+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lack of character identity?

Default Lack of character identity?

Is anyone else concerned we may end up not really connecting with our chars in Rift?

My concern started when I found out Shaman was not a starting soul. This grew the more I thought about why I was disappointed. When I play a Shaman I 'am' that Shaman, simple as that. How can I try to connect to being a shaman when I cant even start out as one, but only at some distant point in the game when I have unlocked that soul?

To me being a Shaman is not something to be 'slotted in when needed', its a whole playstyle and a way of inhabiting the game world. Im not an RPer really but I guess in this respect I kind of am, even though I dont chat in RP but only ever OOC type.

I cant help thinking a better system would be to have access to all souls at start with heroic abilities unlocked instead of heroic souls. Free a spirit in a dungeon and their ghost imparts a secret of that class to you, rather than having a whole soul given to you at a later stage in the game.

I could be wrong, I need to play to find out of course, but is anyone else worried by this lack of identity we may be getting ourselves into here?

I am Kuldorn, I am a Shaman
    or
    I am Kuldorn, I am a Shaman, Inquisitor, Purifier on raid days and an Inquisitor, Sentinel, Shaman rest of time... except when I have to go Purifier, Sentinel, Shaman for healing tough dungeons...

Thoughts?

I have been concerned with this for awhile. I am Kula, bard. When will I get to be Kula, bard? Will Kula,bard be even viable?

I am thinking of it in different terms.

I am Nadili the Rogue

No matter what soul I pick up or which playstyle I decide to go with I am a rogue with differing abilities. Maybe try changing your perception to.

I am Kuldorn the Cleric?

A bit, but I think it will be ok.

I think people who play together a lot will end up using the same build each time. But it will be harder to identify with someone new, I agree.

Maybe they should lock the first soul, I don't know.

I don't think it will be too bad, you get your second soul at level 15 which should happen very quickly if Rift even remotely follows the curve set by other games. Once that happens you can abandon the starting class and never look back.
    Behold the turtle of enormous girth, on his shell he holds the earth.

Maybe that is the point because of the nature of characters in this game. They contain the souls of ancestors which contain various powers.

Take your shaman for example. You study your calling (cleric). In your studies and adventures to protect (or destroy) the gods, you happen to find a soul trapped by an elemental of death that contained forgotten secrets of the shamanistic ways. After defeating the foul elemental, the trapped spirit fuses with your soul and awakens the path of the shaman within you.

I believe this is what they are going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuldorn View Post
    Is anyone else concerned we may end up not really connecting with our chars in Rift?

My concern started when I found out Shaman was not a starting soul. This grew the more I thought about why I was disappointed. When I play a Shaman I 'am' that Shaman, simple as that. How can I try to connect to being a shaman when I cant even start out as one, but only at some distant point in the game when I have unlocked that soul?

To me being a Shaman is not something to be 'slotted in when needed', its a whole playstyle and a way of inhabiting the game world. Im not an RPer really but I guess in this respect I kind of am, even though I dont chat in RP but only ever OOC type.

I cant help thinking a better system would be to have access to all souls at start with heroic abilities unlocked instead of heroic souls. Free a spirit in a dungeon and their ghost imparts a secret of that class to you, rather than having a whole soul given to you at a later stage in the game.

I could be wrong, I need to play to find out of course, but is anyone else worried by this lack of identity we may be getting ourselves into here?

I am Kuldorn, I am a Shaman
    or
    I am Kuldorn, I am a Shaman, Inquisitor, Purifier on raid days and an Inquisitor, Sentinel, Shaman rest of time... except when I have to go Purifier, Sentinel, Shaman for healing tough dungeons...

Thoughts?
    You are Kuldorn the Cleric. And during your journeys you connected with the soul of one who called himself a Shaman. He passed his ways onto you, allowing you to take the title onto yourself. Only then can you be Kuldorn the Shaman.

That aside, you have a number of built slots, and I assume you will be able to respec them. When you get your Shaman soul unlocked, just wipe out your current choices and switch it up.

I believe the idea is to ease the player into the system with basic souls, and then allow them to unlock those with more esoteric abilities. Again, it's the divide between gameplay and immersion. Immersion says 'all unlocked at the beginning, dive in' and gameplay says 'wade into the pool slowly'.

Most MMO forums wars are over the Game vs World divide. Which side are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Zyllos View Post
    Maybe that is the point because of the nature of characters in this game. They contain the souls of ancestors which contain various powers.

Take your shaman for example. You study your calling (cleric). In your studies and adventures to protect (or destroy) the gods, you happen to find a soul trapped by an elemental of death that contained forgotten secrets of the shamanistic ways. After defeating the foul elemental, the trapped spirit fuses with your soul and awakens the path of the shaman within you.

I believe this is what they are going for.
    Yeah but your original soul can be ditched, so what soul is it "fusing" with?

From what I understand of the lore, only the strongest souls were allowed to come back to life. Our characters are then allowed to attune to other souls (ones that were not powerful enough to come back). So my characters starts off as a Nightblade for example and later ditches the original soul (the one that came bacK) for three that didn't come back...that were never resurrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadili View Post
    I am thinking of it in different terms.

I am Nadili the Rogue

No matter what soul I pick up or which playstyle I decide to go with I am a rogue with differing abilities. Maybe try changing your perception to.

I am Kuldorn the Cleric?
    You are also a rogue that can use all abilities at the drop of a hat, just like every other rogue. This is why I feel a loss of identity as well.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

Nope, I for one dislike being pidgeon-holed into a singular role. Diversity is king!

Honestly, I think providing the option to use any soul initially will create more confusion and more QQ. A bunch of people running around who don't know where to fit in or how to properly play their role. As they said, the souls were designed to be partially as a reward. As you grow stronger, you gain access to these "heroic" souls. As they said, many of their souls are specialized.

Try the bard for example. This is definitely one soul tree i could see players going deep into at endgame. They have buffs, heals, movement. However, at lower levels, they would be very ineffective for grouping. As they don't really put out a lot of dps, nor are they proficient healers without having a solid amount of affinity to their soul.

I'll agree with Zen on this one. I think it was designed to make players crave for more. The callings themselves will all have different play styles, however the individual souls within each calling will all be slightly similar. I think the idea is to get you comfortable in your playing style, then ease you into some more of the complicated souls with more intricate play techniques.

This is the major concern I have about Rift as well. The ability to change roles on the fly and re-define roles altogether when in a city seems like it's going to result in less identification with each individual soul and therefore my character. Maybe that will be replaced with identification with a calling or with the set of roles I spec most often though. In any case, I think identifying with your character is important to many players and something they should take extra care to maintain as they flesh out the soul system.

My characters don't have identities. They're all me.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

It's hard to imagine how it will play out but I can give you a good example. Let's use WoW for example since it has a very similar talent tree system. If you play a rogue in WoW, you can be the "assassin" (with points spent in the assassination tree, or you can respec and be the "swashbuckling combat rogue" (with points spent in the combat tree). Neither of these play alike, yet they are both rogues and come from the same base class (or calling if you look at it in Rift terms). The souls just allow us to have more than 3 trees (like wow locks each class to) to mix and match between for each calling.

I have not experienced this first hand yet, but it is very easy to see how it will not be much different, yet potentially much greater than existing class systems in other games.

actually I think the opposite, instead of being Apoth the Ranger or Apoth the Marksman, I will just be Apoth ... and I will be able to tailor my class to MY playstyle.

I identified with my SWG character much more than any other character because of this.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Shadowlander

I also have the concern about an identity crisis. Will have to wait and see how it all comes together after I can get my hands dirty with the game. I never really like having to Trait my toon in LOTR depending on what I was going to do and the Rift Soul system sounds like the LOTRO Trait swapping on steroids. I hope I can arrive at a solid build that will suffice for most situations and will very rarely need to be tinkered with. We will see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast