+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stevoli

Thread: returning player, question about weapons

Shield of Telara

Default returning player, question about weapons

Hey all, I stopped playing Rift a little over a year ago and from what I remember I had pretty decent level 50 gear. A mixture of dungeon drops and PvP gear.

My mage has a purple level 50 staff that is around 60 dps and what I thought were pretty decent stats.. that is, until I saw a green level 50 "Linden Staff" with double the dps and double the stats.

I did the solo chronicle and got a level 50 blue staff that was terrible compared to this green crafted staff as well. So I guess my question is, what the heck? Is this an exception, or is crafted gear way better than level 50 drops?

it can be yea
    especially when leveling, ignore the color and focus on stat value
    who took my names!

Guess the "Linden Staff" is from the Storm Legion addon. So if your character wasn't Infernal Dawn* geared it's quite possible that the first green drops / Quest rewards / profession are better then your old items.

* with ID gear it could take a few level until you find something better.
    Last edited by Wryn; 05-19-2013 at 11:43 AM.

I left as the raids were being rolled out so started the SL content in my complete lvl 50 expert dungeon set. I felt super squishy because I had grown so used to activating steamroller mode every time I stepped out of Meridian

It's something that happens in just about every expansion that has a gear element. The new zones have to be difficult enough that those wearing best in slot at release aren't going to walk through it all in a day and feel let down, yet it has to be enough that players who are levelling fresh (like my alts) don't find it too hard.

Green SL drops at 50 will be better than the vast majority of the original gear, and the gear that is 'better' won't be for very long.
    6/8 Large Dominos Pizza
    8/12 Krispy Kreme Box
    1/4 Pounder ...

Wait .. we don't list food raids in sigs?

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Eylisia View Post
    The new zones have to be difficult enough that those wearing best in slot at release aren't going to walk through it all in a day and feel let down, yet it has to be enough that players who are levelling fresh (like my alts) don't find it too hard.
    That makes sense, I didn't realize the SL gear would be that much better. I guess I need to start questing over there then

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoli View Post
    That makes sense, I didn't realize the SL gear would be that much better. I guess I need to start questing over there then
    You do! Basically Storm Legion level 50 gear should be read as being 50.3 gear. That is, equivalent to stuff people in the midst of raiding progression had. In fact, if you want to poke at Ember Island (which is a level 52 zone on the old world difficulty scale, set up to challenge people doing raids and expert dungeons and such) you'd be better off running through the Storm Legion initial quests and getting a nice set of gear for yourself. You can look at your hit stat to get an idea of how powerful those new quest greens really are. (Hint: feel like running River of Souls for kicks? You'll be ready as soon as you do those first few gear quests.)

Plane Touched

When SL came out, my warrior was in full ID quality gear (the third raid tier). I didn't start to replace any of it (besides weapons) until around lvl 56-57, but I probably could have replaced it at 55 if I had better luck with instances.

That said, when I took my cleric alt through SL, he started getting upgrades right away. He was in a mix of expert and tier 1 raid gear (GSB/RoS/GP/DH) so he was able to get upgrades right away. You can think of the new items from SL as if it was roughly a tier 2 raid item, compared to pre-SL: if you didn't have at least HK quality gear, it's all going to be upgrades for you.

+ Reply to Thread