+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Soul Identification

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohplax View Post
    I think it's great that you know how to play, games certainly need more knowledgeable players. While this is an open discussion, I can't but help to think that you are thinking that I am posting directly at you which is furthest from the truth.

Again, while it's obvious that some people are touchy about their specs, I think it's more useful then not to be able to see more specifically how someone is spec'ed out. I would prefer to see 'Level 40 Inquisitor' than a 'Level 40 Cleric'.
    Because it's useless information. All you know is that I happen to have an Inquisitor build at the moment you checked. I could just as easily switch to a Sentinel build once I join the group, which is at the opposite end of the cleric spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Taryth View Post
    No . . .it's more likely they want to know how your class will fit in with the group. I like to know what class the tank and healer are in most groups in any given MMO that I've played. It's just nice to know what to expect, and to know how to best complement them.

People get so paranoid, geez.
    It's not paranoia. I've seen all of this, and worse, on a daily basis, in more than one game.

No . . .it's more likely they want to know how your class will fit in with the group. I like to know what class the tank and healer are in most groups in any given MMO that I've played. It's just nice to know what to expect, and to know how to best complement them.

People get so paranoid, geez.
    Again, checking the build I am using outside of a group does not convey this information. My solo build may very well have nothing in common with my group build. The only way you are going to know what I am capable of is to ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Yet another reason to Never PuG
    Its this same attitude why MMO's aren't about community anymore. Some of my greatest times in games were meeting new people in Pugs. I suppose the WoW generation made "PUG" an ugly word.

For shame...

Champion

Who said I'd inspect you outside of group?

In all the games I've experienced, one can only inspect someone standing very close by. Meaning I'd be inspecting your build once you got there. Again- I don't like to know classes to exclude, I just want to know what to expect and how I can best augment or utilize your skill set. The only situation in which "classism" usually comes into play is raid game. If a class is so incredibly useless that in standard PuG-able content it is unacceptable, the game has a MUCH larger concern at hand.

There's no rational reason to disallow the ability to at least see what souls a character has "equipped." It's not a big deal, you wont be hanged for playing a Ranger

BTW- you can edit your posts instead of responding multiple times to inflate your post count

Plane Touched

if a rouge can tank then the game is going to be easy. you can probly get to max level with any build or by not spending any points into and soul.you could try to gimp your self with a bad soul combo and do fine.

BTW- you can edit your posts instead of responding multiple times to inflate your post count
    If I was in any way worried about about my post count, I would have a couple thousand by now.

As is, my average is only 4.79 per day, but then, you probably don't check things like that before leveling accusations do you?

Did you look at my prior posts? If you did, you would notice that I edit them all the time, but again, its easier to just level an accusation than actually checking.

I double posted, once, by accident. Both of the points I made are still valid, and your attempt at accusing me of padding my post count does nothing to change that. The only reason people are going to want to inspect another persons souls is because they are looking for a reason to exclude individuals, based solely upon currently active build.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 09-18-2010 at 01:51 PM.

I double post sometimes simply because I didn't learn to do multiple quotes until recently. I'm a carpenter not a code monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    Because it's useless information. All you know is that I happen to have an Inquisitor build at the moment you checked. I could just as easily switch to a Sentinel build once I join the group, which is at the opposite end of the cleric spectrum.
    It is not useless information at all to me and apparently not so some others in this thread at all. Luckily for most of us we will never have to group with you because, besides being sensitive of 'classism', you seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

Regardless, if the souls are as planned out as they say they are and I personally hope they are, then I guess it would not be a needed feature as different builds can get the job done. Now only if open beta would roll around!!!!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Yet another reason to Never PuG
    If you never pug then you never meet new people. And how do you group in a brand new game, bring a group from the last game you played? No you group with people you dont know, then you get to know them.

Anyway to the point of the thread, I think you have to judge people by how well they perform their role not just how you think they should be specced. If someone hires on as a healer then if he keeps everyone alive thats all that matters right?
    Last edited by Svann; 09-19-2010 at 08:33 PM.

One of the good points to the Rift class implimentation is that instead of focusing on the actual class of a player, you will find yourself asking "how GOOD is this player".

Since players can more easily change their "class", what you really want to know is how skilled / talented / knowledgeable / aware is that player. Your reputation will mean more, since your role might change from group to group.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ohplax View Post
    Ah sorry. I did a forum search for 'identify' and 'identification' but not 'identity'. I would have posted in there otherwise!

As to switching souls setups easily, I would still like to see what people have setup. A dps warrior switching over to his tank setup would still make me wonder. But I see the validity of the system they are trying to implement. I guess it's just another reason to avoid PuG's and find trustworthy people to play with at all times. PuG'ing can be fun, but I see it as a total hassel more than ever in this game.
    Have to agree there. I often wonder how the heavy instancing and class system will affect the game's social dynamics. So far, barring PvP, it seems like the only times people will interact with each other is at Rift events, and that is not guaranteed either. Not having a way to easily identify people with "idiot builds" is just going to make pugging worse than ever. On the other, I might not want people identifying and copying my totally awesome builds! So I'm torn, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuldorn View Post
    This kind of touches on a point I was asking in this thread: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...acter-identity

I dont have a good answer other than the simple fact apparently all classes can fill in each role to a degree, so really its not supposed to be needed to know what someone has. You just ask a class to step up for tanking and apparently nearly any class can fill that role.

Still dont know how I feel about that... but i have huge reservations.
    I actually like that very much... I never liked the concept of Tank/Dps/Healer anyways...

shoot... I always wanted to make a warrior with good DPS that doesn't die as quick as a rogue,
    but then he wouldn't be the parties "meat shield"...
    --------------------boom chicka wah waaaw--------------------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4