+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Everything is so hard to kill it seems

http://youtu.be/UsqpV7S_S7w

Take a look at the above video. That's me... killin' stuff... rather quickly whilst using a 48-22 Elementalist/Harbinger.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jebasiz View Post
    so..you don't know how to play your class/calling, set up a workable spec..or work one of the preset builds with efficiency, and you think it's the game's problem? That or I'm reading it wrong..which I hope is the case. Even as mindnumbingly easy as your WoW is..if you attempted to play at whatever the max level of that pixelated vomit is at now, you'd still likely have 'issues'..if you didn't know anything about your cartoon..err character.
    it is the games problem if they want my money. they can either make a smooth transition into new content, or assume level 50s will have been playing for months at cap at least with all the knowledge and equipment that comes with that. I don't mind if thats how they choose to do it, its just not for me. Also, i'm not at level cap, I'm level 50, and I don't play wow so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Someone else asked what class I play, I'm a mage, and the reason I said they assumed I had gold was because when i logged in my skills were reset and I had to pick all new souls, but then I couldn't afford to fully retrain so I'm stuck with half trained skills.

My point was simply that for a casual player like me it was very easy to get stuck and frustrated with the game, which doesn't seem like and ideal situation if they want to retain returning players.

You have to be a little realistic. Rift has a much more in depth skill system and character building system than many other MMOs that rely on pseudo-customization to work. AKA... many games give you some points to spend but what you can do with them is very limited. In Rift... there's no luck there. You'll need to read your abilities and find how they synergize with other souls in order to create both an effective soul and one you like to play.

There's plenty of guides in the class forums to help with that as well as the premade templates to get you started. Rift can be overwhelming to some people because, again, unlike so many other MMOs... Rift is unique and has an awful lot of stuff to learn. That's the problem and the blessing all in one. People who stick with it and like it will never run out of ways to customize their builds and adapt new souls over time as they learn new tricks of their trade. New players get thrown into the fire. It's not a very hard system to learn but unlike some MMOs... staring at the soul tree for 10 seconds and arbitrarily dumping points into skills you think you might like won't end very well for you or your character's performance.

My suggestion: Go in game, hit N and read every single thing in your root and branch skills on every soul for your class. Get familiar with what your abilities do and then talk with someone about macros

Quote Originally Posted by Ixius View Post
    it is the games problem if they want my money. they can either make a smooth transition into new content, or assume level 50s will have been playing for months at cap at least with all the knowledge and equipment that comes with that. I don't mind if thats how they choose to do it, its just not for me. Also, i'm not at level cap, I'm level 50, and I don't play wow so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Someone else asked what class I play, I'm a mage, and the reason I said they assumed I had gold was because when i logged in my skills were reset and I had to pick all new souls, but then I couldn't afford to fully retrain so I'm stuck with half trained skills.

My point was simply that for a casual player like me it was very easy to get stuck and frustrated with the game, which doesn't seem like and ideal situation if they want to retain returning players.
    Skills weren't reset with SL. That would of been from 1.11.

Run some dailies on Ember, do some Chronicles or IA's.You'll get more than enough coin to train all your skills plus a bit more. I wouldn't venture into SL until you'd done that.

If you don't have a pet build, try one. They're awesome to solo with.

While I understand SL may be difficult for players just coming back to the game, surely returning players wouldn't expect Trion to put the game on hold, waiting to see who came back?

Ember Island, Shimmer and Stillmoor are all still in game otherwise.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by Kaedan View Post
    Yup, SL mobs are about the same difficulty as Ember Isle.

Of course, if you don't have any Expert Dungeon or Raid gear, it will be a little tougher.
    I'm pretty low geared, but I'm managing. My hit's up there, but toughness is crap. But you want to take a build meant to survive if your under-geared.

And the easiest way to do that is either with a pet spec or some decent healing. In my experience, I think you do better with one of those rather than try to use toughness or resistance because if a single target or a couple of world mobs are getting you down... you probably need a way to mitigate the damage entirely.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kaedan View Post
    Of course, if you don't have any Expert Dungeon or Raid gear, it will be a little tougher.
    Which is a good reply to those raiders who sneer at 'casuals' and say "you don' need raid gear if you don't raid" .. clearly raid gear IS useful for non-raiders, without out they're having a hard time in this expansion it seems.

I actually am glad you tell they are hard. I did hope that SL would bring back the challenge that Rift gave on launch, have been missing that for a long time now(EI wasnt as much as I hoped for in that aspect)
    For me they are so easy, but since I am in IDgear I do overgear the start area's but this does make me look forward to lv55, when I should be about on par

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    Which is a good reply to those raiders who sneer at 'casuals' and say "you don' need raid gear if you don't raid" .. clearly raid gear IS useful for non-raiders, without out they're having a hard time in this expansion it seems.
    no you dont need raid gear, you still dont need it. I cannot believe that players who are on par(gearwise) would have it very hard. It would be hard, yes. Just like Rift was when it launched. Not even hard, thats not the good word ..... challenging is I quess
    but casuals, like me, did have enough options to obtain raidgear so :P
    Last edited by NearioNL; 11-15-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Soulwalker

Small nerf to mob's hp wouldn't hurt, because often its really boring to use more than 10 GCDs to finish one mob.
    While leveling from 1 to 50, I was able to kill mob with 3-5 casts, and I believe this should be kept.

Champion

sounds like PEBCAK.

I am sorry to say that just because there is a new level 50 zone you shouldn't really jump right in, you still need to go through Ember Isle and Stillmoor a bit to get some basic gear and coin to move on.

It seems to me that the starter zones for SL are fine. If they were easier than they are currently, I would be shocked since it is basically the same as Ember Isle.

I was able to solo mobs last night. I am only Expert dungeon geared or less (not one stitch of raid gear). On this note of gear, in less than two hours of doing the start-up quests in one of the first zones, I gained four pieces of gear that nearly matched what I currently am wearing. The AC on each piece far-exceeded my current gear - and the other stats were a mix and match of which stat was better or worse. This showed me that if I arrived in Chronicle gear, Planar gear, etc. I could very quickly overhaul my entire gearset to be even better SL-prepared.

Just another humble opinion.

Prophet of Telara

I think it's a fairly standard situation to struggle a bit when venturing into new content as a new or returning player. That's why the entry level greens are usually so powerful and the first few quests require little actual combat. Not to mention the ability to group up and tagging other people's mobs and receiving kill credit.
    The sky is not falling, just put in a little effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Rogues are completly fine to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro
    please stop qq about nerfs because i promise if u keep it up rift will shut down because they have no subribers and we will have wasted our money on a failed game simply because everyone was acting like little kids because they couldnt faceroll anyone and it actually took effort to kill them

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    Well, there's also planar conqueror gear which is comparable to decent raid gear. It isn't ID quality raid equivalent... but it does have stats comparable to the easier to attain epic T2 raid gear. So, people do have that option... and as you might have seen in my video a couple of posts above, good raid gear makes SL mobs in the 50-52 range at least VERY easy.

So, you still don't need the raid gear for SL. Top end T2 and T3 raid gear is comparable to level 54-55 blues in SL. By the time you level up past that, you're caught up with everyone else. My L50 rogue has 1 piece of RoS gear (an axe) and a half set of T1 expert gear and some L48 greens. He has no problem with a ranger or nightblade spec.

Like myself and others have said... A person's spec and knowing how to use it is the biggest piece in the puzzle. I'd be willing to say it's probably 3/4 the solution with the other 1/4 being your gear.

I have to take back what I said earlier (about them being undertuned). As noted by others, the two starter zones things are fairly easy. One I stepped into Dusken it started taking me forever to kill something (and was taking a lot more damage). Yet think I need weapons upgrades because most of my drops have been armor.
    Beware the Penguin...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast