Closed Thread

Thread: Lag Problems

Default Lag Problems

There always been a bit of lag at end events but today its been astoundingly bad.

In Conquest we've been trying to take an opposition extractor down and the people that are attacking it attacks have practically come to a grinding alt, yet I seen a coupe of the opposition riding near us at normal speed. Also on the Focus tonight it took us 10 minutes to get 4 down and just start on the 5th when we were timed out and the game finished.
    Also I have been summoned to a event boss and the screen either frozen or the lags been that bad I been unable to target the boss. OK I get rewards as I have been doing the parts prior to it but if your killing the 10th rift at the far side of the map and you cant ride to the boss at the other side in time and you take a banner summon you can miss the achievement for killing that boss.

Shadowlander

Suprised to not see more people complaining about this. Starting to wonder if it is an issue based on location or what.

I've had intermittant lag issues for weeks now. However, since the fae yule event was switched on, my activation lag has increased to the point where its actually quite visible and comes close to getting me killed every time I pull more than one mob.

I've even seen something simple like mounting up take up to 10 seconds to actually happen.

Every time i mention this to anyone in guild, the response I get is "oh, I thought it was just me". Everyone is experiencing it to a degree, just for some of us it has become bad enough that it is making most aspects of the game unplayable. I simply won't, for example, go off and heal a dungeon right now, because I don't believe I actually can with the level of activation lag on abilities I am currently experiencing.

Again, just to be clear, this issue has become most apparent for me since fae yule was switched on. Whether that is coincidental or not I don't know, but this needs looking at fairly urgently.

Plane Walker

I believe the OP is talking about framerate, not latency. I have these problems too anytime big enough groups of people converge while spamming abilities.

I've also been having latency issues since the event started. Had some scary moments in Golem Foundry when my heals just kinda froze at the end of the cast rather than going off.

Shadowlander

Yeah the issues are involving both just framerate in congested areas and latency pretty much everywhere.

I got to watch something pretty hysterical if frustrating just earlier. My housemate tried to mount.. nothing happened.. so he clicked again to mount.. about 5 seconds later the mount castbar finally appeared.. he mounted.. started running.. and suddenly dismounted.

What was happening was that each time he clicked mount, the activation time was so long that he was actually mounting from the 1st click.. just some 15 or more seconds later.. then running off and being dismounted by the second click which was queued and also taking some 15 or more seconds to activate.

Its pretty bad atm. I really can't be bothered actually doing anything in game. If you are not screwed by one form of lag then its the other. Don't remember ever seeing it this bad.

Sword of Telara

It definitely wasn't a framerate issue. Attacking an NPC in CQ gives you an 8-12 second ability lag, kinda like Volan did, while switching to a player returned you to latency normal lag. It was... odd.

Shadowlander

Yeah.. not a framerate issue in normal open world pve either. Have been monitoring my latency when doing simple things like.. you know.. daily quests. Almost every time I enter combat and start casting abilities my latency suddenly blows out for no apparent reason to around 750ms.

If it were just me I'd be raging at my ISP already.. Unfortunately, from the number of people i know experiencing it though, its a server issue. I do hope it takes less time to resolve than it took to add cloth shipments.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Atropus View Post
    It definitely wasn't a framerate issue. Attacking an NPC in CQ gives you an 8-12 second ability lag, kinda like Volan did, while switching to a player returned you to latency normal lag. It was... odd.
    One of the interesting things Trion announced about their server architecture is that it splits load onto different physical servers by function (physics, NPC AI, invasions, etc), rather than by geography as in most games.

So I'm guessing that the code to resolve actions taken against an NPC, and the code to resolve actions taken against another player in Conquest actually run on different servers, and the server handling NPC events was overloaded.

Lag? In Rift? Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by jazix View Post
    Lag? In Rift? Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Nope. Not seeing any at all.

FPS drops some when in a ZE boss fight with 100 people but I'm not seeing any server lag whatsoever. YMMV.

Conquest was turned back on, and the mini-bosses are bugged.

Here's the solution, pass the word around - those turrets still hurt the bosses, quite a bit - but the problem is the actual projectiles they are firing WILL NOT HIT the boss until he's pulled back out of turret range.

Who knows where they are going, probably halfway around Telara, but you'll see a dramatic increase in lag the more time the minis spend in your base camp, and it's causing tremendous strain on the server. Just taunt them back down the road and you'll be treated to a 5-10s lockup followed by a fireworks display of epic proportions as all of those "lost" projectiles hit and crumple the boss. The mini needs about 3 minutes in turret range to take sufficient damage to die, but meanwhile I think the whole damn server is about to croak.
    Decov - Greybriar 60/90 Rogue
    Beermaiden - Greybriar 60/80 Mage
    Beermaid - Greybriar 60/88 Warrior
    Beerbong - Greybriar 60/80 Cleric
    Level/PR

Closed Thread