+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Are all bots against TOS?

Telaran

Default Are all bots against TOS?

I see a ton of fishing bots and they are not getting banned, I did a search and saw this.

Yes, you can run this script endlessly though it may time out or stop working on its own now and then. If that happened you'd get logged out as if you went afk.

This is NOT illegal in the game if you "monitor" the script. Ie you are present. If you leave this script going for hours on end you may indeed find yourself speaking to a GM and/or get a banned account. It's a choice that YOU make on what you do with this thing. So be wise and don't abuse it

So can these people run this script while watching the screen, is that why they are not getting banned?
    Hey look, I'm a marksman

Monitored or not, it is illegal in most MMOs to Bot. The reason why is scripts can generally execute hundreds of commands per second (if not thousands). This keeps them on task and active. IE, if someone runs past a target area, every 50 milliseconds the script might try and retarget the area to check if the obstruction is cleared. Things like that.

Now, the reason why this is bad is because everything the script does goes to the server and even in the cases where an action can't be permitted, the server still has to process each and every instruction and validate them. This makes 1 BOT use up the same resources as 100 or more actual players for every BOT on the server. Back in 2009 when EVE initiated its anti-bot script and banned a large swath of them, they reduced server load by almost 40% by removing only a few thousand players (out of the 200k or so players, they banned less than 3% and saved 40% in process bandwidth)

That's why botting is bad. Fairness aside, BOTs kill servers because they use an inordinate amount of server resources. That is also how most BOTs are banned. GMs can see how a player's client interacts with the server. It's very easy to identify between a scripter/botter and a player. One of them can send commands to the server several hundred times per second... the other one can't. One gets banned, the other one doesn't.

The reason why nobody is getting banned these days is because Trion probably laid off most of their level 1 in-game CSR staff. They likely kept a few of the tier 2 and above staff for continuity, but I haven't actually seen any resolution on over a dozen petitions I've sent in about botters and griefers. I just think Trion is incapable of handling basic customer service issues because they probably laid off most of their CSR staff. That's usually the first thing that gets the axe in tech companies when they do lay offs.
    Last edited by Laeris; 12-30-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Monitored or not, it is illegal in most MMOs to Bot. The reason why is scripts can generally execute hundreds of commands per second (if not thousands). This keeps them on task and active. IE, if someone runs past a target area, every 50 milliseconds the script might try and retarget the area to check if the obstruction is cleared. Things like that.

Now, the reason why this is bad is because everything the script does goes to the server and even in the cases where an action can't be permitted, the server still has to process each and every instruction and validate them. This makes 1 BOT use up the same resources as 100 or more actual players for every BOT on the server. Back in 2009 when EVE initiated its anti-bot script and banned a large swath of them, they reduced server load by almost 40% by removing only a few thousand players (out of the 200k or so players, they banned less than 3% and saved 40% in process bandwidth)

That's why botting is bad. Fairness aside, BOTs kill servers because they use an inordinate amount of server resources. That is also how most BOTs are banned. GMs can see how a player's client interacts with the server. It's very easy to identify between a scripter/botter and a player. One of them can send commands to the server several hundred times per second... the other one can't. One gets banned, the other one doesn't.
    An objective and unbiased explanation here. I never saw it in this light before.
    Last edited by FreddyThump; 12-30-2012 at 02:24 PM.

That being said, I don't know what Trion's policy is on BOTs. I mean, Elrar has said that botting is bad and to not do it. On the other hand, that's words... and I can point to some Shimmersand BOTs that have been online 24/7 for the past month... and when I say "some," I mean there's a pack of about 40 of them that are always there every minute of every day.

So, Elrar says BOTs are bad. Trion on the other hand.... they either have no manpower to fix it or they internally allow it because the BOTs are most certainly not getting suspended or banned. They're even multiplying with packs of 10-15 or more level 6s in spots all over Shimmersand and elsewhere.

By allowing this, they're damaging the quality of gameplay for the rest of us by allowing them to clog up the server bandwidth with their scripts and its destroying the in-game economy.

Yes bots are illegal.

No trion won't ban them.

They choose to look the other way, because after all..the person who owns the account is paying a sub fee.

sub fee= money in a game that needs it.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

I reiterate my previous suggestion: Trion should drop a few elite mobs in the middle of every area where botters are congregating. Tough to go AFK when your little bot is going to get wrecked every 5 minutes by a voracious pack of nasties.

Telaran

The most specific I've seen a staff member get regarding this issue is that "unattended gameplay" is botting, which implies that if you're at or near the keyboard you're welcome to do what you please. There are lots of grey areas so it's difficult to say. Some of the stances Trion takes on botting seem to contradict each other, so nobody is completely sure.

All it takes is to read the TOS. This is the very first thing in it

You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:
    1. use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, modifications (mods) or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the Game experience;
    Now, that is pretty clear. Automation software is against the TOS full stop/period.

There are no provisos about being at your computer or not, if it automates the game then it's a bot and against the TOS.

Pretty cut and dried.

http://trionworlds.com/en/legal/terms-of-use/

More people need to actually read that thing they just click through when they start a new game/program/website

In some cases, like with farcebook, what you give up can be frightening.
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
    འགྲོ་རྣམས་བྱང་ཆུབ་ཐོབ་ཕྱིར་དུ། །

Quote Originally Posted by Kithiel View Post
    I reiterate my previous suggestion: Trion should drop a few elite mobs in the middle of every area where botters are congregating. Tough to go AFK when your little bot is going to get wrecked every 5 minutes by a voracious pack of nasties.
    That just punishes someone who was genuinely playing and needed a toilet/wife break for a few minutes. Please stop making suggestions that could ever by accident hurt a genuine player.
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Telaran

What is meant by "modifying the game experiance".
    Using 3rd party programs / hacks etc is only illegal if it does the above.

The game experience is - when fishing - clicking the fishing icon, casting by pressing your mouse, waiting until a fish bites, reeling it in!

If you automate that in any manner, even without modifying a thing, you broke the rules. If you are watching your screen or not.
    Last edited by Shibi; 12-30-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibi View Post
    That just punishes someone who was genuinely playing and needed a toilet/wife break for a few minutes. Please stop making suggestions that could ever by accident hurt a genuine player.
    That wasn't my intention. The solution to this is very simple, just have the mobs path near the shore line but leave a "safe" area off to the side nearby. A spot where normal players can park for 10 minutes without getting mauled but botters can't reach the water. Sheesh, so negative!

Yes, they are against the ToS. However, history has shown that Trion is either unable or unwilling to do anything about bots and exploits.

Actually, that's not entirely true. They have shown that they are willing to make changes that negatively affect players that didn't use the bot/exploit. The most recent example being the reduction in notoriety for the rare fish turn-ins.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Now, the reason why this is bad is because everything the script does goes to the server and even in the cases where an action can't be permitted, the server still has to process each and every instruction and validate them. This makes 1 BOT use up the same resources as 100 or more actual players for every BOT on the server. Back in 2009 when EVE initiated its anti-bot script and banned a large swath of them, they reduced server load by almost 40% by removing only a few thousand players (out of the 200k or so players, they banned less than 3% and saved 40% in process bandwidth).
    The game client should prevent non-human levels of interaction from occurring in the first place. If it's getting hundreds or thousands of commands per second, then it certainly shouldn't forward those to the server. If users manage to bypass the client and spoof requests to the server, then you have bigger problems than botters.
    <Have access to Photoshop?>---No---[Use very old guild signature that no one will understand]

A lot of the fishing bots I've seen in Storm Legion are level 5 or lower, out by Cape Jule, fishing away. Can free accounts to level 20 max out fishing, or at least, get to Grandmaster?
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast