Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Expansion pack - new 50 - 60 zones.

Rift Disciple

Default Expansion pack - new 50 - 60 zones.

I've got a question or two that I hope I can find an answer too. I've tried searching and yielded no results (could have searched incorrectly ). Anyway..

Was it mentioned anywhere how difficult would it be for the new 50 - 60 leveling zones? Example, will it be very difficult for a fresh level 50 to just continue into these new zones? Or will they need to gear up to even stand a chance (ala when EI dropped)? Thank you very much and I'm so sorry if this has been discussed, just didn't come up with anything on a search. Thanks!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
    I've got a question or two that I hope I can find an answer too. I've tried searching and yielded no results (could have searched incorrectly ). Anyway..

Was it mentioned anywhere how difficult would it be for the new 50 - 60 leveling zones? Example, will it be very difficult for a fresh level 50 to just continue into these new zones? Or will they need to gear up to even stand a chance (ala when EI dropped)? Thank you very much and I'm so sorry if this has been discussed, just didn't come up with anything on a search. Thanks!
    I hope that the 50-51 area is harder than EI, and it just keeps getting harder from there.
    Last edited by Sariina; 06-11-2012 at 10:21 AM.

They have not really given any info in this regard.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

As far as I know we've not seen any official comments on it. So we don't really know yet
    Personally I wouldn't mind the zones being a bit tough, I really do miss the consequences for failing a zone event being a bit more.. Well, consequence like. Yes, it might have been a bit too rough when the game launched but these days it hardly seems like there's any consequence to losing, some footholds remain but they are very easy to kill and even then it's not that many. I suppose it's difficult to find the right mix, on one hand you don't want players to be unable to go through a zone at all and thus stall their levelling, and on the other hand it shouldn't be a breeze either.
    Tasia, Leader of The Clandestine Community @ Argent EU.
    I like to show off dimensions - Latest Video: Bahmi Home
    Roleplayers from Argent, check Rift Roleplayers EU - new info hub!

Mobs on EI are level 52, so maybe lvls 50-52 will take place on EI. For the people who've been playing on EI for a while, they'll probably be able to go straight into lvl 53 quests in the new areas.

If no leveling's gonna take place on EI, then new people won't have any reason to go there and the whole island will just end up being a redundant landmass with no people on it at all.

Rift Disciple

Well I agree that the harder mobs would be challenge. But also consider this. What if your a brand new player to Rift, have the expansion pack, etc and are a fresh level 50. Yet you want to continue questing with the new quests in the new zone and get to level 60.

Would that mean you would have to pause, run experts, raids, etc. just to get geared up in order to tackle the new content? I think it would be awkward to have that pause there just to get geared to tackle content just as difficult as EI for a fresh 50 in the new leveling zones, rather than just smoothly, casually working your way into the new leveling zones.

I don't know, I just confused myself typing all that out. I was just wondering if it had been discussed. Thank you very much!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUniverse View Post
    Mobs on EI are level 52, so maybe lvls 50-52 will take place on EI. For the people who've been playing on EI for a while, they'll probably be able to go straight into lvl 53 quests in the new areas.

If no leveling's gonna take place on EI, then new people won't have any reason to go there and the whole island will just end up being a redundant landmass with no people on it at all.
    That's actually a pretty good point. Since the mobs are face roll easy in raid gear, and solo-able in level 48 gear (at level 50) it might make sense for the new areas to be 53+. I hadn't thought about that approach, but it seems pretty reasonable.

Edit: @goombatommy . . . No, consider you get to 50 going through the mainland story, and if you have the expansion wouldn't stop gaining XP as you go through EI you'd probably be 52-53 before you move along to the newer areas.
    Last edited by Sariina; 06-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Soulwalker

Assuming Trion goes with the standart way, leveling between 49-50 and 50-51 won't have much difference.

The ones with raid gear will just progress a little bit faster, and will start replacing the end-game gear with blues from new content.

If Trion has some new tricks up their sleeves, than I have no idea.

The trouble is that EI is quite a steep curve in terms of difficulty so my hope would be for ease of transition that there was an area before EI from level 50 - 52 because lets be honest, you cant go from quest greens of our current 50 content straight into EI and have a smooth experience.

I am aware that most of us outgear that transition now but in terms of future levelers and alts - also to not scare off new players there needs to be slightly easier content in between.

Just my thoughts.
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by faye007 View Post
    The trouble is that EI is quite a steep curve in terms of difficulty so my hope would be for ease of transition that there was an area before EI from level 50 - 52 because lets be honest, you cant go from quest greens of our current 50 content straight into EI and have a smooth experience.

I am aware that most of us outgear that transition now but in terms of future levelers and alts - also to not scare off new players there needs to be slightly easier content in between.

Just my thoughts.
    This is exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you faye. Take a new player, purely casual who doesn't raid and maybe runs one or two expert dungeons. The way it is now, there will need to be a pause between pure zone/quest leveling, because every player will have to run experts in order to survive comfortably through EI; or the new quest zones themselves (yet to be determined because there is no info on this yet, but pretend for a second this was the case).

I personally don't mind the challenge because my warrior can hold his own, but I do have a co-worker to prompted me this question, is new to the game and I was just wondering if there was an answer or feedback, suggestions to it. Thanks!

Rift Master

People seem to forget that a lot of shimmersand is level 50....

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Drigr View Post
    People seem to forget that a lot of shimmersand is level 50....
    and that you can solo EI mobs at 50 in the level 48 planar gear . . . which if you even do one instant adventure set you probably have anyway. If you happen to only wnat to quest you turn 50 before the end of the quests too, so by the time you et to EI you probably will be about 52 anyway . . . at which point it will be just like any other area.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    and that you can solo EI mobs at 50 in the level 48 planar gear . . . which if you even do one instant adventure set you probably have anyway. If you happen to only wnat to quest you turn 50 before the end of the quests too, so by the time you et to EI you probably will be about 52 anyway . . . at which point it will be just like any other area.
    This ^

My most recent level 50 got there post-Instant Adventures. By running IA's I *EASILY* got into the level 48 transplanar stuff by level 48. I ran IAs for one or two cycles, no more than three, when I'd log in. At 50, I headed out to EI still wearing the transplanar gear. Could I solo as easily as my other level 50s who were wearing the original T2 dungeon gear? No. But could I solo without losing my mind over how hard it was? Absolutely.

Like any other gear-driven MMORPG, what you wear determines your power. Rift has made a very simple and easy path for the solo player to become sufficiently powerful to go play on Ember Isle. (If you don't like IAs, I could have accomplished the same thing by farming rifts and invasions, or in PvP.)

I understand what you are saying but im unsure there will be enough content to make it new player friendly - we have to hope that the expac will attract new players and they may not have the know how to get the gear needed to make it comfortable. I dont know, im sure its been thought of by Trion either way. Just mentioned it as usually the new content judging from other mmos and expacs is that theres also a farly big jump in xp rewards in new content to go with the larger xp pool needed to level - who knows what the leveling path will bw but i hope all old content like EI will be incorporated.
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

Plane Touched

Don't forget that tradeskills are going up as well, which means there will likely be an easy to craft set of green gear in the 51-55 range and another in the 56-60 range (and then the harder to make level 60 blues and purples). Wouldn't surprise me to see those player made greens (akin to spellspun or carmitium for upper 40s-50) to be of sufficient quality to make things like EI quite reasonable.

So a new character would follow the Shimmer / Stillmore quest arcs, likely hit 52ish before they are done, pick up some player made greens and wade into the new stuff.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast