going to be reviewing and finalizing in the morning for North America is to split the existing shards into two clusters and add an additional shard to each of those clusters.

To give you guys a little background, our current population limits are more related to the total number of users in a cluster as opposed to on an individual shard. By splitting it into two healthy clusters we may be able to greatly increase the number of users on a per shard basis.

We will also be reviewing Europe and determining how to further address the issues there.

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I just got off the phone with our engineering director. The proposed plan that we are going to be reviewing and finalizing in the morning for North America is to split the existing shards into two clusters and add an additional shard to each of those clusters.

To give you guys a little background, our current population limits are more related to the total number of users in a cluster as opposed to on an individual shard. By splitting it into two healthy clusters we may be able to greatly increase the number of users on a per shard basis.

We will also be reviewing Europe and determining how to further address the issues there.

~Daglar
    Huh, funny. We were just talking about this in another topic, as well as in a chat I was having with some friends who used to have a similar problem on a fangame we designed....

Anyways, nice to hear. If there's still too many people on a single shard...I say smash Faeblight into a million pieces >:O

Nah, not really. I would miss how nice Faeblight's been to the F2p peeps coming in.

~Daglar
    So the Shaedence solution. Awesome. Been saying this all night :P
    Shaedence - 60 Guardian Kelari Cleric - Threesprings (US-PvE)
    Azshlee - 51 Guardian Kelari Rogue - Threesprings (US-PvE)
    Faei - 51 Defiant Kelari Mage - Threesprings (US-PvE)
    Officer of <The Night Crew>

Soulwalker

Sorry I have not updated you folks this evening.

The odds of opening more servers tomorrow are getting higher and higher. I'll be reviewing the data again in the morning. Sorry for the queues folks, but opening shards isn't something we will do lightly.

~Daglar
    No transfer permitted (Genesis Server) or only existing accounts of n months in existence permitted to transfer (Veteran Server) and it's a service + a server. Plenty of new people want a shot to make a name for themselves. Plenty of veterans hate new people. Win-win?

great to hear this!

I'm glad you're thinking of adding new shards or whatnot. Personally I'm just a little appalled that no one thought there would be a huge influx of players and to have new shards ready in advance.

I believe you that you don't open a new shard lightly, but this is not just any old day. This is the day Rift goes Free-to-play--a business model used to bring in lots of players!!! How did everyone miss that point and not prepare for it?

Well, see, like the Engineering team said, and Shadeance XD as well...the Cluster, so all 8 shards, existing together don't have the capacity to maintain the playerbase.

I'm guessing, what happened is the Dev's thought it would be a server capacity issue initially during development, but wanted to avoid a repeat of the Launch sever extensions (Before the cluster system even existed), so had to find the real issues.

Can't blame their reluctance. I do find it hilarious that it wasn't a Shard issue though, since everyone thought it was one. Sorry, I see humor EVERYWHERE.

I think one or two would be good for now (maybe 3), let the population spread out a bit more evenly. Too many too soon and we'll just have more server closures/mergers later, and we all know how mmo players react to those.

Personally, I think it's great that the transition to F2P has generated this much interest in the game. It's been a looooong time since any server had a queue to get in, and the day after F2P hit every one is stuffed like a Chipotle burrito.

Edit: man, i type really slow when i'm tired. So we're splitting clusters eh? I like clusters. I also need to go to bed.
    Last edited by Gehrgontra; 06-13-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    If you're too old to play with Legos, you still have some growing up to do.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast