+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Boxes with shop keys.

Plane Touched

Default Boxes with shop keys.

So i was looking at the shop on pts.
    I saw this item that made me worried and concerned and is something that made me just not to play never winter all together. Boxes that drop in the world were you need to buy the key from the shop for real life cash. Does not mater that the sum is so small it is probably not even 25cent but it is the way it is presented that piss me off you loot something and then you have to pay to open it is a slap in the face. (Basically gambling). Anyway when i looted the first one of those boxes is uninstalled the client in neverwinter and never played it agian. Hope it will not happend with this game also since im a 2 year + subscriber.

If it's anything like Guild Wars 2, we will be able to get the keys in-game as rare drops as well. That has not been formally announced though.

From how i saw it those boxes are going to be the same as cryptic's ones where they will randomly drop and you have to pay to open them

You know that you don't have to open them, right?

You can sell them to those who want to gamble and earn yourself a bit of platinum in the process.
    Bleak - Bearded Scotsman and Badass Rogue for <Last Dawn> on Zaviel (EU)
    1/3 IG | 1/5 PB

Quote Originally Posted by Irasalgan View Post
    You know that you don't have to open them, right?

You can sell them to those who want to gamble and earn yourself a bit of platinum in the process.
    In the case of Cryptic's ones they drop so often that they are worthless to sell and drop frequently enough to become an annoyance, along with a server wide announcement when someone opens them and finds a rare mount so there is a constant push towards opening them to find that rare item.

You are right that you don't have to open them but you get it shoved in your face constantly.

In the case of GW2 this is a far better method, still a chance at gambling but you do also get keys drop from some quests.

It just comes down to how Trion implement this, not a fan of either but if it is a choice the GW2 is the lesser of 2 evils

Wait what? There's gonna be lockboxes in this game?

If so this game will be uninstalled on the 12th.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nargauzius View Post
    Wait what? There's gonna be lockboxes in this game?

If so this game will be uninstalled on the 12th.
    There were indeed lockboxes on the cash shop when I checked it out the other day, but as they have made abundantly clear: everything is still subject to change. Personally, I think even if the keys were a drop in the open world, it's still a game-killer. The only thing that might mitigate the damage is if both the lockboxes and the keys are only accessed through the cash shop, so I don't have an inventory full of items begging me to pay money. That or if the lockboxes were 'extremely rare' drops.

I agree, the lockboxes in Neverwinter are probably one of the primary reasons I 'haven't' spent money in that game. I never played GW2. In Allods online you could only get the lockboxes through the cash shop, so they weren't quite so offensive, but they mangled it by having the lockboxes drop BiS items that you couldn't get anywhere else :/

Edit: I'm waiting to see how it turns out, since the cash shop isn't live yet. They're doing a lot of things right, and have fixed a few problem areas already. Will only be able to decide if it's a dealbreaker once things are finalized.
    Last edited by Gloea; 05-24-2013 at 01:35 PM.

I've seen this in GW2. Awful.
    I hate RNG, i don't want an item I have to pay for RNG...
    Please take this idea away, it is a very bad one.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

I don't know what the intended balance is, but I would guess it'd be subject to feedback.

Would suggest posting in the PTS forums if you have feedback on PTS, though.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gloea View Post
    There were indeed lockboxes on the cash shop when I checked it out the other day, but as they have made abundantly clear: everything is still subject to change. Personally, I think even if the keys were a drop in the open world, it's still a game-killer. The only thing that might mitigate the damage is if both the lockboxes and the keys are only accessed through the cash shop, so I don't have an inventory full of items begging me to pay money. That or if the lockboxes were 'extremely rare' drops.

I agree, the lockboxes in Neverwinter are probably one of the primary reasons I 'haven't' spent money in that game. I never played GW2. In Allods online you could only get the lockboxes through the cash shop, so they weren't quite so offensive, but they mangled it by having the lockboxes drop BiS items that you couldn't get anywhere else :/

Edit: I'm waiting to see how it turns out, since the cash shop isn't live yet. They're doing a lot of things right, and have fixed a few problem areas already. Will only be able to decide if it's a dealbreaker once things are finalized.
    I put up with lockboxes in Star Trek Online, and I think Neverwinter uses the exact same system. It was terrible. Yes you could buy the keys ingame for exorbitant sums but they still amounted to virtual gambling and were a not-so-subtle way to entice you to spend money.

I was so disgusted with STO's cash shop system I quit and never looked back, and I do not want to see any part of that duplicated here. It is seriously enough to make me uninstall this game. Of all the cash shop items to introduce they are introducing the one I hate the most.

Rift Master

There's a reason it's going F2P and it's not so you can play for free. Still amazes me that people think rift is somehow going to be different. Its going F2P so they can squeeze out more money, that is the one and only reason.

If you have to buy a key to unlock something you've looted, I too will be uninstalling Rift on the 12th even though my sub runs till next April. I have hated the whole idea of ftp and intended to continue subbing as a Patron and play the game we have been paying for this past two years, but anything that forces me to pay MORE than my sub....and I'm gone.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by iceash View Post
    From how i saw it those boxes are going to be the same as cryptic's ones where they will randomly drop and you have to pay to open them
    screw that. That is one of the many reasons why I left F2P games and paid to play Rift. So tired of having to pay for a key to open a loot drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    If you have to buy a key to unlock something you've looted, I too will be uninstalling Rift on the 12th even though my sub runs till next April. I have hated the whole idea of ftp and intended to continue subbing as a Patron and play the game we have been paying for this past two years, but anything that forces me to pay MORE than my sub....and I'm gone.
    I will stay past june 12th to see how it all ends up. But if it gets to be too much....Ill go back to playing PC solo games.

The lockboxes are not anything to worry about, the best one (I think it's orange) has a CHANCE to drop orange gear that isn't even the same tier as raid gear, it's just legendary for the sake of being legendary at the power level of around what you could get out a good dungeon drop.

If rift lockboxes contain a chance for a rare lockbox only mount or companion though... I will go broke
    Last edited by Monkerlotus; 05-25-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    PO-TA-TOES!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast