+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: thinking about coming back...but why i left

Quote Originally Posted by Defleo View Post
    Dont expect any more fps then you got previously, nothing changed yet, perhaps with patch 2.3 it will or with 2.4.
    That's a horrible lie.

He was using an AMD (unspecified) and now using an i7. There alone will be a big difference since Rift aint multi threaded and all it cares for it single-core high performance, something intel provides and amd doesn't. And especially since his cpu is oc'ed he'll get even better performance.

Truth be told, with his current setup the vast majority of games will run much much much better but rift will be highly playable in raids.

My current setup is an old i5 750 @ 3.8 with a gtx 570 and I comfortably get 25+ fps in any raid encounter @ 2560x1440. Settings: http://i.imgur.com/f7SjxsZ.png

I don't run AA either in game or in drivers, it simply ain't needed at this resolution. 16xAA forced in drivers.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I dunno what you mean about "treated like a spy"
    This post of his seems to indicate the history here:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post4052914

Shield of Telara

The client is streaming now. You do not have to download the entire game to start playing and test it. It tells you how much you need to download before you can play and its a fraction of the total

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Harby View Post
    That's a horrible lie.

He was using an AMD (unspecified) and now using an i7. There alone will be a big difference since Rift aint multi threaded and all it cares for it single-core high performance, something intel provides and amd doesn't. And especially since his cpu is oc'ed he'll get even better performance.

Truth be told, with his current setup the vast majority of games will run much much much better but rift will be highly playable in raids.

My current setup is an old i5 750 @ 3.8 with a gtx 570 and I comfortably get 25+ fps in any raid encounter @ 2560x1440. Settings: http://i.imgur.com/f7SjxsZ.png

I don't run AA either in game or in drivers, it simply ain't needed at this resolution. 16xAA forced in drivers.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. You are right, I should definately see an improvement. I knew this building the new machine, but I did see threads in the past about (lets call them) cutting edge PCs perfoming the same as mid level PCs. This was a concern before I did the build, then the whole ticket thing happened and I switched games. Thanks for taking the time, I will be also tweaking my advanced settings and possibly the config file if needed. Again, I hope the optimizations come with the updates because I will soon be in and smooth gameplay eqauls enjoyment for this guy. Peace

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    This post of his seems to indicate the history here:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post4052914
    Forgot about this

Yes this was right before I left. The ticket took 5 days to get looked at, then I think it was about 3 days of back and forth going in circles, so I gave up. Thanks for the link. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Harby View Post
    That's a horrible lie.

Not really a lie, i overlooked he was using AMD previously.

Cheers
    spajdr
    - Asus Maximus V GENE - Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4 Ghz + Gelid Solution Tranquillo rev.2 -
    - 8 GB DDR3 CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport VLP 1600MHz CL9 1.35V @ 2000Mhz CL11 1.65V -
    - Gigabyte Geforce 660 (GV-N660OC-2GD) 1200/6500 - 240 GB Kingston HyperX 3K -
    - Enermax Platimax 600W - Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl -

Quote Originally Posted by mohawks View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply. You are right, I should definately see an improvement. I knew this building the new machine, but I did see threads in the past about (lets call them) cutting edge PCs perfoming the same as mid level PCs. This was a concern before I did the build, then the whole ticket thing happened and I switched games. Thanks for taking the time, I will be also tweaking my advanced settings and possibly the config file if needed. Again, I hope the optimizations come with the updates because I will soon be in and smooth gameplay eqauls enjoyment for this guy. Peace
    No worries. Just remember (and this applies to everyone), DO NOT apply AA ingame. Supersampling will totally kill your fps and edge smoothing looks like a blurry mess. If you're running an nVidia gpu just enable FXAA for rift from there. I guess Radeon users can enable CSAA or something, not sure though.

Also for some users (including me) ingame AF solution gives me some visual artifacts while forcing 16xAF in drivers doesn't. The fps hit should be minimal in either case with any modern GPU though.

The biggest FPS killers are:
    1. supersampling AA
    2. Full shadows (environment only is fine imho)
    3. ground clatter density/radius.
    4. multipass terain

Hate to break it to you buddy, but while RIFT fortunately does not have that many negative things in my book, it does have the biggest one. The graphics/game engine is very very poorly optimised (if at all) and it runs slowly, even with the best of machines money can buy.

I have spent a crapload of money on my PC and it still does not go above 40-50 FPS all maxed out, everything at top settings.

Now, I have played TERA and to me it seems much much more graphically beautiful than RIFT and I run that game at a constant 70-80 FPS and dropping at around 60-65 in a packed town.

So yeah, sadly this game needs much more optimisation and better coding. RIFT could have the popularity of WoW, but the graphics engine completely kills the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    I wasn't trying to imply you were lazy tbh. I am sorry that in trying to offer some assistance and not letting your post sink to the bottom of general forums resulted in me being referred to as a troll.

Maybe if you posted this in the tech forums you might get a better response.

Also for as many players that have issues with fps lag etc, there is just as many than have no issues at all. No matter what anyone tells you in here, troll or not, you're not going to know until you try and play the game on your own computer.
    Pretty much this. I have poorish FPS in Rift, for well-known reasons, but I can live with that. It's better than it used to be, I think, and they are clearly working on it.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Seelinnikoi View Post
    Hate to break it to you buddy, but while RIFT fortunately does not have that many negative things in my book, it does have the biggest one. The graphics/game engine is very very poorly optimised (if at all) and it runs slowly, even with the best of machines money can buy.

I have spent a crapload of money on my PC and it still does not go above 40-50 FPS all maxed out, everything at top settings.

Now, I have played TERA and to me it seems much much more graphically beautiful than RIFT and I run that game at a constant 70-80 FPS and dropping at around 60-65 in a packed town.

So yeah, sadly this game needs much more optimisation and better coding. RIFT could have the popularity of WoW, but the graphics engine completely kills the game.
    Hey, yeah this is me exactly!!! I prolly spend $1000 a year to keep my machine current. I absolutely love rift (graphics included). BUT the game engine itself KILLS the frames and when im in an awsome world event with 40 people trying to drop an awesomely big boss I dont want to move like a robot.

The one flaw with Rift is the FPS when in populated areas, and sadly it IS a gamebreaker for alot of people including myself.

That said, I am installing Rift this weekend and will give it a go with my new machine. Heres to hoping I dont do the robot ;)

Peace

Rift Disciple

Yeah, that's my problem as well.

I am using i5 3570k(the best i5 that money can buy!) with Gigabyte ATi radeon 7850 super OC{or sth to those effect}(I think you can unlock it to get the 7870 performance, but meh. Who cares? They are both powerhouses) and 8GB of the newest memory. Only thing that is missing is the SSD. And am not even playing at 1080p. I am playing at 1680*1050 and I still get 40 fps tops while in towns, leisurely questing etc. I mean what the waffle? I can run Monsters like Skyrim(modded)/TSW/... nearly maxed with 50+ fps and I can't run a two year old game above 40??? Is that an oxymoron or what...man!

I'll try forcing AA/AF and all those gimmicks from the Catalyst control centre tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. I highly hope that it's about in game AA/AF/... that are coded like a bunch of High school students wrote them and that it's not about the game itself.

We'll see...
    Last edited by Ulthran; 05-31-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulthran View Post
    Yeah, that's my problem as well.

I am using i5 3570k(the best i5 that money can buy!) with Gigabyte ATi radeon 7850 super OC{or sth to those effect}(I think you can unlock it to get the 7870 performance, but meh. Who cares? They are both powerhouses) and 8GB of the newest memory. Only thing that is missing is the SSD. And am not even playing at 1080p. I am playing at 1680*1050 and I still get 40 fps tops while in towns, leisurely questing etc. I mean what the waffle? I can run Monsters like Skyrim(modded)/TSW/... nearly maxed with 50+ fps and I can't run a two year old game above 40??? Is that an oxymoron or what...man!

I'll try forcing AA/AF and all those gimmicks from the Catalyst control centre tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. I highly hope that it's about in game AA/AF/... that are coded like a bunch of High school students wrote them and that it's not about the game itself.

We'll see...
    LOL, I have the exact same config as you but I got a 256gb SSD vertex 4 and hate to tell you man... you wont get higher than 40fps... :P

I have no idea why the game has such a crappy engine or is coded poorly and not optimised at all.

We will see when the game gets all that people and suddenly they come complaining they cant run the game.

The graphics engine is what is killing this game. I have tons of friends and people i know in forums that do not play RIFT because of the sheety graphics engine.

Telaran

Just a fast update here. Ive been playing for afew days now and sadly as many people have said "no real change". The results, I get about 40 fps in populated area with no combat and average 30fps with combat. AA completely off, capes off, shadows environment only, Clutter down. Also read the optimization thread.

My setup is i7 5770k @4.2, 16G ddr3 1866, Asus Nvidia GTX670 2G, and Intel 240G SSD.

On the good news I havent done the robot yet, and the graphics are better with nvidia.

Cheers Trion, great game, but it will die when you refuse to upgrade slash fix the engine because there are too many alternatives out there. Im a founding member who bought storm legion and a year sub with it so im gonna ride the storm and get to endgame and see what happens.

Peace

From my understanding crossfire and sli really don't work for this game. I am running a oc'd amd black with a 7950 video card and 8 gb of ram. While it isn't a ivy bridge, it does well for raiding and zone events etc.
    I want to see the light leave your eyes
    Feeling your breath on my lips one last time
    I want to see the light leave your eyes.
    Feeling your breath for the last time.
    God rest your soul is mine....

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    While this is a "don't be lazy" response, i second it whole heartedly... Log in and test it. If not, I've heard rumors of updates for 2.3 that will increase FPS...
    They mentioned that in the livestream recording, and we are speaking about a fairly high FPS increasement here, around 25-30 increased FPS for most users, but it's not coming with 2.3 since they don't want poeple to have game crashes in every corner of telara since it's still a thing in process.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast