+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Superfluous Tagging

Plane Touched

The original tagger should never have his or her experience cut like the way it is now. It encourages people to be leeches (and that's exactly what we're seeing).

Quote Originally Posted by psychopsilocybin View Post
    The original tagger should never have his or her experience cut like the way it is now. It encourages people to be leeches (and that's exactly what we're seeing).
    And this is where Trion blew it, IMO. They have never been good at figuring out contribution.

Where before people would tag the mob first, then run off and tag more mobs? Leaving your 'normal' player to kill them?

No matter what Trion, or any game company did, there would always be 'those' players that found a way to leech.

I don't know whether to help people kill stuff or not anymore, after reading this thread. I is confused.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Where before people would tag the mob first, then run off and tag more mobs? Leaving your 'normal' player to kill them?

No matter what Trion, or any game company did, there would always be 'those' players that found a way to leech.

I don't know whether to help people kill stuff or not anymore, after reading this thread. I is confused.
    The 'normal' player shouldn't pursue killing mobs near someone if that someone is ninja tagging them over and over; unless Trion takes a harder stance against people being [expletive], then it'll never change, however. The tagging system shouldn't be built for the 10% (arbitrary number I pulled out of thin air) of people who are [expletive] and it definitely shouldn't punish those who are being taken advantage of.

I inform every player I meet doing this tag'n'run stuff that a 30%ish cut is being taken from the original tagger and I get laughed at and told to learn2play most of the time. It's out of our hands to fix that kind of garbage -- Trion shouldn't encourage it.

edit: [expletive] looks better than *******. Silly censoring of words of expression.
    Last edited by psychopsilocybin; 11-19-2012 at 02:35 PM.

The 'normal' player shouldn't pursue killing mobs near someone if that someone is ninja tagging them over and over; unless Trion takes a harder stance against people being [expletive], then it'll never change, however. The tagging system shouldn't be built for the 10% (arbitrary number I pulled out of thin air) of people who are [expletive] and it definitely shouldn't punish those who are being taken advantage of.

I inform every player I meet doing this tag'n'run stuff that a 30%ish cut is being taken from the original tagger and I get laughed at and told to learn2play most of the time. It's out of our hands to fix that kind of garbage -- Trion shouldn't encourage it.

edit: [expletive] looks better than *******. Silly censoring of words of expression.
    The point is this system is less of a benefit to ninja-tagging than the previous one was. You're just essentially auto-grouped with anyone else who contributes to the kill, instead of only the person who happens to tag it first getting all of the reward.

There's no better way to handle it unless you can come up with a way to figure out how much Radiant Spores or a Defiler's link contributes to a kill.

IMO - don't spend time worrying about tagging when you could just be killing more mobs. If everyone helps each other that means everyone gets XP faster in the end.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 11-19-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies79 View Post
    u mad bro?

In all seriousness though, it does not affect you at all. If the tagger is someone like me, they just want a credit for their carnage. And doing an instant cast on a mob as u walk by quite frankly.....works.
    .... and there we have it in a nutshell. A section of the Rift community that could not give a damm about anyone else and will use any exploit, take any advantage, to benefit there own greed.
    There are eight species of Bear (Ursidae): Arctos, Americanus, Thibetanus, Maritimus, Helarctos, Melonleuca, Ornatus, Malayanus, Ursinus.
    Koalas are not one of them, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Geopenguin View Post
    For the most part people are actually helping you kill mobs, but there are a few that are just getting their hit on the mob you are fighting and then moving on.
    There are always going to be people that do this, but overall the change seems positive and I'm glad it went in. The devs might one day refine it so that you are checked to be inside 50 meters of the mob when it dies in order to get credit, but it's such a low priority thing, because it's really only your sensibilities being hurt, and they mean nothing in the greater scheme of things.

In terms of etiquette:

If I'm not on a carnage I will often stand back and watch a lower level hit on a mob but if it looks like they are in trouble, or get an extra add I will whip in and assist. Likewise if I'm out farming and someone is there on carnage I am more than happy to turn around and wait until they get near me then restart killing so they get credit.

But then, I also rez gravestones I see... which everyone can now do. Be a friend to others target the stone and rez it to help that person from what could be a long run!

But I digress. Kill stealers are just someting to put up with, all they really do here is get free XP, you still get the same amount of effort, Importantly though it shouldn't stop this great change.

Only issue as a tactician is the occasional griefer who will grab extra mobs and drag them into my AOE. Sort of wish I had disengage for that one so he would get all mine. So far though, only two of them.
    Last edited by Shibi; 11-19-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatovar View Post
    But really, I don't see why people care about this issue. I tagged mobs, I had people tag mine. If I saw someone was in trouble I helped out. If they died I rezzed em up. After I hit "Slip Away" of course. Others helped me out when I was in trouble. My leveling experience was fairly positive as far as leveling experiences go, and one of the big reasons it was positive was because I didn't worry about things like this for even a second.
    I am still working my way up thru the quests and have to say that my experience has been very positive, too. People aren't jumping ahead of each other to snag quest mobs from each other because now everyone can participate together and receive credit (for the most part). I've experienced more random cooperation and people just helping each other with dmg/heals/rezzes in this last week than I have in over a year of playing. That's pretty cool, Imho.

I'm a tank. I'll run into a carnage area and tag everything I can see, bunch them up and start tanking them. You are welcome to come along and tag them, I don't care.

You're welcome.

People are really getting annoyed at this non-issue? Unless you are primarily grinding mobs for XP (why would you do this?) tag your carnage mobs, get it out of your quest log, collect your XP for finishing the quest and move on.

Seriously people, this is a good system, quit whining.
    never go to bed angry - stay awake and plot your revenge

Rift Disciple

At first I was really hesitant to tag mobs that other people were fighting once I figured out that they would receive less XP for killing the mob... but you know what... after the 50th or 60th time some ***hole chose to deliberately wait for me to clear the mobs away from a quest piece only to loot it while I was busy fighting the mobs that guard it, and after dozens of times watching some jerk sail past me on a 150% mount trailing 3-4 mobs with the intentions of tagging and clearing the entire space I was just about to fight through?

Now, I don't care, I'll tag everything within reach of me.

If someone wants to come with me, or it seems that they're on the same quest chain as I am, I'll invite them to my group (which is set private) and we can clean house together, but I'm done with being overly polite to people in world only to get sh*t on in return.

I will admit, im a hit and runner (unless someones struggling) but on the other hand, i couldnt give 2 ****s if you come along and dot my target and **** off either. TBH i have bigger things to worry about.
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

People who tag a mob should get credit. And nothing more. If you want to get xp, group up with the person who pulled the mob. I spend an hour last night killing stuff left and right and had half a dozen people run up, slap my mob, and run off again. It's annoying, and rude. And there's nothing I can do about it.

I don't like this system at all. :/

Plane Touched

I'm climbin' in your zones, taggin' your mobs up.

You betta hide your kids, hide your mobs, hide your kids, hide your mobs.
    Cause I'm taggin' everybody in hurr.
    Jinkeez - R50 Cleric. HK (Conq) - PF 4/4. ID 8/8.

I like this new system.

I'm leveling as 44 bard/rest nightblade/4 tactician, so I AoE mobs whenever I can, pretty much always on the run, unless it's ranged/casters. If I see someone else killing stuff that I need, whether it be carnage or regular, I throw the coda of aoe at their mobs, while I run my group of mobs into theirs, and we both aoe everything down.
    I get some exp from their mobs, they get some from mine, and we both get credit.
    It works, and I haven't had any complaints yet.

If someone hits my mob a single time then runs off, I couldn't give a flying ****.
    It takes me what, 10 seconds to kill a normal mob?
    And when I aoe I have 3-5 on me at any given time, it's not like I'll greatly notice the exp difference.

I just keep a vague idea of how often I'm getting involved with mobs from the same people and try not to do it consistently. If I do tag one of theirs, I go all out on it and/or make it a somewhat obvious point that I'm now hitting a mob nearby and they could tag mine.

I've yet to run into someone who follows me around and doesn't do a reasonable amount of damage to my mobs. It's just a give and take process. Offer back what you take. When it comes to carnage quests, I think it's safe to say that most people just want the damn thing done and out of their logs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast