+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Account Wide PA and how it could be a Bummer.. Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Kharvyn View Post
    I actually thought about the spreadsheet thing as I typed... lol. I'd have to hire an accountant instead. That would be too much money..
    Maybe someone can write a simple plugin that tracks PA earned per character? Or perhaps Trion can incorporate that information somewhere in the PA UI?

Quote Originally Posted by Kharvyn View Post
    Actually, it DOES "effect" me. Even though this is a fantasy game, I enjoy progressing my characters individually. This course that Trion has taken, removes that possibility. I level a brand new 50 (or soon to be 60) and I get a huge, unearned and unexplained (and unwanted) bonus to his power. I don't want an easier game. I left that behind. Or so I thought. A combined total to choose which characters to apply the points to? Sure, no problem. I'd choose the one that earned it. Don't give me PA welfare please.

I do understand the second part of your post. I suspect that I am in a small minority on this subect, as well as several others recently. By itself this decision by Trion is not a deal breaker. It is not alone. Over the last several months Trion has chosen the direct opposite path from what I had hoped (minus offering a HUGE landmass with lots of cool looking stuff for SL). I do love much of what Telara could be. However, this latest choice from the Devs has me thinking solely of camels backs and straws. I have one vote. It comes up every month. It is due this week and I have just cast my early ballot. Time will tell if a recount is in order.
    Lol @ welfare. What a shame that you won't have to put hundreds of hours of work into a fresh 50 or 60 just to be competitive. Nevermind the options this opens up to expand the PA tree without making the grind even more daunting.

And yes, bowler hat, it does appear my memory of MM gear vs t1 raid gear stats was off. I think this is due to the gear rebalancing from patches past, because I remember them being much closer.
    Waiting for Wildstar...

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    And yes, bowler hat, it does appear my memory of MM gear vs t1 raid gear stats was off. I think this is due to the gear rebalancing from patches past, because I remember them being much closer.
    The 1.7 reset was quite thorough and well executed.

My curiosity is what will come first T3 PA or this, or will they come at the same time? If this launched before T3 PA would accounts with characters who suprass the current PA limit lose those PA levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Sepii View Post
    My curiosity is what will come first T3 PA or this, or will they come at the same time? If this launched before T3 PA would accounts with characters who suprass the current PA limit lose those PA levels?
    I suspect the Account wide change will occur before the opening of T3 PA. No single Character will be disadvantaged this way.

The alternative of summing all PA levels across the account past the current PA cap is problematic. Trion have already stated they want to implement a scaling PA system that steadily increase the amount of XP required per level as your total number of PA levels rise. It would be tricky to retrofit this system onto PA levels imported from the previous system.

I think we can expect the 500k per level mechanic to remain for all levels below the existing cap, and then the sliding scale used for new T3 levels above that cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    Like I said, though, this doesn't fix the problem with PA. Your alts still suck, no matter how geared, and you can't raid or PVP with them, at least not with people who take losing seriously.
    How are you prohibited from PvP'ing? All you have to do to PvP, is que for a warfront or Conquest, there's no PA check. And no one checks PA levels for raiding on any but the most hardcore guilds, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    I suspect the Account wide change will occur before the opening of T3 PA. No single Character will be disadvantaged this way.

The alternative of summing all PA levels across the account past the current PA cap is problematic. Trion have already stated they want to implement a scaling PA system that steadily increase the amount of XP required per level as your total number of PA levels rise. It would be tricky to retrofit this system onto PA levels imported from the previous system.

I think we can expect the 500k per level mechanic to remain for all levels below the existing cap, and then the sliding scale used for new T3 levels above that cap.
    I would expect both to come in together at Storm Legion launch.

I also expect a complete PA reset at the same time and expect to 're spend' my PA in new trees when I first login when Storm Legion goes live.

No basis for this from TRION but it has happened that way in other games (although the account wide thing is a new spin for me).

Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    I also expect a complete PA reset at the same time and expect to 're spend' my PA in new trees when I first login when Storm Legion goes live.
    Given there are indications that they will be removing the partial level tiles, a free reset is to be expected. By partial level I am refering to all tiles not currently divisible by 100 - or one PA level. I haven't seen the source of this information yet but it seems many are taking it to mean that one completed tile equals one PA level. I suspect that isn't quite true and we will still see tiered tiles requiring 5 or more PA levels to max out. Otherwise there will be too many points to spend for the total available space in the tiers. (can anyone link me the source of this statement?)

I should clarify, that the introduction of account wide PA and the 3rd tier are not mutually exclusive. However I don't expect that PA levels for any account will exceed the current cap when the changeover occurs - regardless of total PA's spread across all account characters. The easiest way to facilitate this would be to introduce the Account wide change first, hopefully in 1.11 with the new soul changes, or perhaps even earlier.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Lol @ welfare. What a shame that you won't have to put hundreds of hours of work into a fresh 50 or 60 just to be competitive. Nevermind the options this opens up to expand the PA tree without making the grind even more daunting.
    Except, what you described really IS a shame to a lot of people. Why should my warrior that I haven't logged in for the last 4 months have the same PA that my mage does? People make this HUGE deal about how PA is gamebreaking where if you don't have it you can't compete. You do realize that the gear difference between your main and alt probably has more to do with their output than their PA total does correct? 204sp and 60 crit is nice, but nowhere near gamebreaking. 204 SP for a mage, will probably increase your overall ST dps by 3-400, and with high end mages pushing 5500dps, losing 300-400 is 5-7% loss...hardly gamebreaking. And that is the two extremes, chances are your alt has at least a few PA, so the gap is even less. People love to blame PA totals for their sub par performance, when in reality, chances are they are just sub par in general. In a best case scenario grinding all 1034 levels nets you under 10% increase...congratulations on being uber...

Additionally, I would bet that not having the conquest perks on your alt makes a bigger impact than the PA difference. 6% bonus to spell power means a free upgrade of ~120sp for your average raiding mage. Yet nobody is whining saying they want conquest power perks to be shared across accounts.

Second point is that people say they don't want to grind PA...THEN DON"T GRIND IT. PA rolls in nice and steady with no effort. Even doing nothing but the daily t2/pvp you should have pretty much every useful ability by now. Mage caps offensive abilities for staff at around 68k if I remember correctly, It's been a long time since I did the math, so i'm sure the number ****'s will pounce.. but mages get somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of the total offensive abilities after obtaining only 1/3 of the total PA. Which should be easily obtainable considering t2 PA has been out for nearly a year now.

The bottom line is PA serves its original purpose. It's a nice perk for those who play a lot, but is not so powerful as to be gamebreaking. I could possibly understand the scaling system, where early PA are much easier to obtain than later PA points, which would help new players achieve some sort of baseline. But simply giving away PA to all of your alts is ludicrous.
    Last edited by vexare; 09-03-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vexare View Post
    But simply giving away PA to all of your alts is ludicrous.
    You are not forced to spend that PA on your alts. You can choose not to spend any, or spend as much as you like.

ITT: More proof that people will complain about ANYTHING.

"Free ice cream, everybody!"

"THIS IS HORSE PUCKEY I JUST PAID FOR ICE CREAM YESTERDAY!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    ITT: More proof that people will complain about ANYTHING.

"Free ice cream, everybody!"

"THIS IS HORSE PUCKEY I JUST PAID FOR ICE CREAM YESTERDAY!!!!!!"
    You are DEVALUING my ice cream experience. Some of us enjoy paying for ice cream, and wouldn't want it if we didn't have to pay.

Thanks for ruining it for me, guys. I'm going to go PAY for a smoothie. Welfare ice cream. Come on!
    Last edited by Europe; 09-03-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Boo to daglar and account bound PA. That is all.

Except, what you described really IS a shame to a lot of people. Why should my warrior that I haven't logged in for the last 4 months have the same PA that my mage does?
    Because you put the time in and earned it under the new rules? Ridiculous the mental gymnastics people go through for some things. Don't spend your PA if you don't like it, the rest of us are looking forward to not grinding hundreds of hours per alt class.
    Waiting for Wildstar...

204sp and 60 crit is nice, but nowhere near gamebreaking.
    In a best case scenario grinding all 1034 levels nets you under 10% increase...congratulations on being uber...
    But simply giving away PA to all of your alts is ludicrous.
    Make up your mind. Is it a big deal, or isn't it? If it isn't a big deal not to have it, then it can't be a big deal to have it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast