+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: The New RIFT Website

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default The New RIFT Website

Greetings, Ascended!

With Wednesday’s launch of Update 2.3: Empyreal Assault almost upon us, I thought I’d take the opportunity to highlight another big change that’s happening: the RIFT website.

We’ve spent the last several months going through all of the analytics, figuring out what pages everyone clicks and shares, the most—and least—popular destinations, the flow of traffic through the website, and tons of other little things that only analytics folks truly love to talk about it.

Responsive and Optimized Design: The website will now visibly change based on the device you’re using; you’ll see a dramatic difference between your cellphone and your desktop PC. We’ve built the site to support screen widths of 1920, 1280, 1140, 1024, 960, 800 (Android tablet), 768 (iPad), 480 Android phone), and 320 (iPhone). No matter what your device, the site will snap to the best fit.

This change includes emails as well. RIFT Watch will scale from 640 down to 320, and other emails will scale from 600 down to 300.

RIFTastic Images: You’ll see a lot less text (save for special pages that feature game systems), and a lot more of the world of Telara. One thing we heard from a lot of new players is that “this game looks just like <insert name>.” RIFT looks incredible, and we want to make sure everyone sees the difference.

Embedded Video: You’ll see videos on all the key pages that highlight the core features that make RIFT unique. Stuff like the Build the Perfect Class (along with separate videos for each calling), Instant Adventures, Massive Dynamic Battles, Dungeons & Raids, Dimensions, and a new Features video for those new to RIFT. We’ve got more planned; stay tuned!

Focus on the Community: You’ll see the RIFT forums get prominent treatment in the new homepage design, along with the Wiki (our partners at RIFThead). The new RIFTgame.com will be the primary hub for all your community needs, with news and key features and promotions prominently displayed.

As you’d expect, this is a massive project that we'll be working on up through the launch of Empyreal Assault and beyond. Expect to see this come out in phases over the next several weeks, but we wanted to get the heart of the site out with the new Free-to-Play changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The New RIFT Website-mdb-landing-page.jpg   The New RIFT Website-raids-landing.jpg   The New RIFT Website-build-your-character-web.jpg   The New RIFT Website-riftgame-home.jpg   The New RIFT Website-warrior-web.jpg  

Last edited by BrandGuru; 06-10-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Looks awesome! Can't wait!
    Metricos - Cleric - Faeblight
    Katica - Mage - Faeblight (Used my 60 boost and have no idea what I'm doing. D: Send help!)

So this is probably why the old lore stuff hasn't been updated much for SL...

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I am torn on this simply because I really like text sometimes.

Specifically: If a page has lots of graphical elements, I often simply don't see them all. Especially if any of them move.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Thinking about this now...I would be sad if the individual story stuff for each of the callings/souls/major characters/etc disappeared. I always liked going back and reading that stuff. :C
    Metricos - Cleric - Faeblight
    Katica - Mage - Faeblight (Used my 60 boost and have no idea what I'm doing. D: Send help!)

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Are you guys going to take out ANY of the lore-texts? Because then I have some copy pasting to do before this all goes about being a thing.

And I am in with Seebs on liking words. Showing off is awesome, being able to listen to things is also awesome, but I find it a shame that it has to mean that text get limited - not everyone can focus on listening to a video as well as they can focus on reading information.
    Are there at least going to be English subtitles on the videos (whenever there's going to be something spoken that is)? It's a nice support for us who've not got English as our native language, especially when dialects come into play.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Prophet of Telara

So pretty! Any chance we can get bigger pics of those images in the first post (maybe even wallpaper versions)?

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    Are you guys going to take out ANY of the lore-texts? Because then I have some copy pasting to do before this all goes about being a thing.

And I am in with Seebs on liking words. Showing off is awesome, being able to listen to things is also awesome, but I find it a shame that it has to mean that text get limited - not everyone can focus on listening to a video as well as they can focus on reading information.
    Are there at least going to be English subtitles on the videos (whenever there's going to be something spoken that is)? It's a nice support for us who've not got English as our native language, especially when dialects come into play.
    I'll be honest. The lore stuff is nice but unless it's going to get updated a lot more often (for example Eve Online's chronicles) I think focusing on the graphics is a much better approach. I particularly like the prospect of giant awesome looking raid bosses dominating the raids section.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 06-10-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Shield of Telara

I think thats the iphone version? lol.. so small

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    I'll be honest. The lore stuff is nice but unless it's going to get updated a lot more often (for example Eve Online's chronicles) I think focusing on the graphics is a much better approach. I particularly like the prospect of giant awesome looking raid bosses dominating the raids section.
    Only a few aspects of lore gets outdated, a lot of the basic information you get - such as the history of the various races, their traits, and the backgrounds for the evil wonders of the world are as valid today as it was 2 years ago. The player is going to learn, via playing the game, that the dragons have died - I'd even say that writing something like that on the website kind of spoils it, because of the way that the stories are carried out in game.
    I'd love to see -more- lore get added, that contains new information and fills out the gaps that've been left open.
    A lot of people play MMORPG's for their stories just as much as for their content, being met with a big purty raidboss sure is fancy, but it's going to feel empty if there isn't even the slightest notion of why he's trying to eat/kill/maim/tickle us.
    It'd be a sad thing if the Rift team decided to focus more on game-mechanics and features and leave the story to be a forgotten mix-match of cool-sounding excuses.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

I for one love it to see websites really displaying the epic content that their game has, but I also like to be able to find text and whatnot to sort of read what it's all about and how the game works. Reading about warfronts and how they vary is much more informative than watching a PuG run around in a battlefield. Something very interesting for me is that - out of any other previous MMO I've played - I actually like the lore. This game has had me reading more and more quests, whereas other MMOs it was just a take-and-go process. As it was said by Talila, I really would hate to see the lore be replaced by cool pictures and flashy armor.

The pictures....

They are so small.....

Champion

The new website looks great and should be easier to navigate.

Too bad at the same time you all are reorganizing the forums and website.......'

.... your making boneheaded moves like getting rid of the shard forums. What person in their right mind takes away a community aspect of an MMO like server forums......

Soulwalker

Looks awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast