Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: The Lag has to stop! Reasons as follows

Soulwalker

Default The Lag has to stop! Reasons as follows

I am not sure exactly why Trion runs servers in 2012 that have performance issues as poorly as they have been running and are now currently None playable for Guilds trying to complete raid content.

I am an old gamer from Atari forward to 1998 when I played a game called Battlezone. The CD is dated 1995.

I used to play that game with a 1 core CPU and about two 512MB memory sticks and a 16MB up to a 32MB graphics card.

I currently play Rift on a 6 Core CPU with 8Gig of hardware RAM and a GPU that has over 1.5 Gig's of onboard DDR5 Memory factory overclocked.

Rift right now is running at 14 fps in Sanctum and only 45-60 FPS in Ember Isle or in a Raid. As we can all understand the performance is absolutely Horrible for a New MMO. There is No excuse for this kind of performance Issue and TRION needs to Pay their ISP or close the game.

Trion is running traffic shaping in game and using players Broadband to support players that are stealing their Neighbours Wi-Fi to play. Graphics card FPS is now in MMO's combined with Connection latency and once your Latency is over a certain amount the game auto drops players. If your FPS drops below a certain level the Server thinks your connection is failing and again drops the player off the server.

In a 20 man raid you might have 18 players on Broadband and the game code is stealing your Paid ISP subscription speeds to support some degenerate that is hanging on to the game on a coffee shop connection.

The traffic shaping done by Trion is absurd in the fact that they do not even pay their own ISP that supports the game server's for proper bandwidth to start off with. A 20 MB down connection and 5 MB up connection can ping 15-30 ping all the way to the Rift login server then see ping spikes of over 900 while doing a trace route or dos ping.

The Bottleneck is exactly at Trion and Trion has been accused since Beta of not supplying their paying subscribers a workable Networking platform to play on.

Trion stop manipulating Players connections that pay hundreds of dollars a month in subscription fee's to their ISP's on top of the Monthly or yearly subscription to play Rift.

Take the handcuff's off the people that are paying to play your game and stop the other degenerates that steal Wi-Fi networking or other means to get online simply drop off the game. We do not need the extra tax on our paid for connection's put in place by Trion FPS/MS traffic shaping.

Increase the bandwidth usage you are Not currently paying your own ISP to support the game you are asking the public to pay you to play.

It's only fair to the players and in Trion's best interest if they do not want to see Rift fade away.

The current increase of players leaving poor MMO's elsewhere and showing up in Rift by the thousands is killing the game for the hard-core dedicated gamer fan base that has been supporting Trion for the last two years.

If you want to keep those players and the new player increase it's about time you upgraded your servers and paid a few ISP bill's at your end of the network.

DOS pings and trace routes don't lie you know the issue and so do the players so fix it!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Layloo View Post
    I am not sure exactly why Trion runs servers in 2012 that have performance issues as poorly as they have been running and are now currently None playable for Guilds trying to complete raid content.

I am an old gamer from Atari forward to 1998 when I played a game called Battlezone. The CD is dated 1995.

I used to play that game with a 1 core CPU and about two 512MB memory sticks and a 16MB up to a 32MB graphics card.

I currently play Rift on a 6 Core CPU with 8Gig of hardware RAM and a GPU that has over 1.5 Gig's of onboard DDR5 Memory factory overclocked.

Rift right now is running at 14 fps in Sanctum and only 45-60 FPS in Ember Isle or in a Raid. As we can all understand the performance is absolutely Horrible for a New MMO. There is No excuse for this kind of performance Issue and TRION needs to Pay their ISP or close the game.

Trion is running traffic shaping in game and using players Broadband to support players that are stealing their Neighbours Wi-Fi to play. Graphics card FPS is now in MMO's combined with Connection latency and once your Latency is over a certain amount the game auto drops players. If your FPS drops below a certain level the Server thinks your connection is failing and again drops the player off the server.

In a 20 man raid you might have 18 players on Broadband and the game code is stealing your Paid ISP subscription speeds to support some degenerate that is hanging on to the game on a coffee shop connection.

The traffic shaping done by Trion is absurd in the fact that they do not even pay their own ISP that supports the game server's for proper bandwidth to start off with. A 20 MB down connection and 5 MB up connection can ping 15-30 ping all the way to the Rift login server then see ping spikes of over 900 while doing a trace route or dos ping.

The Bottleneck is exactly at Trion and Trion has been accused since Beta of not supplying their paying subscribers a workable Networking platform to play on.

Trion stop manipulating Players connections that pay hundreds of dollars a month in subscription fee's to their ISP's on top of the Monthly or yearly subscription to play Rift.

Take the handcuff's off the people that are paying to play your game and stop the other degenerates that steal Wi-Fi networking or other means to get online simply drop off the game. We do not need the extra tax on our paid for connection's put in place by Trion FPS/MS traffic shaping.

Increase the bandwidth usage you are Not currently paying your own ISP to support the game you are asking the public to pay you to play.

It's only fair to the players and in Trion's best interest if they do not want to see Rift fade away.

The current increase of players leaving poor MMO's elsewhere and showing up in Rift by the thousands is killing the game for the hard-core dedicated gamer fan base that has been supporting Trion for the last two years.

If you want to keep those players and the new player increase it's about time you upgraded your servers and paid a few ISP bill's at your end of the network.

DOS pings and trace routes don't lie you know the issue and so do the players so fix it!
    Just a heads up. You have no idea what you're talking about. The fps issues are due to object rendering, if you have latency issues it's your connection not Trions. I'm sure they have a backbone that can more than support the current playerbase. Where are you getting this information?

Also how are players with good circuits supporting people playing on high-latency ones? Do you even know what traffic shaping is or what it does/is for? I'm sure Trion has some sort of traffic shaping policy (for network management to REDUCE bottlenecks) but I don't see how it's harming players with good connections to help players with poor ones. Also there is no latency to fps policy or anything similar. You can drop to 0-1 fps and still stay in game (I've done it plenty during Conquest and my latency is usually around 60-70ms on a cable circuit).

If you wonder how I know you have no clue what you're talking about, it was this sentence that gave it away:

"DOS pings and trace routes don't lie you know the issue and so do the players so fix it!"

Traceroutes can show varied latencies depending on the path and rules set within that path. Your packets could be getting low priority (I'm surprised they made it back at all) or you could have ISP or local network issues yourself (I'm sure you're not running enterprise Cisco/Juniper equipment at home). I'm not sure what you mean by "DOS ping", do you mean a ping-of-death or that you're sending denial-of-service attacks against Trions outer router? Either way there are many reasons that this would show high latency, few of which count in the performance of Trions internal network or external circuit.

Feel free to prove me wrong by showing me your analysis of Trions network performance. I'm sure if you're such a genius engineer Trion will be happy to hire you to solve all of their networking issues.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Asterisk42 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "DOS ping", do you mean a ping-of-death or that you're sending denial-of-service attacks against Trions outer router? Either way there are many reasons that this would show high latency, few of which count in the performance of Trions internal network or external circuit.
    I am pretty sure since he (and I for that matter) remember playing the Atari 2600 that he was playing on computers back when they still ran MS DOS like I was. Therefore my assumption is that he means going to a DOS prompt and using the ping command instead of using some windows based tool.

Rift Disciple

Ah okay. And I just reread his post. lol

I used to run Tie Fighter and Wolf 3d on my cyrix386 70Mhz (100 Mhz TURBO!!), 8MB RAM (was amazing), SoundBlaster X16, and RAGE(I think?) SVGA card. It was my first build and I was so proud of it. lol

I never bought the Atari but I had a C64 with like a thousand games (thousands and thousands of floppies) that I didn't get rid of until like 10 years ago. Wish I'd have kept it though.

I do wish Trion could do something about my 1-6 fps in Conquest battles but I guess I can't really expect much playing on an A8 laptop.

im at a loss on how to fix my conquest lag. im running quad core AMD phenomII, 16Gb of RAM, 2 GB video card, and i can hit a whopping 1 fps in conquest.........any tricks on how to improve this? i have tried reduced video setting to no avail so i dont think its a render issue, any suggestions would be nice.
    conquest is the end of pvp at the moment

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Merkabah View Post
    im at a loss on how to fix my conquest lag. im running quad core AMD phenomII, 16Gb of RAM, 2 GB video card, and i can hit a whopping 1 fps in conquest.........any tricks on how to improve this? i have tried reduced video setting to no avail so i dont think its a render issue, any suggestions would be nice.
    try turning friendly Names off that might cut down on the lag a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkabah View Post
    In short, a Phenom II is a slow, old CPU. Rift being a 32 bit game only uses 2GB of RAM so having 16GB of RAM is useless. Having a top end GPU with a slow CPU is also equally as useless as your performance is limited by the capabilities of your CPU. I can't count how many times I've seen people on the tech forums complain about poor performance and say they have a Phenom II. It is an old, outdated CPU.

Telaran

You would have a point if people with top end rigs were not seeing issues as well, which some are.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    In short, a Phenom II is a slow, old CPU. Rift being a 32 bit game only uses 2GB of RAM so having 16GB of RAM is useless. Having a top end GPU with a slow CPU is also equally as useless as your performance is limited by the capabilities of your CPU. I can't count how many times I've seen people on the tech forums complain about poor performance and say they have a Phenom II. It is an old, outdated CPU.
    When are you guys going to get it?? When Conquest fires up people raiding in HK get lagged so badly they can't continue. That's all server side and has nothing ... absolutely nothing ... to do with what kind of hardware the subscriber is using. Have you even been playing the game lately?? If you were, you wouldn't be telling everyone their CPU cache isn't large enough or that their video card is outdated.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Grimt View Post
    When are you guys going to get it?? When Conquest fires up people raiding in HK get lagged so badly they can't continue. That's all server side and has nothing ... absolutely nothing ... to do with what kind of hardware the subscriber is using. Have you even been playing the game lately?? If you were, you wouldn't be telling everyone their CPU cache isn't large enough or that their video card is outdated.
    I agree it has to be server side. I only run a duo-core system and I have been running diagnostics in the background while in Conquest and I find that only one of my two cores is maxed and the other is below 50%, less than half my memory is being used, my GPU is not maxed either. So the problem has to be on the server side.

Soulwalker

You are correct Linkdead.

Of my six cores set in the rfit.cfg to run as 0 to enable all cores or set as 6 either works, my CPU is not maxed at all on any core.

My Video RAM in HK runs at about 4% of 100 and my Hardware RAM is only using about 10% of total available hardware memory.

Again with my High Speed connection I can ping 30 ping all the way to Trion then it flips upside down and turns into a Cow Pile of fudge.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Untrue, being large address aware Rift can use 4GB of RAM. Otherwise true statements.

Ascendant

FPS has very little, if nothing, to do with network latancy. Merkabah complained of 1FPS.

And I too have said that the problem lies with the server in this case. However, I am also an IT hardware guy by degree. When someone complains about performance and lists what the OP listed... there is no fix for him. Even if the servers worked. I take things one step at a time. Yes, the server is causing widespread lag but a Phenom II still can't run Rift at levels that I would consider minimally acceptable in the best of server conditions.

Default I'm not a techie but...

I have had severe problems with latency every time conquest begins. I am running an AMD Anthlon 2 tri core with 6 gig ram and a 3g modem for internet service. I did not have any problems with Rift until they came out with conquest. I have been kicked from server multiple times even times when I was standing in Ember Ilse doing nothing. Like I said I'm not a techie but I do know that if it worked before conquest and not after then conquest is the constant variable.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast