+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58

Thread: Soul Identification

  1. #16
    Plane Walker Threather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohplax View Post
    Depending on how much gear affects how well people do, a dps tank switching over his souls to a tanking setup that he might not play too often using gear spec'ed for dps could/will have a much harder time.

    Multiple soul combination's probably will be a gearing nightmare for gear dependent classes. As warriors have been such a class in virtually every MMO in the past 10 years, I would suffice to say that they probably will be here as well. So not only will we see many soul combos but also much gear farming, which is not easy for people out of an organised guild. Again, avoid PuG's in this game, or stick to one soul setup and gear for it and know your role I guess. Somewhat against the whole soul-switch-on-the-fly gimmick in the first place or?
    I have a feeling that gear will play little issue with the exception of weapon choice. Based on some information about the Shaman class which was posted recently, it looks like callings will have different types of stat conversions; for example when a Shaman courage spell is active, they get a Strength bonus that is derived from their Wisdom stat.

    To be honest, in order to pull this off, gear has to play little role in stat distribution.

  2. #17
    Rift Chaser Scythras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohplax View Post
    Depending on how much gear affects how well people do, a dps tank switching over his souls to a tanking setup that he might not play too often using gear spec'ed for dps could/will have a much harder time.

    Multiple soul combination's probably will be a gearing nightmare for gear dependent classes. As warriors have been such a class in virtually every MMO in the past 10 years, I would suffice to say that they probably will be here as well. So not only will we see many soul combos but also much gear farming, which is not easy for people out of an organised guild. Again, avoid PuG's in this game, or stick to one soul setup and gear for it and know your role I guess. Somewhat against the whole soul-switch-on-the-fly gimmick in the first place or?
    I covered this a bit in the stats thread. I can't speak for every soul, but many will have self buffs that convert a certain stat into another stat that would be better for another soul. For example, the shaman who is a melee physical DPS cleric has multiple skills that convert a large percentage of his wisdom into strength and dexterity, meaning he can technically be wearing all wisdom (ie. healing) gear and still have a lot of strength and dexterity to DPS with. This means he can also take a second soul focused towards healing and still do a good amount of healing because all of his gear is in fact wisdom/healing gear.

    I'm sure they will do this for a lot of the other souls as well. It's much easier to have buffs and passives automatically convert your stats for you than worrying about getting 3 completely different full sets of gear for the same character. I'm sure there will be some switching of gear but I don't think it will be to the extent than you are worrying about. They will probably have some skill for tanks that converts their armor into strength or vice versa.

  3. #18
    Telaran Blamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Excellent news Scythras and Threather. Thank you for restoring a bit of faith!

  4. #19
    Rift Master armengar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threather View Post
    This is a non-issue as you can change soul combinations on the fly.
    this, people should be able to change to fit a situation if needed, the question is more "if willling to switch"

  5. #20
    Rift Chaser Scythras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by armengar View Post
    this, people should be able to change to fit a situation if needed, the question is more "if willling to switch"
    If they aren't then kick them out of the group. Say "oh, well we need a tank and if you aren't going to be one then we'll get someone else, have a nice day" BOOT.

  6. #21
    Champion of Telara Selene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Regarding PuGs...Honestly, I think this might be one of the main reasons Trion chose to put in such a light death penalty. They really want people to experiment with different builds, try unique combinations, and figure out what works themselves. If death doesn't mean all that much, what is there to lose except your time?

    Who knows how it'll work out in practice but I wouldn't be afraid of PuGs here. Just ask for what role people plan on filling...if that doesn't work out, try again.

  7. #22
    Rift Chaser Daft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    345

    Default

    I am pretty sure the LFG chat will be filled with looking for tank, healer,and so on. But with the 4 roles ( I think that is how many you can have) it would be probably easy for a Warrior to switch roles on the fly. Though with the Riftstalker soul for rogues, they can tank single targets pretty well. Most likely you will be able to see their spec by just right clicking their character, though I don't know how they will do it through chat (maybe just asking them or being able to right click their name). I think this goes well for instances, but raids and such would most likely be done by guilds and people will probably know each other by their play style. Overall I don't think this will be a big issue though I do see a lot of confusion trying to find that right player with all the combinations that one player can do.

  8. #23
    Plane Walker Perros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    367

    Default

    I am not worried, at least not more than in any other game.

    There are competent players and there are less competent players. The competent players will not only know how to play a tank when they say they are a tank they will also know which gear and soul combination to select. The are always a few who are ineffective, so it doesn't really matter which soul they pick.

  9. #24
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perros View Post
    I am not worried, at least not more than in any other game.

    There are competent players and there are less competent players. The competent players will not only know how to play a tank when they say they are a tank they will also know which gear and soul combination to select. The are always a few who are ineffective, so it doesn't really matter which soul they pick.
    was going to write the same.
    i dont care what spec he use as long as he do a good job.

  10. #25
    Shield of Telara Caracarn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threather View Post
    This is a non-issue as you can change soul combinations on the fly.
    This is not entirely true. We will be able to save 3-4 specs and change them out of combat. So every player will have to have at least 1 spec available that will bring in the core competence of his calling. A tank with 3-4 damage, experimental and fun builds will still not be helpful for a dungeon group.
    ELDER of TELARA

    Proud member of NEMESIS

  11. #26
    Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Overthere
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohplax View Post
    Greetings,

    I am just curious about how we will identify which souls people are spec'd in.

    For example: A group is looking for a tank. Group leader invites a warrior to the group. First question will be: How are you spec'ed? If he's a beastmaster, he probably will not be as good as a paladin for tanking or similar tanking souls. Same will go for healers. A heavily spec'ed inquisitor will not heal as well as a sentinel so on and so for. So...

    Will there be an easy way to see how people are spec'ed without the first question being: What are your souls? How are you spec'ed?

    It would be really handy if the mouse over tool tip display's the soul most heavily spec'ed into. I am not suggesting seeing other people's build easily (as some are extremely touchy about it for some reason). I am all for diverse classes, but I also want it easy to see what others can bring to a group.

    Thank you!
    I am very particular about you knowing which souls I am spec'ed in without you talking to me first.

    If you want this information, ask me, I will tell you. Otherwise, you will just have to wait until I start casting.

    The only reason someone is going to want to know my souls after I tell them which role I am prepared to fill is if they are looking for a reason to exclude me. Not only that, but they are looking to exclude me based upon my currently active build, regardless of what else I may have available.

    Heavens forbid the solo build I have active when you inspect me does not conform to your grouping expectations.

  12. #27
    Telaran Blamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    I am very particular about you knowing which souls I am spec'ed in without you talking to me first.

    If you want this information, ask me, I will tell you. Otherwise, you will just have to wait until I start casting.

    The only reason someone is going to want to know my souls after I tell them which role I am prepared to fill is if they are looking for a reason to exclude me. Not only that, but they are looking to exclude me based upon my currently active build, regardless of what else I may have available.

    Heavens forbid the solo build I have active when you inspect me does not conform to your grouping expectations.
    This pretty much proves my point of what a pain it will be to start every group with 'what are you spec'ed?'. You are correct, it is for limiting purposes. It really comes down to wasting people's time. Why waste time asking how they are spec'ed? Why waste time wiping or making encounters longer to babysit someone's experimental I want to be different build? Fact is there are always builds that do things better and more efficiently.

    It's also a learning thing. People who spend 90% of the time with one setup then jumping to another to fill a role will not be as adept at that role as someone who plays it regularly. With 8 souls per class I would bet that while people will play around with different soul combo's, most will stick to 1 or 2.

  13. #28
    Sword of Telara CyclopsSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threather View Post
    This is a non-issue as you can change soul combinations on the fly.
    Only! If all players have equal access to all souls. If they are random drops and not tradeable it could be quite some time before you have all 8 souls available to you.

    For instance right at the start is that Cleric calling a Purifier with HoT's or a Sentiel with direct Heals? It WILL matter a lot.

  14. #29
    Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Overthere
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohplax View Post
    This pretty much proves my point of what a pain it will be to start every group with 'what are you spec'ed?'. You are correct, it is for limiting purposes. It really comes down to wasting people's time. Why waste time asking how they are spec'ed? Why waste time wiping or making encounters longer to babysit someone's experimental I want to be different build? Fact is there are always builds that do things better and more efficiently.

    It's also a learning thing. People who spend 90% of the time with one setup then jumping to another to fill a role will not be as adept at that role as someone who plays it regularly. With 8 souls per class I would bet that while people will play around with different soul combo's, most will stick to 1 or 2.
    Because your judging me based upon the build I happen to be wearing while solo, which may have no bearing on what I intend you use while actually in a group.

    Why the h3ll would I want to wear a glass cannon build while running across the countryside to get to a dungeon? It would make more sense to use a lower dps, more survivable build, one where I can simply take a few hits as I run past the outdoor mobs, and then change to glass cannon mode before we start.

    Not sufficiently adept because I'm changing soles? How do you know what my skills are? You are making the assumption that since I am wearing a solo build while LFG that I spend most of my time solo and don't know how to play a group build? No, what it means is, I'm not going to sit around and twiddle my thumbs just because I'm alone. I'm going to go do something constructive.

    Personally, I have years of experience playing in every imaginable role. Puller, CC, healer, tank, melee dps, magic dps, pet classes, kiting, I've done them all.. Of course, the only possible way your going to know how good I am at my role is to play with me, inspecting my solo build won't convey that information.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 09-17-2010 at 03:17 AM.

  15. #30
    Telaran Balagar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Another important factor is equipment and equipment that is 'soul-specific' (I'm sure this will happen). I'd hate running through a dungeon and the Tank has to change to a Soul he has barely played and all of a sudden the group falls to pieces because the gear he has for that build is non-existent.

    I'm curious to know how equipment or loot drops look.
    Meat Shield of Recursion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts