+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: I think Just A Little Too Long For Leveling:

Quote Originally Posted by Shibi View Post
    The day you come up with an alternative to "Kill Ten Rats"/"Holy Trinity" the game companies will throw money at you.

Seriously.

When you get to your stage of thinking it's time to give up MMOs.
    There is already a game that has done that, its called GW2 and it's boring as hell!

You run around facerolling whatever you want and you gain levels, dungeons are a faceroll clusterfk where mobs and players run around all over the place like chickens with their heads cut off (no aggro tables, no healers to save you)

then when you get to max level you realize that you have already done everything in the game because its designed so that lower level players can do any aspect of the game. then you quit and come back to good old, holy trinity, kill ten rats, gear progression rift and it is GLORIOUS
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 11-28-2012 at 06:47 AM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Energon View Post
    And I don't think levelling is amazing and end game sucks, both can be incredibly dull at times but the above comment shows just how you think *shudder*.
    Perhaps I should resort to generalizations like you? *shudder*

I get that you're insecure about liking an activity a 6 year old could do, which is why you are quick to label anyone who doesn't as the type of people who pick on you in pugs, but you don't need to be. If you like really easy games that's cool. I just wonder why it's a good idea to have such a boring leveling up process for a game population that already knew how to play. Well, generally speaking, some obviously still find a thrill in the basics.
    Last edited by dooby; 11-28-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    There is already a game that has done that, its called GW2 and it's boring as hell!

You run around facerolling whatever you want and you gain levels, dungeons are a faceroll clusterfk where mobs and players run around all over the place like chickens with their heads cut off (no aggro tables, no healers to save you)

then when you get to max level you realize that you have already done everything in the game because its designed so that lower level players can do any aspect of the game. then you quit and come back to good old, holy trinity, kill ten rats, gear progression rift and it is GLORIOUS
    Pretty much. What people seem to forget is that what makes an MMO an MMO are the points where you NEED other people. GW2 did away with the holy trinity and other things. While they say it is an MMO with a persistent world it sure as hell doesn't feel like it. It's not even that there is no NEED for other players, the other players (unless you are guilded with them) really are for practical purposes no different than NPCs in terms of how you interact with them. The game essentially feels like a bad attempt to duplicate DAO. When you are purely solo it works okay. The minute you enter one of those "dungeons" though it is basically a DAO group (you and your companions) IF the companions and NPCs were coded by a tweeker on the end of a 3 day binge.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    Pretty much. What people seem to forget is that what makes an MMO an MMO are the points where you NEED other people.
    Exactly, so what's the point of all this busy work to get there?

Have a short leveling curve and lots of quests and whatever for the solo people at cap. Wandering around doing quests and facerolling IAs/onslaughts is just like GW2.

Rift Disciple

Default wrong wrong and more wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Auction View Post
    I am in pure 140% rest XP and even now still haven't hit level 51... and I'm a pretty solid no non-sense leveler in any MMO I've ever played. I think you guys missed the mark on XP just a little bit... feels a little grindy in my personal opinion.

I have been working on any quest that comes my way including any carnage that I find.

I think it should have been toned down at least about 25-35%. 4-5 hours now pure quest to quest in 140% bonus and still haven't leveled (75% into level 50: 1.37/2.13).

Again: just my own 2cents and personal opinion.

EDIT: I will NOT be trying to do any leveling out of rest xp. No way. Even 140% is too grindy I can't imagine no bonus. I'll be leap-frogging alts by the looks of things... unless for some reason level 50-51 is hell level.
    you are definetly not a solid levler, people were 60 within 48 hours, how is that long to level??????? if anything it was way to short, half my guild was 60 within a week, and 60 will prob be cap for a year or 2 or more, so how is that too long???????? baddies need to stop ruining the game with their want it rightnow bs. if you want rewards for doing NOTHING, there are apps for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Aumadyan View Post
    you are definetly not a solid levler, people were 60 within 48 hours, how is that long to level??????? if anything it was way to short, half my guild was 60 within a week, and 60 will prob be cap for a year or 2 or more, so how is that too long???????? baddies need to stop ruining the game with their want it rightnow bs. if you want rewards for doing NOTHING, there are apps for that!
    he is no completely wrong ( just smug). Grind has to be masked with a decent flow. SL simply introduced too much empty land and artifically gutted the xp rewards from the activites ( or prolonged the leveling curve) , so you can "enjoy" as much of the empty zones as possible.

1 continent with Ember Isel quality in each zone, with a great leveling flow would have been so much better imo. Anyway, i am 59 atm and won't judge the expansion until i have done my fair share of endgame content, since vanilla rift was basically a new game at endgame so i hope this one will be aswell. Well, i doubt i will level alts to max level anytime soon for sure.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Aumadyan View Post
    Baddies need to stop defending busy work imo. Nothing about questing makes you good lol.

But seriously, some people enjoy it and that's fine, but lots are simply tired of it and SL questing is pretty bland. People are getting bored.
    Last edited by dooby; 11-28-2012 at 07:39 AM.

I think his point was more towards his initial statements where allegedly after 100 hours of game play they had progressed like one level. They then continued on that track regardless of evidence to the contrary. Then they just disappeared. That will tend to bring out a bit of hyperbole.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by dooby View Post
    Exactly, so what's the point of all this busy work to get there?

Have a short leveling curve and lots of quests and whatever for the solo people at cap. Wandering around doing quests and facerolling IAs/onslaughts is just like GW2.
    Thing is on final IA's (big boss spawns) you will often see someone tank and others healing. There may not be a lot of communication but people innately go "team" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Energon View Post
    Even Raid bosses are simple mechanics and timing that require a bit of practice. Once you know a boss (of course depending which one and which role you fill), you could down that boss with your monitor switched off.
    Shut up! Raiders could have some insecurity issues if "casuals and bads" would know that!

LoL. Don't think so. As long as casual players use "I have a life" as an excuse the elitists will be fine. It 's not like the idea these games are not rocket science is new.

Every "I have a life" post is not only a person publically advertising they are in a race to the bottom, it also reinforces the attitude you note.
    Last edited by Galibier; 11-28-2012 at 07:57 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

GW2 went too far.

If you want to break the holy trinity, you do it by removing tanks and tank healers. Leave raid healers alone. There's no reason to make everyone heal half-assed, like GW2 did.

Imagine Akylios without tanks or tank healers. Waves must still be dodged. Apostles must still be interrupted. Lashers and Stingers must still be killed. Breath must still be avoided. Orb damage must still be spread. Just remove the part where one guy has to be standing in front of Akylios' face.

Imagine Laethys without tanks or tank healers. Flare must still be reflected. Adds must still be killed in the right order. Evocation must still be healed through. Golden floor must still be avoided. Subjugation must still be dodged. You just don't need 2 guys standing next to her the whole time.

Trion should really give this a go on a fight or two in raids. Remove tanks, add more AOE damage. It would be a fun change of pace.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 11-28-2012 at 08:49 AM.

I started leveling my rogue to get butchering and outfitter levelled up. I'm 1-2 bars from 52 and still have rested XP...

Perhaps the rested is from not logging onto the toon for a month or so, idk.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    Pretty much. What people seem to forget is that what makes an MMO an MMO are the points where you NEED other people. GW2 did away with the holy trinity and other things. While they say it is an MMO with a persistent world it sure as hell doesn't feel like it. It's not even that there is no NEED for other players, the other players (unless you are guilded with them) really are for practical purposes no different than NPCs in terms of how you interact with them. The game essentially feels like a bad attempt to duplicate DAO. When you are purely solo it works okay. The minute you enter one of those "dungeons" though it is basically a DAO group (you and your companions) IF the companions and NPCs were coded by a tweeker on the end of a 3 day binge.
    Wow I couldn't disagree with you more. The best part about GW2 was the interaction with other players as you level. Maybe it was the server I was on but people were always helping each other on my server and working together to complete objectives. In Rift most people don't give a rat's arse about the Rifts late in the game because they are all so unimaginative and unrewarding. There is nothing in Rift like in GW2 watching 100 people work together to take down a giant world boss and everyone gets to loot the chest at the end. You don't need to buy any crap to launch the event, it just happen, and everyone joins in dynamically. GW2 eliminated the tediousness and boredom of the genre, where they fell short was the end-game and IMO the PVP (which feels like a clusterf--k of special effects).

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
    There is nothing in Rift like in GW2 watching 100 people work together to take down a giant world boss and everyone gets to loot the chest at the end.
    Are you being serious with this? Do you even play Rift?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast