Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Steppes of Infinity

Quote Originally Posted by Valavus View Post
    I still love Iron Pine Peaks. Dunno what it is about it.....the music and the snow drifts. It just makes you feel like you've rode into a novel.
    I can agree with this. Really feels like I'm apart of some story or narration going on while I am in this zone. New SL zones have lacked these kinds of atmosphere that pre-SL zones had.

New SL zones just feel like a barren wasteland all over the place.

Plane Touched

When I hear "steppes" I think of wide, open places. Not exactly what SoI is with its canyons, sharp rocks etc. I'm also really missing lore on the zone, for example what about that huge flying rock thing in the north east?

Also the music is too warlike in that zone for my taste (sure, its the final stronghold of the storm legion, but it gets annoying eventually). Ashora has more of a peaceful desert feeling to me (although it certainly isn't

Shield of Telara

There are actually more IS and Notoriety things in SoI than Ashora. Because to the best of my knowledge there are not standard "kill 18 rift creatures" or 'close 5 rifts' in Ashora. if there are they have escaped me the past 6 weeks since I came back.

Ashora to me just looks like some random invasion happened and there are a few scattered mobs here and there, with the local dangerous fauna around. Steppes is a complete war zone. Where it looks like there have always been bad guys around, even the slaves are bad ***.

But I wasnt really getting at the lore or the concept behind it, jut that people tend to avoid it. CoC for example, no different to me than Party Crashers. But people flock to pick up stuff to turn in for that one, while it can take 30-40 minutes to zap 400 sheep. Once the boss spawns, sure there are plenty of people, mostly because the port is close by and you get the quest complete. But people who just do the boss miss out on 8 stones.

I also failed to mention Champion of the Firestorm. That one never gets anyone for some reason, maybe too hard, r too involved or too many stages with little reward for each one. Not to mention the next to last phase is pretty tough. But if it were in Ashora I am sure more people would do it. Just seems like SoI goes unnoticed even by people who know what goes on there. I know you never see any low levels there leeching off events or groups. That in and of itself makes it a great place IMO. If I had a monthly sub for every sub 50 I saw in a GHR in Ashora, I would play for free for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Byaku View Post
    Sadly this; the new zones have had very little character compared to the old-world.
    Lemming (formerly Mrhyde@Belmont), Guild Leader of Black Company on Greybriar
    We are Black Company ~~~ See our recruitment thread!

THIS IS HOW I ROLL
    Raids Mon/Tue/Thur 5:30 server time, 9/9, 2/4, 1/3, 1/3

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    The dailies in Steppes award fewer IS than the ones in Ashora, I noticed. Why? They are no easier to do- to the contrary.

I hope Trion never creates a zone anything like Steppes again. The place sets my teeth on edge. I've missed a lot no doubt, as far as rep and IS, because I can't stand to be in that zone. I'll do the events there, begrudgingly, but I won't hang out there, like I've been known to do in Ashora.

Tough to navigate, thick with mobs, no safe road, and absolutely dreary and unpleasant. Seratos is even worse as far as how it affects the eye and mood, but at least it's not an end-game zone. What's with all the barren desolation in the SL zones anyway? I'd love to see more zones like Silverwood and Moonshade Highlands, you know, places you actually enjoy lingering in. Those places feel like magic to me. Not one zone in SL gives me that feeling.
    I quote from Darkness in the movie legend, where there is light, there will always be darkness. Muhahaha

I disagree with you. I simply love the steppes! The whole atmosphere is enticing, the music is spectacular and the onslaughts are awesome!

If you want to talk creapy....the puss swamps and it IS deadly for sure!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    I love Steppes, heh. I also love Seratos, though I thought there was waaay too much of it. I love the dark, claustrophobic feel of the zones. I really like the stormy sky of Steppes. Very pretty. But then I love storms and rain and dislike desert climes.

Would like to see more forest-y environments though.
    So far I am not a fan of Steppes *though haven't explored much of it yet* But I agree the sky is nice. I do also like Seratos a lot but agree with you that it was way to big. They should have either made it much smaller or put a lot more quests and stuff in it. I am still hoping in the future they will fill out that zone more because so much of it is wasted space. Which is sad because it is one of the best looking SL zones imo.

I would also like to see more forested zones. Stuff like Silverwood or Gloamwood comes to mind. Not to mention I loved Iron pine peak and would love to see another zone like it. So while I do like the creepy wastelands like Seratos and Morban for instance some pretty zones like we have in silverwood would be nice as well.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Agree with this, and many nights will find me hanging out in the old world just for the sheer enjoyment of the beauty. And my very favorite zone of all time? Gloamwood! Oh I hope we get a Dimension sometime there!

But then my 2nd favorite zone is Scarlet Gorge so what do I know. Reminds me of Deadwood. I love it.
    You know while I disliked questing in Scarlet Gorge at least on the Guardian side I do think the zone really does look neat.

Rift Chaser

There is grass, turn your textures up.

Steppes of Infinity is like my hood, I know that place inside and out. The reason people probably dislike it is because you really can't do much group activity in Steppes of Infinity. Raid Rifts spawn in extremely difficult places to get to, including normal Rift Tears, there is minimal safe areas where you can walk without agroing some mobs, the indoor areas are extremely skewered (please do not make these types of indoor buildings ever again, they horrifically kill my eyes when the camera zooms in and out), and it's essentially one giant mess as if someone took a dump on Steppes of Infinity, you have floating objects everywhere and Water textures stuck inside a wall? Makes you wonder why it's even there or whether or not the maps were even looked at properly before release. You guys have fly through functions on your Dev Clients for christs sake.

I don't like the transition from Morban into Steppes of Infinity, it doesn't feel natural at all. The best map transitions for me is probably City Core ---> Eastern Holdings and Kingdom of Pelladane ---> Seratos. My all time favourite zone would most likely be Seratos, the atmosphere here is so eary, it's different and unique.

Seratos is sooo good, especially when I'm listening to Obsidia - Dominate.
    The transition from Pelladane into Seratos is great. That moment when you first step into Seratos is awesome. City Core into Eastern Holdings is good too but I think the monster should be faster haha! Give you more of a sense that you need to haul butt to get out of there!

Quote Originally Posted by Redius View Post
    Sadly this; the new zones have had very little character compared to the old-world.
    I guess i am the only one who thinks the art team did a good job of creating a continent that is dreary and has been ravaged by the planes. If the plane of death consumes Telara, then that is what you are going to get...a barren wasteland of death and disfigurement, etc..

I am in agreement though, that Mathosia has some very nostalgic zones but I also like the SL zones and the atmosphere that they create.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Well, I haven't spent any time in Steppes, but I've been around Tulan, City Core, Seratos, Ashora.

Zone/feel - I really like City Core. I love the abandoned "post apocalyptic" feel to the place, as well as the crumbling and overgrown ruins.

Now, I always thought my all time favorite zone was Moonshade, but leveling my 2nd character to 50 right now, I found that I adore Shimmersand. The music, the tents, the palm trees, the hidden lagoons, the ocean, the "One thousand and one night" old world Persian feel is truly delightful.
    Last edited by Agrona77; 05-07-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Agrona/Hailol-Glen of Monrylee, Souq Asha, Shangri La; Aggy/Faeblight-Remnants of Atlantis; Sheelana/Hailol-RobCo Industries; Caladria/Faeblight-Ynys Afallach; Bodicca/Faeblight: Uznahgaar Volum

As someone who likes to gather resources, I hardly ever see resource nodes when I'm in the Steppes or Morban or Seratos), yet I know in Ashora I can often find nodes everywhere. That was the primary reason why the maps on most of my toons are almost completely grey from east Seratos on.

As was already mentioned, getting around Ashora is easy as pie. Not so for the Steppes. Trion has done a lot for the Steppes to make it less of a hassle by adding the porticulums and removing fall damage. Unfortunately, though, people's impressions from early on most likely stuck. They did for me as I leveled 4 toons to 60. I'm trying to spend more time there, but I just don't find the gloomy ole Steppes to be worth the effort.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (60) & Oxenheart - Warrior (60) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me / us (or if you here a "Huzzah!" after a zone event)!

Because wide parts are barren wastelands.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

Ascendant

I like steppes of infinity, I LOVE seratos

There is grass, turn your textures up.
    Dang, so I should stop killing those sheep now? I've never seen any grass in there at all... oops.

The more I visit Gloamwood the more I love it. It has so much atmosphere, in an eerie sort of way. The whole zone reminds me of 'The Estate of Unrest' from EQ2.

ps: you confused me with your avatar change!

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by Calliso View Post
    You know while I disliked questing in Scarlet Gorge at least on the Guardian side I do think the zone really does look neat.
    Defiant side had much more interesting quests, I agree.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast