+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: The community of this game is absolute crap, and f2p will only make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Am I one of your favorites? :-O
    I dont know you enough to say ya or na. Yet.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by szalkerous View Post
    I agree the OP should have given the game a little more time, or tried joining a guild and seeking help from them.

That said, some of you folks in /4 are the rudest, most immature group of MMO players I've ever had to tolerate. I've long since removed myself from the region and level chatrooms because of it. I rarely see actual assistance given to anyone in there, just mocking and trolling usually. I think some of you forget that you were once inexperienced and had questions, too.

I don't really care as it doesn't affect me. I've dealt with socialization on the internet for too long to actually be offended by anything anyone can say. But from a player perspective, Trion needs to really step up their GM's when F2P hits or this is going to snowball out of control.
    This is actually the point I was trying to make, only I was angry when I typed it up. I've been playing most of the day on a different (PvE) server, and have found the experience much more pleasant so far. Sorry if I stirred up some tempers, it wasn't my attention; I just know that if it's this bad now, it's only going to get worse. 1-29 is how players are going to be introduced to Rift, and I find it hard to believe that Trion, or anyone for that matter, wants their first impression of Rift to be the people that inhabit /4.

I'm relatively new as well. I jump between MMOs a lot, trying to find "that one" MMO I'd dedicate myself to. The last one I "dedicated" (I use that term lightly) myself to was Guild Wars 2 for 7 months.

As my first impression of the Rift community (through channel 4) on Seastone, it's heavily filled with trolls, sarcasm, hostility and crude comments. Though whenever I ask a question in /4, I always get people whispering me polite and reasonable answers while I (may) get ridiculed in /4.

So here's my advice, ignore /4. If you ask a question, expect to sift through the B/S comments and don't take anything to heart. Since I work in retail, it's quite easy for me to do lol.

I didn't read all of the comments, so I'm not sure what your final decision was, but I hope you give it more time. :3

SERVER : Faeblight || Follow My Anook

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by lunargoblin View Post
    I can't even venture anywhere near /4 without getting cussed out for SOMETHING. Ask a simple question? Someone says something rude. Say something rude back? Well now you're a troll who fails at English. Seriously, I've never seen a worse community in any MMO ever made. It's enough to make me quit this game altogether. Congrats, Trion, you succesfully brought in all the WoW kids. Mission accomplished. Here's a PROTIP though: WoW kids suck. Have fun with 'em, because while you're occupying them all with your WoW-like game, I'll go play something else where they won't be. It sucks, because I reeeeally wanted to like Rift, but your community ruined it. GG.
    Having over a decade of MMO experience to my credit, I can say, with absolute confidence, that you are acting ridiculous are obscenely off the mark. I'm willing to bet you had one poor experience with one or two particular people and are now calling "foul" on the entire community.

Grow up.
    Last edited by Synovia; 06-06-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

Faeblight.

Ibby.

That Wolf-Something person.

The worst trolls quit awhile ago. Ibby needs to step up his/her game so that we get some actual /4 moderation xD
    Eithel - 65 Rogue - Faeblight
    Hinokage - Eventual 65 Mage - Faeblight

If Trionís ďauto chat banĒ system is going to work as I understand it, then trolls, racists, rude people etc. will be chat banned as soon as enough players have reported them.

So when patch 2.3 goes live, donít forget to report all players in chat that you feel have broken the rules of good chat discipline. That way we hopefully can put a plug in them and shut them up, at least for a while(temporary chat ban)

I for sure will keep my eye on general chat to make sure bad people are reported
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ........... Whatever ..............

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Idle question, are you playing WoW on EU or US servers?

I was talking to some people from other places at one point, and apparently the server communities are totally different.
    I can confirm how true this is, since I played both WoW EU and WoW US (the latter to be with some American and Australian friends). I won't say that the EU servers are always a bastion of civility, because they aren't, but the US servers are still positively hellish by comparison.

Rift Disciple

i, for one, have gone report happy in /4 due to the ridiculous amounts of abusive language on seastone. i wonder how many people it takes to actually get someone chat banned though?

i finally threw in the towel and hit /leave 4 though, my chat has never been quieter or more pleasant. unfortunately you will still find some of these charming individuals in 50 chat too, and of course in warfronts. and i do feel bad that because ive left /4 i cant help people who genuinely needed help or information. i gave away a bunch of spellspun bags and answered many many questions before i gave up though, so hopefully i convinced even just a few newcomers that we arent all bad.

i did find the communities a lot nicer on the pve servers than the pvp one, strangely. maybe the competition brings out the worst in people.
    Last edited by Chiomara; 06-06-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Prophet of Telara Shaidar Haran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriX View Post
    If Trion’s “auto chat ban” system is going to work as I understand it, then trolls, racists, rude people etc. will be chat banned as soon as enough players have reported them.

So when patch 2.3 goes live, don’t forget to report all players in chat that you feel have broken the rules of good chat discipline. That way we hopefully can put a plug in them and shut them up, at least for a while(temporary chat ban)

I for sure will keep my eye on general chat to make sure bad people are reported
    The "squelch" that they are working on isn't a permanent ban as much as it is a temporary ban (as you stated.) Prolly anywhere from 30 mins to 10 days is the time frame I think I remember them saying they are trying to decide.

Either Way People, when this feature DOES go live, you need to be proactive about using it.

Of course, I noticed that someone that just joined our casual guild is 11 boxing, so I HOPE Trion is figuring out how to make it so someone can not squelch me just because they can make 100 accounts.
    Last edited by Shaidar Haran; 06-06-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    My Hand Reaches Far...

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    There's typically no warning for unexpected crashes.

+1 to this I'm afraid.

I'd hoped I'd left that oh so wonderful barrens chat and A**L [Insert ability name] behind, let alone the new depths of depravity, racism etc that have been achieved, but its back with avengence on Icewatch in 1-29.

Like others (I had it subscribed to get the odd low level event I was missing) I removed this channel a week ago.

Oh and I don't for one second believe anyone who says the global chat channels are actively monitored by GM's
    PvP Rank: 88/90 | PA: 1277/1277 | CQ Power: 200k | Score: 15285 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS (Conq.) | 11/11 HK | 4/4 RotP | 2/8 ID | 4/4 PF | 4/4 TotDQ | 4/5 EE | 4/4 FT | 4/4 GA | IG 2/3 | PB 3/5
    Getting More and More Disillusioned By The Day

This is actually the point I was trying to make, only I was angry when I typed it up. I've been playing most of the day on a different (PvE) server, and have found the experience much more pleasant so far. Sorry if I stirred up some tempers, it wasn't my attention; I just know that if it's this bad now, it's only going to get worse. 1-29 is how players are going to be introduced to Rift, and I find it hard to believe that Trion, or anyone for that matter, wants their first impression of Rift to be the people that inhabit /4.
    This is fair enough. Nothing wrong in voicing a concern.

Trion is actually working on a way to moderate chat. They have a couple of things in mind that they are going to fine-tune and try out. Trion usually tries to make the social aspect of the game together with the players, so if there is something we want changed with the new system a constructive message will be the most helpful It IS valuable to have new players like you tell us how things feel. Most of us here has been in the game for a long time and only circle in our own little clique. Many of us have however voiced the same concerns as you before, and this is why Trion is at this moment trying to work something out for everyone's benefit

"Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I've been chatting with people in online games since the 80s, and I would state that, right now, Rift has serious community problems. There's also some great folks, but the fact is, we do have a pretty large density of pure trolls and abusive players, and very very little has been done about them in the last 9-12 months.
    He speaks the truth, exactly what I experience. But the entire game has changed (part from the f2p), Rift used to be top notch tripple A quality game. Now it is just one in the crowd desperatly grasping for air. Desperate times makes desperate measures. Rift was to me known for two things (no, listening to the players ain't one of them). Quality control and a great community. Both are gone which leaves me little hope to once again see great times with Rift and here is why,

When Hartsman left Trion he went out the door with a message that you could perhaps be interpreted in two ways. "if you enjoy what's been going on in RIFT lately, the folks who are now in charge are the same ones who have been making all of the game-impacting decisions, both to content and gameplay". I think it is safe to say that Storm Legion was way below most players expectations.

I now realise this reply is about the current state of the game and not the community..so yeah, back to topic..the community is...bad ;P
    Last edited by Scarygary; 06-07-2013 at 02:40 AM.

Rift Disciple

I don't know how it's on the other servers/shards, but then again I don't really care. These are my experiences:

1-29 chat has been immensely helpful, mature and fun overall. Hell, it made me stay in this game when I was contemplating to quit(along the question: "is there really a better MMO out there?"->answer obvious). Now I will tell you which Shard this is, but if you do come be prepared to a) find semi desolated but awesome Shard and b) BEHAVE like an ADULT(this one is PRETTY IMPORTANT!!!).

It's called Argent-the European PvE RP server. You are welcome to join the master race().

It's really a community on the level of games such as Vanguard or the like(ie: awesome). Can't whack this one.

I would love to see a nice,constructive chat in all zones which is usually happens but can't deny the fact that i ran into some very disturbing comments in the chat.In real life i probably just go to that person and slap into his face without hesitation (just ask my former boss,not that i'm proud of it).Yes i have an impulsive nature (still working on it to not to be) but people tend to say: -oh well this is the internet or this doesn't count because it's on the internet.
    Maybe they are right,don't take it too seriously but i think there's a very thin line between written and spoken words when it comes to any kind of hateful posts.
    As i watched the starting zone's chat i saw every kind of insult and hateful posts which whatever you can imagine.Probably i'm too old but when it comes to serious topics like racism,religion or pedophilia (yes i have seen that too in the chat) I JUST CAN'T hush away with the thought:-oh this is just the internet.
    Yes i can ignore them but it doesn't change the damage they done.The chat for my opinion needs heavy policing from the part of the company,although i accept it puts stress on them in the terms of another employee which needs another salary every month.
    Either way i will continue playing,it's just saddens me to see this people running away without being punished.

I can't even venture anywhere near /4 without getting cussed out for SOMETHING. Ask a simple question? Someone says something rude. Say something rude back? Well now you're a troll who fails at English. Seriously, I've never seen a worse community in any MMO ever made. It's enough to make me quit this game altogether. Congrats, Trion, you succesfully brought in all the WoW kids. Mission accomplished. Here's a PROTIP though: WoW kids suck. Have fun with 'em, because while you're occupying them all with your WoW-like game, I'll go play something else where they won't be. It sucks, because I reeeeally wanted to like Rift, but your community ruined it. GG.
    Gee thanks for joining forums to post that. You sound like a real joy to know, I'm so sad you're leaving.

Bye.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast