+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: So did you enjoy Summerfest?

Default So did you enjoy Summerfest?

....just asking.

Started off rough with that dysfunctional maze and Conquest broken is so many different directions.

I think TRION should name their next world event, "The Apology."

I liked parts of it, the daily quests made it easy to level up my fishing.

I did NOT like the scavenger quests. The ones that didn't require you to wait on a respawn were not bad, but god the ones that did were awful. I have never felt so much like I was being forced to waste my time.

The cost of the BiS essences was also pretty absurd, given the length of the event. Some folks in my guild didn't even have time to save up for one of them. I know, they'll be back next year, but will we even want them after the level cap raises?

I love the new fluff items, except for the long cooldown on them. Being able to fight as a corgi or a beetle is pretty rad.

The problems people had with the main city mazes was a L2P issue, I never had a problem there.

Overall I have a pretty "meh" feeling about it. I know a lot of people were disappoint.

i liked it

i liked most of the scavenger hunts, the ones that required brains or knowledge (the Thingar one brought back great memories as soon as i realized where it was)

i also liked the maze until i figured out it was incredibly simple, then it was just a matter of running through it on my mount every time i needed to get/turn in a quest

the zone event was pretty cool too, though after the first couple times it lost the charm

and of course i love the world event items, i got every item except the bottomless brown (didnt see a point to it, it didnt do anything new) and 2 pets, 1 i didnt get on purpose. i got all the other stuff including the 2 BiS essences for my rogue, and it didnt take that long.

i hope it gets tweaked a little bit for next year, but i definitely hope they do it again, and i dont think they owe us an apology, if anything we owe them one. they had a vision of what they wanted, and we didnt like it. this is fine, but the playerbase didnt have to tear at them calling them stupid and that they should fire the person who made the maze

Don't really see how complaints about Conquest fit in with enjoying Summerfest since Conquest is a new feature and Summerfest is just the new event... buuuut I digress.

Summerfest was a cool idea in my mind and I liked how it felt more casual/laid-back with the dailies and whatnot. It felt like it wasn't really given enough time to be developed and really shine though. Even with hotfixes some of the scavenger hunts were just downright painful/annoying when it seemed like the Scavenger Event stuff was primarily supposed to be random fun exploration-based activities. Also felt that they could have offered more variety in the dailies, since all but one of them required working on your fishing/survival professions. The bug stomping was a good step (pun not intended) in the right direction, but we've already seen that done in the Carnival Ascended with the balloon popping. . . Plus it seemed odd/out of place for there to be two dailies that mandated you having the Ascend-a-Friend mount + pet.

I guess overall it didn't really scream "Summer event" to me, outside of the misc. fun items you could get from the vendor, the name of the event, and the fact that it does take place during summer. Would've been fun to see some summer-themed cosmetics/pets, for instance.

Overall Summerfest gave off vibes that it wasn't very well planned out, or at the least it felt like it was rushed out to fit in with the rest of the patch. I enjoyed it still, don't get me wrong, but to me it felt like it could have been much better. Hopefully next year it will be improved upon and maybe we'll be able to at least get some sunglasses?

Personally though, if there was one thing I disliked most about the event, it was the player attitudes toward it. I'm not sure if it's because Trion's spoiled us with a handful of awesome events in the past, some people just like to whine/troll, or some players are really just -that- self-entitled, buuut... there's really no need to tear down Trion with insults and whatnot just because the event wasn't something you personally enjoyed.
    Last edited by Zengar Zombolt; 07-26-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    Sorenthaz@Faeblight
    Level 60 High Elf Mage (Guardian)

I completely agree with you Zengar! I actually had a lot of fun during the whole event and worked on the dailies and achievements every day after work. Of course a few of the scavanger hunt quests were pretty frustrating for me, since I like to do everything all at once and not casually saunter through a zone every few minutes to check. I was rather impatient, wanting to get all my boglings in one go, or find all my Shimmer treasure in one lap. But I realize that it was probably intended as something casual you work at for about 10 minutes than give it a break. The first part of scavanger hunt was actually really awesome, and I didn't have a problem with the second one once I took to only working on it in segments.

The pets I sadly didn't have time to look for! The only ones I have are the mouse, which I found totally by accident in Stonefield, and the black coyote, which I bought through the random pet box the night before Summerfest went off. I'm pretty depressed that I missed out on all the rest of the amazing pets and I wish there was more time to collect them all!

Also, yes Summerfest didn't feel like a summer-specific event. There were no actual "fun in the sun" type events or activities. Like I have the awesome idea of a waterslide? Or a waterfall to swim down maybe? Or a sprinkler even! And maybe a 'sitting at the beach while using sunscreen' type activity, or some kind of sport. That would be really fun I think.

I also resented the Ascend-a-Friend dailies. I of course have the dog, the hat and the flame horse myself so I did the dailies, but what about those who didnt do Ascend-a-Friend? It wasn't fair that they didn't get a chance to participate in those dailies. And the flame horse race was pretty fun actually.

That's my take on it! Overall I really did have fun and it was a nice diversion from the usual RIFT activities I'm always trying to cram into my day. I look forward to more such seasonal or holiday type events! *cheers*

~~Nether

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    The problems people had with the main city mazes was a L2P issue, I never had a problem there.
    My problem was that it was annoying with the camera jumping about everywhere... it was a change to the norm the first time but needing to do it 4+ times a day got annoying really fast. I suppose that was the theme of the patch though, oversights, laziness, bugs and generally finding a way to piss every person off, no matter wether you just do world pve quests, are a completionist, raid, or PvP.

So, uh, no I did not enjoy this Summerfest patch.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zengar Zombolt View Post
    Don't really see how complaints about Conquest fit in with enjoying Summerfest since Conquest is a new feature and Summerfest is just the new event... buuuut I digress.
    A thread without conquest QQ is no thread at all!

Rift Disciple

Could of been better, happy it leveled up my fishing to 300 finally. Glad is only had 2 phases not 3.

compared to the other events i've done (waves of madness, carnival, the life one, and the christmas one) this was a bigger flop than vista! the quests were laid out well but the application sucked. too few beetles to start, too few gold nodes in scarlet gorge, trying to find a single tree in a forest that looks like all the others with no distinguishable features, running up and down mountains while being timed trying to find one person while being dismounted constantly, need i go on?

i would have suffered through it and not said anything (kinda like i always do) but this time there was no reward to make it worth suffering through. a couple of hats that arent dyeable, a health/mana restore thats on such an insanely long cd its wothless, a single title, a stick that makes you a shambler, that was it right? no mount, no equipable items (other than the 13 or 26 hit/focus weapons that are useless to anybody but fresh 50's or the low level items that are soulbound not BoA).

then for the regular dailys you pick fishing, more fishing, beetle stomping, and survival which uses items you get from fishing. i for one hate fishing (my highest fishing level across 4 50's and 3 30's is 41) so i didnt do that quest, well guess what that prevented me from doing 2 of the other dailys leaving me with beetle stomping as my only event daily(which i couldnt do until they increased the number of beetles to an insane amount). seriously if your going to put than many beetles in a zone make them wonder the zone(multiple spawn locations?) so they arent all crammed on top each other. i agree that since fishing and survival are new skills they should have been added to the event but not 75% of the dailys based solely on fishing and its fished up items (that were BoA preventing people from selling them to people like me).

the maze was a good idea but it was too cramped and with the way rifts camera system works unless you had your camera pointed straight at the ground you couldnt see anything and could possibly be induced into an epileptic seizure due to the constant camera jerking. if you try the maze idea again use below sanctum/meridan for an underground maze and make it huge so you can see properly that way if people get lost its their own fault (possibly have a maze map as an event item?).

i did like the set up of the quest line though where you pick one quest to start you on all the other quests and i hope trion brings it back in future events. the wondering pets was another good idea i hope gets repeated, just make the timers a little bit longer between spawns.

No

1. The hedge maze
    2. The extremely low currency drop rate
    3. The very high prices on the event vendor
    4. The very low sunplant leaves drop rate
    5. The poorly designed scavenger hunt quests
    6. The extra loot for Ascend-a-Friend people only
    7. The RNG companion pets

The Summer Swarm zone event in Ember Isle was the only fun part.

I think it's pretty obvious that whoever was in charge of this world event has never been involved in any of the other world events. And if they were...wow.

I'm actually afraid of 1.10 and what terrible stuff it might bring, since apparently all the devs that know what they're doing are locked in a room working on Storm Legion.
    Deepwood | Aschana | H1325 | PA1427 | R94 | 20017 pts
    ~ Dedicated Chloromancer ~

i liked some of it and disliked other aspects. it seemed more disjointed than other events. the scavenger hunts were either super easy or annoying as all get out. no in between. it didnt seem to really have a rhyme or reason to it. that and honestly i was disappointed in the rewards. there was little that we have not seen time n time again or that you just HAD to have. I know some people really like the costume stuff.. but its silly to me. I want stats.. i want perks. with wardrobe slots.. i dont really care often what the gear looks like. I also did not like we couldnt get things from events past to get the rainbow achievement. Was a bit disappointing for achieve hunter like me.
    Mariposita - Lead - Order of Paragon - Deepwood - Guild Level 25
    www.paragon.mmochiefs.com

Rift Master

Horrible. Scavenger hunts were boring and annoying. Quests requiring fishing which is stupidly boring. I had no interest in the event

A resounding No! Worst event to date. Not fun, not eventful, not summery, not finished (clearly). I disliked it for reasons I have posted elsewhere and that are basically covered in this thread already. I would like to reiterate, though, that the price for the lessers was absurd given how stingy the currency rewards were and the fact that it was almost impossible to get ISS while half the playerbase was doing Conquest and the other half camping spawns. The price should have been at most what it was in the last world event. This world event, unlike all the others, diverted people away from rather than to zone events.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

I only liked it cause I got tons of shard firsts off of it.

Other than that, I feel Summerfest was the worst world event we've had thus far. The Scavenger Hunts were particularly awful and unfun. Namely Scarwood Part 1 and Shimmersand Part 2. Both of which were complained about significantly prior to the patch. And still went live in a totally awful state.
    Last edited by Sonoko; 07-26-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    (V)    (V)
    ミ(◕‿◕。)彡

I just wanted a Bikini costume and all... That was really missing blah
    Hey there, im no one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast