Just thought I would suggest this as it has been on my mind since the last beta. First, the public grouping should help .. but I still think this is worth suggesting.
1. First off, these mobs should just not drop coins. Why would they have currency in the first place? Instead of dividing 10 copper or whatever between 20 people at a rift evenly .. just remove cash from them .. but have them drop grey crap we can sell which runs through the public loot system.
2. The big thing here is the nice equipment they might drop. I think you should run all of that loot through the public loot system but have a roll system in place that distributes the rare weapon/equipment drops which drop sometimes.
3. Basically you just generate a roll at the end of the rift, and then go down the list from highest to lowest and allow them to pick 1 item from a menu. I suppose this could be "slow" .. but we should be able to be walking away from the rift to our quests or another rift as people are slowly selecting their piece.
4. Also, most of this loot would be a grey cash drop of some kind. I'd suggest creating a minimum number of different drops .. 1 or 2 per type of rift, max .. and they should all be worth the same amount. In this way, once the colored gear has been taken, you just automatically distribute cash loot to the rest of the folks.
5. If at all possible, only allow warriors to roll on plate, clerics chain, rogues leather .. mages cloth.
Just a thought. The general rift specific loot system works great .. but I really think the rest of the loot should depend on which group is able to spam tag mobs faster.
XP and kills (needed for some quests) should be looked at too. I'd suggest anyone with a minimum amount of contribution (to be set by the devs .. id offer a number but it would be way off as I have no idea what the numbers look like) gets credit for any rift mob killed while the rift is active .. when the mob dies. As in .. someone that comes in at phase 5 doesnt get credit for mobs killed in phase 1 ... etc etc. Then just simply increase the number of mobs needed for the quests to an appropriately balanced number.
Again, the grouping should help with all of this, cheers on that development .. but I still think this deserved some (more?) text.