+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: New Guild Recruitment Documentation -- Provide Proof of Employment and Patron Status

This whole thread just sounds like a elitist prick trying to make a irrelevant point. Out of all the F2P/ hybrid games I've seen once you hit max level you almost have to sub. Rift is no different. It should be called 1-60 free trail. This whole thread is a moot point.
    Last edited by Chumly; 05-16-2013 at 05:19 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celata View Post
    I'm not quite sure how you justify this statement. I'm sure there are some fights that might be easier with tactician AoE, but I'm not convinced they're impossible with some other AoE. On your own fansite you describe several top SL rogue builds that have no tactician ("61MM / 10 Sin / 5NB", "61 Riftstalker / 8 Ranger / 7 Bard Raid Tank, Maximum Effective Health"). So either not every rogue is required to have tactician, or we should not believe you that these are the best raid builds.
    Let's go with Option C: You have no idea what you're talking about.

Tactician is required for every raiding rogue, but that doesn't mean you use it on every fight. In fact, its only needed for a few fights. But it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumly View Post
    This whole thread just sounds like a elitist prick trying to make a irrelevant point. Out of all the F2P/ hybrid games I've seen once you hit max level you almost have to sub. Rift is no different. It should be called 1-60 free trail. This whole thread is a moot point.
    You really know how to make a girl feel special.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 05-16-2013 at 06:02 AM.

Ascendant

When I was a kid I used to roll my eyes to the back of my head incessantly. My parents were worried I had some kind of condition. After much deliberation about what doctor to go see, I told them I was doing it on purpose to emulate Rudolph from the old claymation version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

See, I don't understand...They said (this can change) that top raiding gear won't be bought, but earned through gameplay. So pay2raid doesn't make sense to me.

The subbed stuff is just a little bonus, one that we aren't getting now as a sub...so stay subbed? I don't see the difference.

And, buying the souls is pretty much like buying an expansion....so buy the expansion.

Ya'll are just looking at it in the wrong light. A negative one. Start complaining when they do start gating content, and selling raid gear in store.
    Hold fast and we will watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side

Quote Originally Posted by wowerfreaktobi View Post
    See, I don't understand...They said (this can change) that top raiding gear won't be bought, but earned through gameplay. So pay2raid doesn't make sense to me.

The subbed stuff is just a little bonus, one that we aren't getting now as a sub...so stay subbed? I don't see the difference.

And, buying the souls is pretty much like buying an expansion....so buy the expansion.

Ya'll are just looking at it in the wrong light. A negative one. Start complaining when they do start gating content, and selling raid gear in store.
    what im seeing the point some or most are saying or trying to get across is...

we already paid a year + sub in advance, so we shouldn't have to pay anything to get anything at least not for a long time

the perks or bonus' are useless to raiders due to having all the gear and rep and everything already

Pay to Win is a very bad idea for, what was such a good game now turning to trash

i bet all my plat and how ever many REX i get that the upcoming raid content is going to be like 10x worse then EE FT and the 10 man combined
    Last edited by Taxt; 05-16-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Personally I don't see how this is going to end up PtW but I understand that serious raiders are serious raiders and they can do whatever the hell they want to ensure they have like-minded serious raiders.

- Said the casual who could care less about any of this.

Who would pay money to get yelled at by Dunsparrow? I guess there are some lonely people on the internet who are into some kinky ****...
    "I killed and ate a girl in 1990." - Jacob 'Daglar' Daglarson
    "Nicold is the best mage EU" - Arthur "Noge" Nogenstein
    "Nicold is the best warrior NA" - James "RoughRaptors" Franco
    "Nicold carried <Virus> through ID" - Gary "Ogdru" Ogdruington
    "Nicold was my surrogate father." Wayne "Wayyyyyyne" Waynenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Its obvious that Patron Status and store purchases will be mandatory for serious raiding guilds who want to progress at semi-fast rates.

I am the GM of Negative Ghostrider, and by no means is my guild hardcore. I was even snubbed by a Rift podcast for not being hardcore enough. But I don't see how my guild can go on raiding without every member being a Patron and spending money as needed on new souls, raid currency, gear, boosts, etc.

Personally, I don't mind doing this. I'm single and have a good job and I'll either pay what is needed to win or quit the game entirely. But its going to be hard on some people in my guild (students, taking care of family illness, etc) whenever new forced purchases come down the pike. These would be things like new souls.

Can you imagine trying to progress on Matriarch if your rogues didn't have the Tactician soul? Can you imagine tanks trying to survive Crucia breath without a Defiler in the raid?

The game may not be Pay2Win, but it will definitely be Pay2Raid. Or at least Pay2NotSuck. So, guess I'll be adding some new required documentation on my guild's application:

Can you afford to raid? Maybe I'll even force people to fork over some REX before they can join. Nothing proves ability to pay like a membership fee.

Hooray.

P.S. Check our my latest blog post, Free to Fail. F2P might be good for Rift, but Devs have some 'splainin to do.

Dun... looks like they are doing a bit of back pedaling... from Daglar yesterday..

We are not selling marks, though a very limited number may be awarded from treasure chests. There is also a system in place to limit the maximum number of marks gained in a given time period.
    My guess though is NOT that they did this on some basis of principle. Someone probably said "Hey Dag, you know if you get bonus marks for Patron status AND from kills AND from the store...well then in a week people could be completely geared out."
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by wowerfreaktobi View Post

You miss that Trion said "we LOVE you...buy a year sub and get SL plus this other stuff for free." THEN they come out and said that they were planning the f2p transition BEFORE they made this sales pitch to us.

Sorry but this is one of the few times in over a decade of MMO playing where I honestly believe the angst and anger is 100% justified. The only other time I can think of is NGE.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

This whole thread just sounds like a elitist prick trying to make a irrelevant point.
    It doesn't.
    OP has a very good point imo, I see the same "risks": players being *expected* to pay a sub for the buffs and also to buy gear to be competitive (if they don't yet have the best when new content is released).
    Last edited by Niagara; 05-16-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Soulwalker

But guys. We get level 60 realm of the Fae.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    You miss that Trion said "we LOVE you...buy a year sub and get SL plus this other stuff for free." THEN they come out and said that they were planning the f2p transition BEFORE they made this sales pitch to us.
    Also, look at how grindy Storm Legion is if compared to pre-SL Rift ... I may be wrong, but ... it looks a lot like LoTRO, where Turbine puts a lot of grinding just to sell "accelerators" on the shop ...

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Niagara View Post
    Also, look at how grindy Storm Legion is if compared to pre-SL Rift ... I may be wrong, but ... it looks a lot like LoTRO, where Turbine puts a lot of grinding just to sell "accelerators" on the shop ...
    Wouldn't be surprised to see some new ultra-grindy PA levels.

Soulwalker

ther are good mmos f2p, the key is they are not pay2win.
    Free2play could enhace the game, and trust me, is the mmo bussines model of these days.
    Subscriptions are dying. Believe me or not, i bought the game yesterday, knowing is going free2play.
    I'll have not to buy the bag slots, expansion souls, etc... and only have to pay Patron status when i want, if a month i want to go soft gaming, i don't pay Patron status that month and all ok, still can play.
    More people is coming with f2p... so more populated servers.
    Free2Play can be a success, all depends on Trion having a fair Cash Shop.

Shadowlander

Hey,
    Hey,
    No for real
    Hey

There's a reason we call him Dumbsparrow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast