+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58

Thread: Soul Identification

  1. #1
    Telaran Blamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    60

    Question Soul Identification

    Greetings,

    I am just curious about how we will identify which souls people are spec'd in.

    For example: A group is looking for a tank. Group leader invites a warrior to the group. First question will be: How are you spec'ed? If he's a beastmaster, he probably will not be as good as a paladin for tanking or similar tanking souls. Same will go for healers. A heavily spec'ed inquisitor will not heal as well as a sentinel so on and so for. So...

    Will there be an easy way to see how people are spec'ed without the first question being: What are your souls? How are you spec'ed?

    It would be really handy if the mouse over tool tip display's the soul most heavily spec'ed into. I am not suggesting seeing other people's build easily (as some are extremely touchy about it for some reason). I am all for diverse classes, but I also want it easy to see what others can bring to a group.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohplax View Post
    Greetings,

    I am just curious about how we will identify which souls people are spec'd in.

    For example: A group is looking for a tank. Group leader invites a warrior to the group. First question will be: How are you spec'ed? If he's a beastmaster, he probably will not be as good as a paladin for tanking or similar tanking souls. Same will go for healers. A heavily spec'ed inquisitor will not heal as well as a sentinel so on and so for. So...

    Will there be an easy way to see how people are spec'ed without the first question being: What are your souls? How are you spec'ed?

    It would be really handy if the mouse over tool tip display's the soul most heavily spec'ed into. I am not suggesting seeing other people's build easily (as some are extremely touchy about it for some reason). I am all for diverse classes, but I also want it easy to see what others can bring to a group.

    Thank you!
    Yet another reason to Never PuG

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara Kuldorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    This kind of touches on a point I was asking in this thread: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...acter-identity

    I dont have a good answer other than the simple fact apparently all classes can fill in each role to a degree, so really its not supposed to be needed to know what someone has. You just ask a class to step up for tanking and apparently nearly any class can fill that role.

    Still dont know how I feel about that... but i have huge reservations.

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser Scythras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    319

    Default

    I don't think you'll be able to tell by looking (which I like, especially for PvP, adds a bit of mystery) so you'll just have to ask. But the beauty of this game is, you can have up to 4 different soul loadouts, so even if the warrior is a beastmaster, it takes 2 seconds and costs nothing to switch to a tank spec. Problem solved. I expect every warrior to have at least ONE tank loadout out of their 4 available specs.

    Then again, in every video I've seen of the beastmaster, he's wearing some stupid bear hat so that should be a dead giveaway.

  5. #5
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    614

    Default

    I was wondering the same thing. And even if you know their three soul it doesn't mean they specced in any of them. I think it's just going to have to come down to asking for a type (tank, healer, DPS, buffer orr CC). With the amount of combinations there are there is no way of knowing what a person is specced for at the time.

  6. #6
    Plane Walker Threather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    376

    Default

    This is a non-issue as you can change soul combinations on the fly.

  7. #7
    Telaran Blamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuldorn View Post
    This kind of touches on a point I was asking in this thread: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...acter-identity

    I dont have a good answer other than the simple fact apparently all classes can fill in each role to a degree, so really its not supposed to be needed to know what someone has. You just ask a class to step up for tanking and apparently nearly any class can fill that role.

    Still dont know how I feel about that... but i have huge reservations.
    Ah sorry. I did a forum search for 'identify' and 'identification' but not 'identity'. I would have posted in there otherwise!


    As to switching souls setups easily, I would still like to see what people have setup. A dps warrior switching over to his tank setup would still make me wonder. But I see the validity of the system they are trying to implement. I guess it's just another reason to avoid PuG's and find trustworthy people to play with at all times. PuG'ing can be fun, but I see it as a total hassel more than ever in this game.

  8. #8
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threather View Post
    This is a non-issue as you can change soul combinations on the fly.
    Sure it is an issue. Just because someone has access to CC abilities doesn't mean they know how to play a CC class? Same thing with tanking or healing.

    People are getting lost in the whole "You can be anything you want, fill any roll at any time" hype. The bottom line is a good CC player is learned and I'm not planning on going into a group with a guy who just specced for CC but never did it.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser Scythras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konji View Post
    Sure it is an issue. Just because someone has access to CC abilities doesn't mean they know how to play a CC class? Same thing with tanking or healing.

    People are getting lost in the whole "You can be anything you want, fill any roll at any time" hype. The bottom line is a good CC player is learned and I'm not planning on going into a group with a guy who just specced for CC but never did it.
    Yes, there are a lot of bad players out there, but this is probably not going to be a first MMO for a lot of people. I'm sure in a group of 5 you'll find ONE person who is a decent enough tank or CC class to run though an instance with. I doubt this game is going to be the next WoW, full of 12 year old kids who only play because some kid in their class told them it was cool or they saw some commercial on TV with some old black dude with a mohawk and begged their mommy to buy it for them.

  10. #10
    Plane Walker Threather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Interestingly enough, I haven't heard mention of a CC class for any of the callings. I could be wrong; but I see your point.

  11. #11
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scythras View Post
    Yes, there are a lot of bad players out there, but this is probably not going to be a first MMO for a lot of people. I'm sure in a group of 5 you'll find ONE person who is a decent enough tank or CC class to run though an instance with. I doubt this game is going to be the next WoW, full of 12 year old kids who only play because some kid in their class told them it was cool or they saw some commercial on TV with some old black dude with a mohawk and begged their mommy to buy it for them.
    Every game has good and bad players and I agree in a 5 man group you should be able to find someone who can tank, heal or CC. But what if they are the same guy?


    Quote Originally Posted by Threather View Post
    Interestingly enough, I haven't heard mention of a CC class for any of the callings. I could be wrong; but I see your point.
    Yeah I'm guessing this is going to be under the mage souls we haven't seen yet. I'm hoping this game has a need for CC.

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser Scythras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threather View Post
    Interestingly enough, I haven't heard mention of a CC class for any of the callings. I could be wrong; but I see your point.
    Only one I've heard of is the aptly named Dominator for the mage calling. I believe there is one in the warrior calling as well but it escapes me at the moment. Warlord or Paragon perhaps, but that is speculation.

  13. #13
    Plane Walker Threather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scythras View Post
    Only one I've heard of is the aptly named Dominator for the mage calling. I believe there is one in the warrior calling as well but it escapes me at the moment. Warlord or Paragon perhaps, but that is speculation.
    My understanding of the Warlord is a heavy buff/support class.

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser Scythras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threather View Post
    My understanding of the Warlord is a heavy buff/support class.
    Most likely then. Also, it depends on how loose of a term CC is to you. From what I've seen there is more than one rogue class who can disable or sap from stealth. There are also classes who can root, and it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to assume that the Storm Caller "ice mage" would have some sort of freezing CC ability.

  15. #15
    Telaran Blamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Depending on how much gear affects how well people do, a dps tank switching over his souls to a tanking setup that he might not play too often using gear spec'ed for dps could/will have a much harder time.

    Multiple soul combination's probably will be a gearing nightmare for gear dependent classes. As warriors have been such a class in virtually every MMO in the past 10 years, I would suffice to say that they probably will be here as well. So not only will we see many soul combos but also much gear farming, which is not easy for people out of an organised guild. Again, avoid PuG's in this game, or stick to one soul setup and gear for it and know your role I guess. Somewhat against the whole soul-switch-on-the-fly gimmick in the first place or?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts