+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rift F2P FAQ

Default Rift F2P FAQ

Since people like to post the same questions and complaints and the official responses are buried in an excessively long thread, I will try to compile some of the most common together.

First of all, check here for basic info on what to expect. Also see the following letters from the Producer:
    http://community.riftgame.com/2013/0...-free-to-play/
    http://community.riftgame.com/en/201...ucing-loyalty/

This is because/why Hartsman left isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Guys, this has been in the works for quite some time, and no one left the company because of this decision. This was not over night - we've been looking at this for over a year, carefully planning what the right transition for RIFT meant, a transition that gives real value to the users, not just a cash grab.

I understand that any number of you are upset right now, that this is a shock to some of you. It's our job as developers to prove to you, with actions, not words, that this is the best thing for RIFT.

~Daglar
    Oh no, pay to win!

Everyone is going to have a different definition of pay to win - it will debated from the beginning of time until the end of time.

A line has to be drawn somewhere, and the line we drew was at gear and actual stat bonuses. You can't buy the best gear in the game, and we don't sell boosts that make you more powerful.

~Daglar
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...nla3?context=1
    The best gear in the game won't have a price tag on it. Raid mark gear is typically the best in the game - we don't have any level 60 raid mark gear on the store for credits. A variety of the dungeon gear is available. We are not currently planning on selling any of the top end raid crafting components either.
    So people will stop needing to do dungeons?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ozqq?context=3
    There are quite a few items that can be upgraded only using expert marks, including a bunch of raid gear. In fact, with 2.3 there will be even more gear that can be upgraded. - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...psxz?context=3
    There will be a new crafting component bought with expert tokens in 2.3 - it will be used to make some brand new very high end runes and expendables. - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    Will raid gear be available for purchase in the future?

Top tier won't be available. When we do the shifts really depends on when we do the mark shifts we plan on doing in the future.

One of the things we feel we really screwed up on long term was creating to many types of marks - one for each tier. We want to simplify in the future, when T2 is released, we'll be doing a multiplier on the number of raid marks and converting those into dungeon marks. Raid marks will only be earned then from the top tier raid - and potentially some quests for the non top tier raids.

The previous purchased gear will become available for sale for dungeon marks at new values based on the scale of dungeon marks. Credit pricing will then be based on the dungeon mark values - some of those items will not be cost effective to purchase with credits folks. Tier shifts won't be happening every patch - just like today.

~Daglar
    Will we have to pay to access content?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...p22g?context=1
    We don't plan on putting any dungeons, raids, or content behind paywalls. We want more people playing together, not a few folks playing in a walled garden. - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    We are not selling access to areas. We have to give all of our content away for free - that's the right thing to do. We give you an amazing game to play, a place to meet up with friends. If you want to support it, because you like it, I know that people will choose to buy things.

~Daglar
    If I stop paying a subscription will I have to delete characters/bags/roles/etc? Will I lose the banker summon I already have from veteran rewards?

Patron status does not grant additional slots - it does not include things that taking away would dramatically lessen gameplay.

Your character slots are an attribute of your account - and everyone posting in this thread is a Veteran of RIFT. You don't lose anything.

~Daglar
    Patron status is separate from what your account has unlocked.

As a veteran you won't lose anything. We won't take your bag slots away, that would be terrible! The same goes for your summons that currently exist, the patron summons will be new, with their own cooldowns and we'll offer the ability to summon things you can't currently get access to as well!

~Daglar
    We don't limit bag space or role slots based on sub or non sub. That would be absolutely terrible!

As someone that has ever played RIFT prior to the transition you lose nothing - you have all your bag slots, all your bank slots, everything you have ever had. We won't be taking it away or revoking it. You are a veteran of RIFT and we would not take that away from you.

Brand new users that never played RIFT, that never supported the game before, will need to unlock those slots - but you, as a veteran, you have it forever.

~Daglar
    Weapon transmog?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...oesv?context=1
    This is currently going to be available as a service in the store. - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    We actually have some of these as loyalty rewards along the way. I would expect that those of you that have been playing for some time will receive a few - per character.

~Daglar
    It will be available. It allows you to take any weapon of a type 1h, 2h, etc, and copy the appearance of another weapon of that type onto it.

You can turn a dagger into a rolling pin or a mace, you can turn a 2h sword into a 2h axe if you desire. If you've held onto some of the very old relic weapons and loved their appearances, you can apply those to your current weapons of the same wield category.

~Daglar
    Both weapons stay around. I don't want to take stuff away from folks. It would sure suck to have a great appearance you love, and get a new upgraded weapon and not be able to apply the skin you like.

~Daglar
    Role slots?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...qea0?context=1
    20 total role slots (more than enough!) will be available in 2.3. Currently slated to give out a few of those via Loyalty as well. (more on that next week) - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    Race/Faction/Sex changes?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...nymx?context=1
    Yep! - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    Does that mean the barber will now require paying real money for existing options?

Anything you can pay plat for today you can pay for after the change in plat. If you want to change your race, or your sex at the barber, that will cost credits.

~Daglar
    Flying mounts?

Flying mallards that give advice.

But, no, flying mounts are not coming any time soon.

~Daglar
    Will Patrons get a stipend of Credits to use in the store?

We are not currently planning on including credits per month. As with everything though, feedback goes a long ways

~Daglar
    Will there be Patron-only servers?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...o7hk?context=1
    No. We are not about segregating our player base. It's going to take the community coming together to shape the future of the game - embrace new folks, bring them over to your way of thinking - don't try to keep them at arms length! - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    Will development be slower/more focused on cash shop items/casual players?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...nqga?context=1
    Raiders shouldn't be worried, we have two new 20 player raids coming out in patch 2.4.
    RIFT is still the same game - its just free now.
    When new players come into the game look at them like you do every other potential raider -- someone that might be helping you fight off the planes and kill internet dragons! Bill "Daglar" Fisher, Creative Director
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...qdkx?context=1
    Our goal is to make sure that our updates are faster than 2.2 to 2.3 - we unfortunately can't make stuff instantly - I wish we could! There is no grand plan to make RIFT more "casual" - we feel that the game is at about the right difficulty level. - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    So what else will be available in the cash shop?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...p0gp?context=1
    We'll have a variety of new wardrobe items, pets, and mounts up there. We'd love to do additional hairstyles some day, but that isn't in the cards today. - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    We offer a variety of items for both in game currency (plat, marks, etc), and credits (purchased with real money). The dimension section of the RIFT store is quite large.

~Daglar
    Lets see, whats behind the paywall. Services that were not available previously such as race, sex, and faction change. Additional role slots above and beyond what were available (though also priced in game currency), same to be said for costume slots, and some exclusive costumes.

There are plenty of items available for dual currency prices (both in game prices, and credits prices).

If you have never played RIFT before, you'll have to unlock some more bag space with credits.

~Daglar
    Will we get spammed with ads for the cash shop?

You don't have to deal with cash shop advertisements outside of the RIFT store while in game. Some folks at the company asked for a pop up advertising page every time you log into RIFT. I told them to jump in a god damn lake.

I won't promise that you never see an MOTD or text message, in game, but we don't plan on doing any sort of in game advertising pop ups right now. The patcher will probably mention some featured things from time to time - just like it does now.

~Daglar
    When can we see the cash shop on PTS?

We have a few issues to wrap up to get it onto PTS, when we do our test there it will be using our real billing environment so things need to be tightened up. We'll also be having some offers and ways to get bonus credits and loyalty when we are able to get it on PTS.

~Daglar
    What happens to my existing subscription time?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...qa52?context=1
    You will have 250 days of patron time [for 250 days of subscription time]. Credits are purchased with real money, and can be spent on the RIFT store.
    Purchasing credits, and spending credits also grants Loyalty, which is a new system to reward folks that choose to pay - similar to our Veteran Rewards program.
    You'll also receive a one-time bonus of Credits based on how long you've been a subscriber on June 12. - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    If you have pre-paid time it will roll over to Patron status on June 12th with the release of RIFT 2.3: Empyreal Assault & the Free-to-Play system.

Every subscriber is entitled to a one-time bonus of credits based on the time you've already subscribed which will be rewarded to your account at that time as well.

Those locked into a discount rate will continue to enjoy that rate so long as you remain a Patron!

Cheers,
    Loyalty?

Loyalty is an unlock system for your account that gives things to all of your characters that you ever create on it. You earn loyalty by purchasing credits, spending credits, when you buy Patron status, when you consume REX, and it will also be very rarely available as a drop in game, and be offered up for taking part in community events and PTS testing.

Everyone will also be receiving all the loyalty they would have received for their subscriptions had the system existed from the beginning.

~Daglar
    Will non-Patrons be able to post on the official forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    Free-to-Play players will have limited access to specific forum sections (New Player, Tech Support, etc.)

Short-term this means only Patrons will be able to post in all forum areas, though I'd like to find ways to expand that to others in the future
    Will non-Patrons get ahead of Patrons in server queues?

It's not a feature we are really advertising, but this should already be built into RIFT right now. Subscribers go to the front of the queue if there is one.

~Daglar
    What if I have a long existing subscription or just renewed my subscription?

Hopefully have more stuff finalized by next week -- but I announced some of this on the live stream.

Storm Chaser Edition -- Anyone that bought the bundle of 1 year + Storm Legion will receive roughly $50 in credits once the conversion is done in addition to the credits they will receive for past play time.

6 month and normal annual plans - Will receive the Ice Raptor Mount.

Extended Remaining Subscriptions - We are working on insuring that you are rewarded if you have a ton of additional time on your account. Right now the cutoff is 1+ year of additional time, and that will be 5 dollars of credits per remaining month.

Patrons - We are working to give Patrons a 10% discount on the store. This takes more work to do, but we are working towards it.

Patrons - Reminder - Patrons have priority over free players for login queues. We did not explicitly advertise this previously.

Bill "Daglar" Fisher
    Creative Director: RIFT
    will add more as I find it.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 05-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Good job, i recommend you to add the one about Items treshold in shop being Expert dunegons.
    No flying mounts.
    No segregating servers between patron and no patrons.
    About current long-term subscribers getting also REX as a compensation on top of patron.
    About 2.4 having 2 20man raids innit.
    About continuing aggresive content updates.
    About not segregating players by patron and nonpatron (titles or other thingies).
    About testing shop in PTS.
    About how Trion is not refunding ANY of the subs.
    Last edited by BadTouch; 05-15-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Badtouch @ Gelidra - Level 60 Mage
    Madtouch @ Gelidra - Level 60 Rogue
    Sadtouch @ Gelidra - Level 60 Rogue - A semi-automated alter ego!

I think rift has not enough tentacled monsters.

Added some, there hasn't really been a response on the "refund" thing so nothing to add there. Also added a link to the producer's letter which I actually just found out was there

Default Rift as a whole

So there is no monthly subscription. But do I have to buy a copy of RIFT from the start, like with Defiance or GW2 so on? Like do I have to go to target and buy RIFT for $60 download it and then play forever? Or do I download it and then play forever?
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

Thanks for doing this! I'd been meaning to compile something similar, but life has been hectic.

Fragasm: Come June 12th it will be download and play, levels 1-60, all zones.
    CM Morgana ~ Community Coordinator ~
    Avatar art is courtesy of Allie Brosh!

Soulwalker

i doing f2p all ready lol i got game for free

Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    Thanks for doing this! I'd been meaning to compile something similar, but life has been hectic.

I love you Now my poor friends can come play!! Lol
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

stick it up at the top, thanks OP.

Shadowlander

Thank you for posting this here.

Champion

Any way we can stickie this thread to the top of the forum so it is easy to find after it stops getting edits and replies?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post

So all of Storm Legion will be free, then, souls being the exception?
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Ascendant

20 total role slots (more than enough!) will be available in 2.3. Currently slated to give out a few of those via Loyalty as well. (more on that next week) - Bill Fisher, Creative Director
    Best news ever!
    Raenryong@Deepwood R69 ~ Amathys@Zaviel (Rogue)
    Serefina@Deepwood R66 ~ Solserefina@Zaviel (Warrior)
    Seraena@Deepwood R80 ~ Seraena@Zaviel R70 (Cleric)
    Avalonia@Deepwood R66 ~ Avalonia@Zaviel (Mage)
    <Dauntless> ~ <Excellence>

Rift Disciple

So i think i need clarification....

The threshold at the real money shop is expert dungeon gear... Does this mean you can buy expert dung gear or you can buy UP TO but NOT including expert dung gear. If its the former, that would mean people who bought their toons will have T1 raid ready toons with no idea how to play them in terms of having had some practice with mechanics, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Chatlagh View Post
    So i think i need clarification....

The threshold at the real money shop is expert dungeon gear... Does this mean you can buy expert dung gear or you can buy UP TO but NOT including expert dung gear. If its the former, that would mean people who bought their toons will have T1 raid ready toons with no idea how to play them in terms of having had some practice with mechanics, yes?
    Yes, so no different from the current situation.

I think a big thank your trawling the largest forum thread ever is needed for the op.

This makes it smooth and digestible

Like if you agree
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast