+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 155
Like Tree132Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: WIP - First Look @ The RIFT Store

  1. #136
    Sword of Telara xxar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    768

    Default

    My question is will there be player made or in game versions for such things that allow essence's being removed from source cores ? Also the other basic things we have that truely affect game play ?

  2. #137
    Plane Walker Phreakuency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Even the most well done free to play stores have items/services for sale that are not available anywhere else in game.

    It's just one of the things that needs to be that way for games to have the chance to earn enough money to stay alive.

  3. #138
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jethos View Post
    For a level 60 character the $1.25 weapon transmute isn't awful (still a little high imho) as you won't be replacing your weapons as much as you did when leveling.

    For characters still being leveled, $1.25 is way too much. I'm assuming you want to keep your weapon look throughout your time playing that toon. How many times do you upgrade all your weapons throughout leveling (including totem, shield, and ranged if applicable)? 30, 40, 50 times?

    This is for just one character. What about people who have alts and want all their toons to have weapon customization? The expense can add up fast. For those that don't have an endless supply of cash or like to budget their money, weapon customization becomes a severely limited feature at $1.25 per transmute.
    The minimum wage in the US is $7.25/hr. This means that even if you work the register at McDonald's, the ability to transmute a weapon will cost you 17% of one hour's worth of pay.

    Please tell me again how that's unreasonable.
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

  4. #139
    General of Telara Dyeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    907

    Default

    Rune unsocketing seems like it might be a bad idea. The whole point of runes is that they are consumable, not permanent. If you upgrade your slot you need to get another rune for the new piece not unsocket the rune from the old piece and transfer it to the new one. I hope this (and other changes with F2P) don't hurt the in-game economy.

  5. #140
    Prophet of Telara Ynrapbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
    The minimum wage in the US is $7.25/hr. This means that even if you work the register at McDonald's, the ability to transmute a weapon will cost you 17% of one hour's worth of pay.

    Please tell me again how that's unreasonable.
    I can see where this may influence the US economy. Players buying Rex over Big Macs.

  6. #141
    Plane Walker Jimhalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    487

    Default

    run a sub model while you compile a list of most requested features to put in the cash shop, brilliant

  7. #142
    Ascendant Vale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    Well I'm going to assume a 30 day patron pass is 15 bucks, so that means 2400 "diamonds" is about $15.
    Gods forbid someone ever actually just give us a straight up price for things, instead of the smoke and mirrors approach with the 'token' system.

    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    If that guess is accurate then MAN is some of that stuff expensive.
    Par the course I guess. If everyone else is overpriced why bother right?
    Typical Greed Collective mentality. They did the same thing with Defiance. That's why they use the 'tokens'. They're counting on people not being smart enough to do the math and see just how badly they're being gouged on some things.

    [Edit]
    Last edited by Thorne25; 05-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    Server issues? Check here first - http://www.riftgame.com/en/shardstatus/

  8. #143
    Telaran Jethos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
    The minimum wage in the US is $7.25/hr. This means that even if you work the register at McDonald's, the ability to transmute a weapon will cost you 17% of one hour's worth of pay.

    Please tell me again how that's unreasonable.
    You're using one transmute in your example. Did you read my whole post or just the first couple sentences? Maybe you missed where I asked how many times a player will change all their weapons while leveling. 30 to 50 times is what I estimated. Lets say someone creates 4 characters and wants custom weapons all the time with each of them. That's an average of say 40 weapon changes @ $1.25 per character. That's $50 per character. $200 total.

    My point was that weapon customization becomes a limited feature @ $1.25 because you won't be able to use it all the time for every weapon change unless you can pay a lot of money.

    It would have been nice for a "buy 20 transfiguration baubles for $10" deal or a permanent transfiguration ability you can buy for your character (really would have liked that).

    One cannot expect a mmo to be perfectly tailored to them though. In the scope of Rift's conversion from F2P and the 2.3 update, this isn't that big a deal anyway.

    I appreciate the work the Devs do, plan on using the shop, and will most likely continue subbing...a monthly stipend would make my decision certain though.

  9. #144
    Ascendant Boase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jethos View Post
    Maybe you missed where I asked how many times a player will change all their weapons while leveling. 30 to 50 times is what I estimated. Lets say someone creates 4 characters and wants custom weapons all the time with each of them. That's an average of say 40 weapon changes @ $1.25 per character. That's $50 per character. $200 total.
    Why would someone transmute skins on weapons that only last them 2-3 levels?


    This is mainly for people who have dungeon set weapons/raidweapons and want oldschool relic skins on them. People in their right mind won't spend real money to change the skin on an item they know they will replace super soon.
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

  10. #145
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    Why would someone transmute skins on weapons that only last them 2-3 levels?


    This is mainly for people who have dungeon set weapons/raidweapons and want oldschool relic skins on them. People in their right mind won't spend real money to change the skin on an item they know they will replace super soon.
    Yeah I was just about to say that.

    Level with your leveling weapons. Once into World... but especially Expert... and definitely Raid gear, THEN use the transmutation, and stick with it for whatever months until the next raid tier or the next expansion.

    "Hey look, I just got my best Tier 1 Raid vendor weapon! But it sucks! Until I get to obtain and see how the T1 Relics look on me, I'll use my Transmutation to turn this weapon into that awesome Life staff from Greenscale!" And then raid with that for whatever weeks and months, until either you get that T1 relic, or the next tier/expansion arrives.

    That's one example.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 05-20-2013 at 08:36 PM.

  11. #146
    Telaran Jethos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    Why would someone transmute skins on weapons that only last them 2-3 levels?


    This is mainly for people who have dungeon set weapons/raidweapons and want oldschool relic skins on them. People in their right mind won't spend real money to change the skin on an item they know they will replace super soon.
    Don't we have exactly that option with the wardrobe feature? Get an upgrade? Bam, you still can keep the same look (regardless of when the next upgrade is going to come). Why wouldn't people want that for weapons as well?

    I realize they're different systems. I like weapon transmutation. The Rift Devs are awesome for implementing it! It's obviously not as good as a wardrobe system, but it's way better than nothing.

    You're right when you say "People in their right mind won't spend real money to change the skin on an item they know they will replace super soon", and thus is why the cost limits the feature. Had the cost been 25 - 50 cents per transmute then it could be worth it to do every time.

    However, looking at it from another point of view (which you brought up), there would be people who only use a feature like this for endgame, and Rift wouldn't make as much money with them. So for what I was hoping to use this feature for, the price is too high. For others, it's probably perfectly reasonable.

    Also, most F2P mmo's do a charge for re-skinning weapons and gear. That really bugs me with those games. When I find a look I like, I prefer to stick with it (even before endgame). Rift is only doing it for weapons. So it could be a lot worse.
    Last edited by Jethos; 05-20-2013 at 09:06 PM.

  12. #147
    Ascendant Shattered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jethos View Post
    Don't we have exactly that option with the wardrobe feature? Get an upgrade? Bam, you still can keep the same look (regardless of when the next upgrade is going to come). Why wouldn't people want that for weapons as well?

    I realize they're different systems. I like weapon transmutation. The Rift Devs are awesome for implementing it! It's obviously not as good as a wardrobe system, but it's way better than nothing.
    Better than nothing, I suppose. Just another reason to want to hurry to end game though. I know what weapon I want to use on a couple of leveling characters, that I want to use the entirety of their leveling and maybe even well into endgame. But a per use fee makes this impractical. It does indeed feel very limited to me, especially to casual players and those with alts. I certainly would much prefer something that gives me unlimited uses, obviously.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

  13. #148
    Telaran Jethos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jethos View Post
    You're right when you say "People in their right mind won't spend real money to change the skin on an item they know they will replace super soon", and thus is why the cost limits the feature. Had the cost been 25 - 50 cents per transmute then it could be worth it to do every time.
    Wish there was a way to edit posts. Re-read my post and hated how this paragraph sounded. To clarify.

    Charging 25 - 50 cents for an individual transmutation bauble sounds weird. I envisioned a bulk deal like buy 20 for $10 or something. Also, more preferred would be an permanent per character ability for say between $10 - $20.

    I also should have said..... I agree, in the context of 1.25 per, that it would be strange for someone to transmute an item every time they get an upgrade. That's why the cost limits the feature. However, not if the price was significantly cheaper.

    Anyway, I apologize for dwelling on a minor issue.

    On a completely unrelated note... I wonder when the Cash Shop will be available to check out on the PTS. Hoping it's sooner rather than later.

  14. #149
    Telaran Jethos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    Better than nothing, I suppose. Just another reason to want to hurry to end game though. I know what weapon I want to use on a couple of leveling characters, that I want to use the entirety of their leveling and maybe even well into endgame. But a per use fee makes this impractical. It does indeed feel very limited to me, especially to casual players and those with alts. I certainly would much prefer something that gives me unlimited uses, obviously.
    ^This. You explained what I've been trying to say perfectly.....and with a lot less words.

  15. #150
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jethos View Post
    You're using one transmute in your example. Did you read my whole post or just the first couple sentences? Maybe you missed where I asked how many times a player will change all their weapons while leveling. 30 to 50 times is what I estimated. Lets say someone creates 4 characters and wants custom weapons all the time with each of them. That's an average of say 40 weapon changes @ $1.25 per character. That's $50 per character. $200 total.

    My point was that weapon customization becomes a limited feature @ $1.25 because you won't be able to use it all the time for every weapon change unless you can pay a lot of money.

    It would have been nice for a "buy 20 transfiguration baubles for $10" deal or a permanent transfiguration ability you can buy for your character (really would have liked that).

    One cannot expect a mmo to be perfectly tailored to them though. In the scope of Rift's conversion from F2P and the 2.3 update, this isn't that big a deal anyway.

    I appreciate the work the Devs do, plan on using the shop, and will most likely continue subbing...a monthly stipend would make my decision certain though.
    Honesty this is an extremely poor example for an average person....4 characters, transmutating 40 weapons as they level each. I would probably bet that this would never be the case. I would guess and say the average player may transmutate 1-2 weapons on their main toon, and maybe once or twice on an alt. And this wouldnt be during the course of one month.

    Why are you seeing it necessary to blow this **** out of proportion to show everyone here that your opinion is the valid one?
    PvP and Warfront Forum Anthem
    PvP whining never ends...
    It just goes on and on my friends...
    "Something killed me in a warfront and I don't know what it was...
    So I'll start a thread and rage and cry forever just because..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts