+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree411Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: State of the game: I'm concerned, and starting to be actually worried...

Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    From another thread AND by someone else:

IMHO, ignorance and self-entitlement seem to be features of your posts. I am still wondering why you have multiple forum accounts (how many do you have?) and post similar comments on both of them, is it to make it seem someone else agrees with you? Or is it a back up in case of banning?
    Oblivion333 is not mantiss.

Oblivion333 is a well respected member of the pvp community. (and a damn good pvp cleric)
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    Oblivion333 is not mantiss.

Oblivion333 is a well respected member of the pvp community. (and a damn good pvp cleric)
    It was not Obliviona333 I was referring to but Mantiss and IonCannon, I did not mean to infer any relationship with Oblivion333 or of the PvP community generally.
    There are eight species of Bear (Ursidae): Arctos, Americanus, Thibetanus, Maritimus, Helarctos, Melonleuca, Ornatus, Malayanus, Ursinus.
    Koalas are not one of them, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    It was not Obliviona333 I was referring to but Mantiss and IonCannon, I did not mean to infer any relationship with Oblivion333 or of the PvP community generally.
    My bad, I thought you meant oblivion was a sock account of mantiss.

<3

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    (Obviously, abusive people can stop all the abuse by simply ceasing to do it. It is a mystery that we still have police forces when it would be so much easier just to tell everyone to stop breaking the law, amirite?)

But that's not to say it's as good as it used to be, or that it's not declining rather than improving. So... I'm concerned, bordering on worried. I really want to see something done about this now, when it wouldn't take a whole lot to fix it, rather than having it wait until too many of the less-abusive players have gone elsewhere.
    I read Seebs' post this morning before work and although I was a +1 on the concern of the state of people's behavior/community in this game, I had no intent to reply. Yes, on my shard the chat channels have gotten MUCH worse in recent months but I have sadly surrendered to the other alternatives suggested in this thread of shrinking the window down, not looking at it, /ignore Nightly-Drunken/Psycho Ranter, etc.

However, tonight I lost a guildie friend who decided to leave RIFT after the hellaciously disturbing chat channel behaviors that have been ongoing on our shard and in PVP with other shards. It is completely his choice to leave the game of RIFT - because he chooses not to pay money to be subjected to the kind of crap that unforunately exists. But why must it exist? "Rude" has always existed in MMOs of my experience - whatcha gonna do when everyone's a Big Man Behind the Keyboard? But when did the community decide that "Disgustingly foul-mouthed crude what-kind-of-sicko-are-you?" talk is perfectly acceptable?

People are absolutely allowed to turn the other cheek or bury their heads in the sand on this behavior (and obviously participate, considering the large scale of this), but you can not deny that there is a population of gamers who will sub to RIFT and then unsub, never to return because of what they are exposed to here in the chat channels. So, is what Seebs shared as a concern really so wrong? Is it a good business decision to shrink the population target down from a broader base it could enjoy if there had been at least some kind of, any kind of, minimal expectations of decency in general channels?

Bleh... It's always a sorry day to lose a good guildmate. I just hated the reason for it.

Thank you for letting me chime in...

There's a difference between being rude and being hateful like a racist.

there's rude people in every aspect of life, just have to deal with it....but stuff like racism etc has no place in this game.

Hey folks,

Just dropping in a reminder to please ensure your posts are on topic, civil and constructive. We know this is a subject you all're passionate about, but please don't resort to insulting or demeaning comments about others.

Thanks!!

Post RIFT 2.1 Hotfix #2 - 8:00am PST 1/9/13 [NA] - 2:00am GMT 10/1/13 [EU]

** Addressing the Bots **

While we were out for the holidays, there was a marked rise in both fishing and onslaught farming bots. We know that the vast majority of you are responsible, upstanding, and incredibly attractive Telaran citizens, but we do need to take a moment to remind everyone that automating play is a violation of the terms of service that will be acted upon.

As of today, we’ve already shut down a few thousand accounts over the recent rise in fishing botting, and we’ve begun removing gains from others in places of extreme bot use. A good number of these botters were brought in, as is often the case, on stolen credit cards and fraudulent Rift purchases.

That said, some folks do innocently use keyboard-assistance software while they’re at their computer. We’ve gone out of our way to make sure that differently-abled gamers are able to use the assist software that they need.

Unfortunately, for the next week or two, until the bot situation gets back under control, use of this software may intentionally be randomly unreliable, up to causing random disconnects. We ask that you please refrain from using keyboard automation software in the meanwhile.

For those who have no choice but to use this software due to a physical disability, we would like to make sure you’re still able to play. Drop a ticket to our CS staff if this temporary change does prevent you from playing entirely and we’ll see what we can do to remedy the situation for you.

As for onslaught botting, that will be handled via a more creative content solution that is currently in development, in a coming hotfix.

Once that solution is out in the wild, we’ll look into restoring standard functionality of assistance software.

Thanks for your reports and your patience!

- The RIFT Development Team
    Babysteps...

Telaran

Default State of the game

Why not just add a chat channel called /rude where people who chose could say whatever they wanted. Kind of like a red light district.

Quote Originally Posted by Liltizzy View Post
    I read Seebs' post this morning before work and although I was a +1 on the concern of the state of people's behavior/community in this game, I had no intent to reply. Yes, on my shard the chat channels have gotten MUCH worse in recent months but I have sadly surrendered to the other alternatives suggested in this thread of shrinking the window down, not looking at it, /ignore Nightly-Drunken/Psycho Ranter, etc.

However, tonight I lost a guildie friend who decided to leave RIFT after the hellaciously disturbing chat channel behaviors that have been ongoing on our shard and in PVP with other shards. It is completely his choice to leave the game of RIFT - because he chooses not to pay money to be subjected to the kind of crap that unforunately exists. But why must it exist? "Rude" has always existed in MMOs of my experience - whatcha gonna do when everyone's a Big Man Behind the Keyboard? But when did the community decide that "Disgustingly foul-mouthed crude what-kind-of-sicko-are-you?" talk is perfectly acceptable?

People are absolutely allowed to turn the other cheek or bury their heads in the sand on this behavior (and obviously participate, considering the large scale of this), but you can not deny that there is a population of gamers who will sub to RIFT and then unsub, never to return because of what they are exposed to here in the chat channels. So, is what Seebs shared as a concern really so wrong? Is it a good business decision to shrink the population target down from a broader base it could enjoy if there had been at least some kind of, any kind of, minimal expectations of decency in general channels?

Bleh... It's always a sorry day to lose a good guildmate. I just hated the reason for it.

Thank you for letting me chime in...
    I'm fairly certain everyone wants to be treated with kindness and that feeling would be mutual. However, there are those who possibly get off to this or just wish everyone else was as miserable as they are. There are always people like this in RL which you can somehow avoid. That being said, this attitude is popular in all form of gaming, MMORPGs aren't the exception to the rule.

Honestly, if you can't ignore them, put the Lv.60 chat in a seperate tab and glance at it every now and then. It's what I did and I'm quite happy.
    Part of Trinity. "Come for Trunks, stay for Trunks."

That's certainly something! It also gives us the key information that it's a matter of policy that botting is not intended to be allowed. I wonder whether they'll do anything about what people already got through botting...
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    There's a difference between being rude and being hateful like a racist.

there's rude people in every aspect of life, just have to deal with it....but stuff like racism etc has no place in this game.
    I just want to let you and other people reading this know, that there is a big difference between being racist vs. being bigoted or prejudiced. Not a slam on anyone, but a lot of times the word 'racist' is so often misused as to sometimes be an unfair characterization on what someone is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyn View Post
    Hey folks,

Just dropping in a reminder to please ensure your posts are on topic, civil and constructive. We know this is a subject you all're passionate about, but please don't resort to insulting or demeaning comments about others.

Thanks!!
    But you know what I said is the raw truth of the matter - More players prefer light to no moderation versus those that want a pristine gaming environment. You'd lose more subscribers than you'd gain by enforcing the ToS to the letter.

But yes, I was being mildly obnoxious to drive the point home.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Quote Originally Posted by Burnlogic View Post
    The fish botting is pathetic. I don't fish, but it amuses me to hear a friend making hundreds of plat every couple days fishing while wanking in another room.

Doubly pathetic is the auto-clicker "leveling bots" being used.
    Trion, do you even SEE what's happening at the Arjuros portal's nearest barrier onslaught?

It's a hillside filled with AFK auto-click app spammers, many of them in their lvl 40s.

Does that really look like something you want to be happening in your game?
    Do you even have people on staff any more that get angry at that sort of thing, that care about that type of "gameplay" happening?

Is this really how you want players to be engaging with your game now?
    Has the Rift team lost its most passionate and "legit" members in the recent firings?

C'mon guys. Do it for pride. Do it because it's the right thing to do.
    Fix the botting, fix the design such that it no longer encourages botting.
    Show some respect for the game, for the community... for yourselves.

I realize Rift is now on a trajectory towards full free-to-play, or max level "Lite" with limitations, and I understand Trion has to make these difficult decisions (even monolithic multi-billion entities like EA/BioWare made such a decision), but don't drag Rift through the mud in the process, OK?

Get this sh!t sorted out.
    MMO communities make a lot of noise, even with smaller games.
    Don't self-destruct and sabotage Trion's reputation in the process.

You will effectively close the door on the Red Door Initiative by doing so.
    Scott, remember your past: You know all of this too well. Take some control back.
    Phew. It's nice to have one's emotional outburst fully addressed by the devs merely a day later. Now I feel less... irrational. More justified. And pleased that it is, in fact, something the team really cares about. Cheers. Oh -- and suck it, botters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    But you know what I said is the raw truth of the matter - More players prefer light to no moderation versus those that want a pristine gaming environment.
    I certainly haven't advocated for a "pristine" gaming environment.

I have never, ever, reported a user simply because a word they used was "a swear word" or whatever. Not once. I don't report people for being snarky, either. I report people only if:

1. They're extremely hostile; like, "blah blah and die" type comments. I will report this in open channels pretty quickly, and eventually if it's really persistent in non-open channels.
    2. They're way-over-the-line with racist, sexist, anti-gay, or similar sentiments. I don't report people for a single sorta borderline remark, but if someone emits a long rant about how more women should be sexually assaulted so they learn their place, or something like that? Yeah, that gets reported.
    3. ... I am sure there must be something else, but I can't think of any right now.

Seriously, I'm not asking for "pristine". I can think of maybe three people tops that would ever have gotten anything past a polite warning if I were the Absolute Arbiter Of Chat in Rift. And only one that I think has unambiguously earned a ban. One.

The fact is, the number of people who not only prefer "no moderation", but would leave if there were any at all, is very very small, and consists almost entirely of serial harassers. The rest of us, dogmatic though we may be about free speech, will tend to tolerate a certain amount of community policing in public channels in a game.

I think there's a world of difference between "how about we don't have long profanity-laden screeds using the n-word" and "you said something that implied that sometimes people have sex, I'm reporting you!"
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Outstanding post Seebs, thank you.
    "Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it" - Ghandi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast