+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree264Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: PA rollbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by LoisGriffin View Post
    Want to know the one difference? None of these above actions were punished.
    I can point out a difference....

Now this is just my personal opinion as to why these previous exploits/hacks weren't "punished", quite simple really

Daglar wasn't in charge back then

Its interesting to me what is deemed cheating and what isn't. Examples above are exactly the same line of using a mob in an instance with a high XP rate to get PA, yet none of those were punished.

To be honest I am not questioning this decision in isolation but it is unfair to expect a player base to not be p'd off considering the history of how they have dealt with very similar bugs. The UB farm (yes I did it) did not feel like an exploit as you were completing boss mechanics correctly (in fact dealing with an enrage... bloody hard work) and yes the XP was very high, but given prior examples I was happy in the assumption that it would be hotfixed and left alone as with all other times. Why now the roll backs? Inconsistent and as a result very annoying
    Perhaps they are "turning over a new leaf", given the community's outrage at bots and the like. Maybe this is the first step in a stronger plan to clean up cheating and other activities that they deem not-in-the-spirit of Rift? Who knows? Things change, and maybe this is just the beginning. Additionally, it's not possible to make the game 100% free of cheaters or bots, but if they don't try anything at all, they can't make any progress at all.

As for the cross-shard comment you made earlier, I thought I'd provide you with a link where Daglar states that it's not intended, but it's not an exploit and is actually something they'd planned to do in the future.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post4174702

Champion of Telara

So let's see if I get this straight, we're supposed to QQ when Trion does nothing, we're supposed to QQ when Trion takes too long, and finally, we're supposed to QQ when they react to a situation quickly?
    Then again, I suppose which side of the ethical dilemma you fall on determines your response.
    And everyone likes to throw the CQ farming in there with the exploits. It wasn't an exploit, it was truly unethical gameplay, no different then pvp shard people camping at repawn spots and ports, it just happened on a much larger scale and people allowed themselves to fall into a mob mentality.

Rift Disciple

Long and short, I personally watched true exploits in the past from folks, in the middle of currently trying to get rid of a duper on my server, and yes, I did "exploit" a known bug that had been reported by mass amounts of people since november for less than half a day. Does that term me an exploiter and I need to be banned? Up to Trion. I know for a fact, every single person in this game has at one point knowing or unknowingly "exploited" a bug since trion is currently throwing around the exploit term so freely. Also, if that is the case, Trion should write every guide to every encounter and every rift, and every dungeon, so that every player knows what is expected from every encounter in the game then.

AND BACK TO A PREVIOUS POINT:
    IF Trion had given workable links in their email, most of these postings would not have happened since we could have gone to their provided source for grievances. But one again, we must be in the wrong.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TaoOfRogue View Post
    And everyone likes to throw the CQ farming in there with the exploits. It wasn't an exploit, it was truly unethical gameplay
    Was not farming a mob that was legitimately part of an encounter that was being executed correctly (mechanics etc) also just unethical gameplay?

Quote Originally Posted by Taree View Post
    Perhaps they are "turning over a new leaf", given the community's outrage at bots and the like. Maybe this is the first step in a stronger plan to clean up cheating and other activities that they deem not-in-the-spirit of Rift
    Pretty sure Daglar just posted a state of the game a couple of weeks ago, could this not have been addressed? Let people know that they are changing the attitude regarding utilising bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Taree View Post
    As for the cross-shard comment you made earlier, I thought I'd provide you with a link where Daglar states that it's not intended
    If you re-read my post I said it was un-intended and I am just curious as to know how we were meant to know that before the post. Equally trion could have deemed people swapping shards last night for zone events as exploiting and unintended bug, yet no they deem it OK. Just impossible to know the line. As I said I honestly saw no issue with farming this issue as we were completing the encounter correctly. Having not had access to PA xp for a long time I am meant to assume what the correct rate is?

Furthermore I was speaking to a person who also farmed this, he got up to around 655-660 levels ( not saying exactly for anonymity ) with no email and roll back and a person he had been speaking to had 662 levels and he had recieved an email informing of roll-back. Why the arbirtary line Daglar?
    Last edited by LoisGriffin; 03-02-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Champion of Telara

Was not farming a mob that was legitimately part of an encounter that was being executed correctly (mechanics etc) also just unethical gameplay?
    The deliberate farming of adds while keeping the boss alive for an indeterminate amount of time is an exploit. People being trollish by tossing aoe on a spawnpoint in hoping someone will respawn is not. They're both unethical gameplay, but one is more than the other.
    Smidge
    Wolfsbane

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TaoOfRogue View Post
    The deliberate farming of adds while keeping the boss alive for an indeterminate amount of time is an exploit. People being trollish by tossing aoe on a spawnpoint in hoping someone will respawn is not. They're both unethical gameplay, but one is more than the other.
    And grugonim add farming?

To break the rules knowingly and then stamp your feet and throw a fit for being punished, is reminiscent of a petulant child throwing a tantrum.

If you don't want to be punished, don't break the rules.

It's pretty simple.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Pretty sure Daglar just posted a state of the game a couple of weeks ago, could this not have been addressed? Let people know that they are changing the attitude regarding utilising bugs?
    I have no idea if this could have been addressed then or not. Perhaps the decision was made between then and now (2.2). Or maybe they just finally said, "enough is enough" and put their foot down on this very event, at this very moment, capturing folks who originally thought it'd be glossed over yet again. Perhaps tracking exploiters is difficult and they have to pick their battles.

If you re-read my post I said it was un-intended and I am just curious as to know how we were meant to know that before the post. Equally trion could have deemed people swapping shards last night for zone events as exploiting and unintended bug, yet no they deem it OK. Just impossible to know the line. As I said I honestly saw no issue with farming this issue as we were completing the encounter correctly. Having not had access to PA xp for a long time I am meant to assume what the correct rate is?
    My apologies. I confused you with another poster, who is throwing out the word exploit left and right. I do want to point out, though, that the poster Daglar responded to regarding the cross-shard summons stated that she/he refused to perform the summoning until someone from Trion verified if it was intended or an exploit. In other words, instead of wondering and still doing, she/he refrained until she/he knew. Perhaps the lesson here is -- when in doubt, don't (and then post to ask).

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    If you don't want to be punished, don't break the rules.

It's pretty simple.
    As I have stated a couple of times already I didn't believe I was doing anything wrong, given the precedents Trion have given us when it comes to using errors they make in getting us XP. I mean I am now utilising the cross shard stuff and I honestly feel that this is going to benefit me more than boneforge, I have tagged I think 6 Volans and countless other events tonight, but Daglar deemed this one OK so I figure why not? I am being robbed of my other efforts

So what you're saying is, you thought the massive amount of fast xp was intended?

I mean, just looking at the huge amount of xp needed to gain PA is enormous.

I think folks were thinking to themselves "well trion hasn't done anything before..they won't do anything now, it's cool"

But that doesn't mean it's ok.

Plane Touched

So what you're saying is, you thought the massive amount of fast xp was intended?

I mean, just looking at the huge amount of xp needed to gain PA is enormous.

I think folks were thinking to themselves "well trion hasn't done anything before..they won't do anything now, it's cool"

But that doesn't mean it's ok.
    No I didn't think it was intended but also I didn't think I was exploiting the game, I was completing an encounter within its allowed parameters, wasn't glitching anything. I have not recieved PA xp since 1.9 or so, so I have no idea how fast is appropriate for PA with storm legion. I knew it was fast by speaking to others, however again I had no issue doing it as I wasn't taking advantage of some glitch in the wall etc. Had trion previously even SAID publicly that previous times that people did similar actions were considered exploiting and didn't roll back due to technical issues I would accept that, however the prevalent attitude till now has been, get in before it get fixed and you have no problems. They had not therefore I honestly was saying openly to others that I believe this is fine, while doing it and seeing the XP

Just gonna have to roll with the punches and deal with rollbacks.

Plane Touched

Just gonna have to roll with the punches and deal with rollbacks.
    Oh I am, but I believe I am entitled to vent my frustration. I have played since about 1 month after release and I have never once received a violation for anything, at all. I have watched others get away with much worse unintended bugs (imo) and the one time that I am around and choose to participate is the time they change the rules. Perhaps Daglar and co should spend more time testing content (lol 'hard' modes) and less time worrying about roll backs

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    I can point out a difference....

Now this is just my personal opinion as to why these previous exploits/hacks weren't "punished", quite simple really

Daglar wasn't in charge back then
    This is a perfect response. In all honesty, yeah there were things done in the past that should probably have been handled differently. However, you cannot judge what is or is not 'ok' based strictly on past response to events. The EULA/ToS dictates the rules you agree to play by, and no matter how many times someone else has gotten away with violating them in the past, it will never give you the right to get away with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast