+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is it time to re-assess server caps?

Default Is it time to re-assess server caps?

I see the shard status for Greybriar as "medium", but there's no doubt been a significant impact on playability as the server has slowly but steadily been gaining players. Input latency has become a factor, and zone events are dipping below 10 FPS with a couple hundred people standing around (perhaps more not being rendered).

My reason for concern is if the playerbase should choose to suddenly flock to this server, "high" or "full" would have to be nearly unplayable. With SL on the horizon, I don't want those epic looking zone events to be slideshows - maybe the caps are too generous. It's certainly something to consider before potentially hundreds of thousands of players come back to Rift for the expansion and are turned off by poor playability.

Almost forgot... if we're going to be sharing a common hub with Defiants and Guardians, hoo boy.
    Last edited by Fujitasix; 08-15-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

I honestly think the servers are stuck at what they are showing on the shardstatus website.

There's no way seastone is medium population when I'm having load screens for load screens from all the people there at times.

I'd like to see a "not recommended" with an asterisk stating performance may be compromised if you roll on X shard at least - but you may be right, every time I check the shard status it's the same 6 servers on "medium".
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Ascendant

yea they are definitely a bit wonky with what they are showing, at 3 am server time they are still showing medium.. uhm no I don't think so

I hope they do something about this soon because Meridian on Greybriar is a complete deathdrap of loading screens during peak hours. I am by no means playing on a dinosaur, and I'm seeing my fps drop below 10 on a regular basis. It wasn't so bad before they changed the number of renderable players (one of the Conquest fixes implemented early on). Since then, crowded areas are awful. Not to mention the ability lag during raids. That's another animal.

Could we at least remove Greybriar from the list of shards available for transfer? More guilds seem to show up here every day. That's not good for anyone.
    4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA 3/3 IG
    All HMs Cleared, FT & EE Conq

Default raiding is becoming impossible....

The last few raid days are becoming more and more unplayable...having to hit ability buttons 2 or 3 times for them to even work, or delay of 2-3 seconds,or my all time favorite the whole game freezing up for 3-5 seconds makes raiding near impossible. We wiped on Ituziel for an hour and this boss is a 2 shot farm for us now. Raid dying because heals are not firing in time or cant get out of the way because of freezing screen so you cant see what you need to dodge. Please Trion fix this, with GW2 just around the corner alot will be turned off by this and will give more a reason to go check out the new shiney game. This is the last thing you need before your xpac....

edit: btw we are also on Greybriar
    Last edited by mauvelence; 08-15-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Sorry to sound crass but move. There are plenty of medium to low pop servers which dont have these issues. Im sorry your server got overrun and when SL hits it will get worse not better. Think about ahving qeues on raid night waiting for your folks to get in. I'd suggest thinking about moving to a lower population server and establishing there. My .02.

Rift Disciple

I have heard they are going to do some engine fixes/tweaks..not sure though. Servers, well hopefully they can make more, and add server caps. I am interested in what the average server has now..ex Faeblight/Wolfsbane.

Pretty much have to agree.

On Faeblight going into Sanctum is pretty much a death trap for me now. It used to be just a large FPS drop, and I was okay with that, but now it's pretty much horrible trying to go into the inner building where the portal master + other important NPCs are. It's also really bad trying to go around the PvP/Crafting areas... ugh. And to make matters worse, in the past 2-3 weeks I've been actually crashing at the most random times in Sanctum. Even when I'm on the lowest settings with the low quality renderer I get horrible FPS in Sanctum, but everywhere else I get fairly good FPS unless it's in a largely populated area or a zone event. . .

Don't even get me started on the Ember Isle zone events either... my game froze up and crashed on me when I was far away enough from Ochrin to take this screenshot, and I was frozen in that spot and crashed shortly after:

For the record, Ochrin is very huge and hundreds of players were most likely little specks up at his feet. Game decided to quit on me though instead of try to load all of them up.

At least I got a nice screenshot, though xD

So... yeah... something really needs to be done about the horrible fps issues in general. Especially for Storm Legion if we're going to have grand epic battles such as that one Colossus.
    Last edited by Zengar Zombolt; 08-15-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Sorenthaz@Faeblight
    Level 60 High Elf Mage (Guardian)

They already increased the caps so that the current amount of servers can handle the increased population SL will give. If your computer can't handle a lot of people at once, I'm with the others on the notion of moving to a low-pop shard. I play on a low-pop shard for all of my time in Rift (well, save for the few months post-launch where it was at medium) and once you get yourself established it's not that bad. Zone events of any zone doesn't need 50 people to be completed - there's extra work in it, sure, but it's doable with 10ish people on EI, even fewer in other zones (depending on timers, of course)
    And we still get far most of ours completed here on Argent, perhaps save for the morning hours.

ssst Talila.
    dont want my raids to get laggy
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by NearioNL View Post
    ssst Talila.
    dont want my raids to get laggy
    Psshhh we'd need like an explosion before that'd happen

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    They already increased the caps so that the current amount of servers can handle the increased population SL will give. If your computer can't handle a lot of people at once, I'm with the others on the notion of moving to a low-pop shard. I play on a low-pop shard for all of my time in Rift (well, save for the few months post-launch where it was at medium) and once you get yourself established it's not that bad. Zone events of any zone doesn't need 50 people to be completed - there's extra work in it, sure, but it's doable with 10ish people on EI, even fewer in other zones (depending on timers, of course)
    And we still get far most of ours completed here on Argent, perhaps save for the morning hours.
    I moved from Argent to Icewatch because I felt the shard was dying and wouldn't be left in the wake. I have been sort of regretting it since. I've always enjoyed small communities, but in game I am too shy to make many friends, and so a populous shard gives me the anonymity I like xD Been thinking about moving back or to Blightweald when SL drops, simply because my computer can't handle EI or Meridian. Players won't rend, the game crashes, it loads all the time and for the first time I've begun getting all the graphic bugs people talk about. When the next patch comes it gives me even more reason to, since an entire faction has been opened up.

There should be, imo, a cap though. Because that would force the population to scatter a bit, and the smaller shards would get a little influx.

"Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    I moved from Argent to Icewatch because I felt the shard was dying and wouldn't be left in the wake. I have been sort of regretting it since. I've always enjoyed small communities, but in game I am too shy to make many friends, and so a populous shard gives me the anonymity I like xD Been thinking about moving back or to Blightweald when SL drops, simply because my computer can't handle EI or Meridian. Players won't rend, the game crashes, it loads all the time and for the first time I've begun getting all the graphic bugs people talk about. When the next patch comes it gives me even more reason to, since an entire faction has been opened up.

There should be, imo, a cap though. Because that would force the population to scatter a bit, and the smaller shards would get a little influx.
    Ey well, come back, give me a /tell and become a social member in one of the nicest guilds around ;).
    I am not truly un-biased though but ok :P
    there are more nice guilds around though so you can even choose :P not need to make friends, you got tons in a sec here haha
    Last edited by NearioNL; 08-16-2012 at 02:44 AM.
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    ...before potentially hundreds of thousands of players come back to Rift for the expansion...
    Really? Wishful thinking much?
    "In the MMO Rift, the players are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The Defiants who travelled back in time and The Guardians who are The Vigil's Chosen. These are their stories." <Dun! Dun!>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast