+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Is rift not receiving the attention it deserves?

Telaran

Default Is rift not receiving the attention it deserves?

As I sit here with my cup of tea, I was wondering why are all our EU servers low - medium, shouldn't they all be high? Shouldn't game have alot more attention then this?

I played rift at the very beginning and got to about level 42 and got bored, I got bored because it felt to grindy - i'v been there, done that - and so I left. After arriving back for an extra 3 days (thanks to the security change) I have seen what a huge difference just over a year has made.

We have had 7 major content patches. SEVEN! and they have all been extremely well received and the amount of content that goes into these is astounding. Trion really are taking the MMO customer service trait and just turning it on its head. I have never seen such commitment to an MMO before in my life. This doesn't just boil down to the amount of content they are given us - and how fast - but it is a big part of it. But it also includes little things like offering collectors edition content for a price, giving us free bonuses for merely changing our password, given us exclusive rewards for our dedication and commitment. Taking our feedback and listening to us plus so much more!

Its for these reasons why I have resubbed and am having an immense time playing the game, all the new features from the group finder to the instant adventures, from the chronicles to the fishing. Its all real great stuff and thanks alot Trion for being such a top, top class MMO production team.

I feel like this game needs more advertising, needs more publicity, if more people knew about Trion and Rift I believe the game would be beaming with life!

Just my 2 cents : )

Disclaimer: I am in no way saying this game is underpopulated. simply stating that I feel like it could be alot more populated then it currently is.

Soulwalker

I agree that Trion and Rift don't get near the coverage they deserve. I hate to bring this issue into this thread, but it really does apply. This is why I have absolutely zero problem paying for an expansion. I know some of the proceeds from it will go towards funding a PR/Advertising campaign to promote the expansion and Rift as a whole.

It blows my mind how people complain about the low population, how Rift is dieing etc. Then they turn around and complain about having to pay for the expansion. People don't realize the cost of promoting something properly. Your sub fees go towards keeping the game running, I'm sure there's little left over for advertising. A paid expansion is going to do great things for the game's population.

I agree with the statement that Rift isn't getting enough attention. So many people wrote it off as being "just another (generic title here)" and they do not get to see or appreciate all of the hard work Trion has put into making this game even better.
    In the midst of E3, Gw2 hype and several other titles expanding/announcing/releasing, Trion's voice doesn't seem strong at all. Even the expansion only got a bare minimum of space in the news, it seems.

Ascendant

You can help them promoting the game yourself too, post on facebook, on twitter in user comentary of gaming websites, on forums etc. tell your friends, the friends of your friends, your neighbour your family etc. etc. etc.
    Last edited by Antigonos; 06-05-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Rift needs an episode of South Park dedicated to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    You can help them promoting the game yourself too, post on facebook, on twitter in user comentary of gaming websites, on forums etc. tell your friends, the friends of your friends, your neighbour your family etc. etc. etc.
    If I talk more about Rift, I might as well turn into a walking advertisement board ;)
    Nah, just pretty sure I've driven a few friends crazy along the lines

Rift Chaser

WoW, SWtoR, AoC and WAR are the only games I know of to have sold more copies in the first month, and these are all titles with huge IPs. It sold better than EQ2 or LOTRO though. And with all their promotions and specials an patches well over a million have tried this game, and since that was as of august (I think) its likely at least 1.5 million by now. Trion is extremely well known and well respected amongst MMO Gamers, because other games are filled with people who played Rift, didn't like it, but heap praise on Trion.

I just think Trion made some key blunders with Rift that severely hurt its long term appeal and addictiveness to most people, which is why Rift has low retention despite its quality. Rift has lower population than people feel it should not beause it doesnt get attention, its simply not what many people are looking for.
    Last edited by Ashina; 06-05-2012 at 01:42 PM.

I'm starting to think that Rift has a glaring flaw with its design, which is ultimately what is preventing it from being successful on a larger scale. When I came to Rift, I never thought about games in terms of gear or character progression. It was always about, "What can I do next to have fun?" Now it's always about what action can I do in-game that will net me some progression toward XYZ reward.

The effort vs. reward model is so closely intertwined with how the game functions that I can barely separate myself from it. The closest thing I have found yet to "just having fun" (no rewards involved) is messing around with wardrobe and that's a solo activity, not a group activity. I can think of maybe one group activity - RPing - that has no inherent character progression and the key is that it's a community driven activity.

It's hard to summarize the problem because there are many aspects of it that are failing to create longevity. Public chat full of rampant trolling and ego fighting is one. Lack of leadership in communities, typically meaning that the closest thing to what drives a community on a given server is a hardcore raid/PvP/RP guild, the first two often being filled with trolls and egos. A too-small world to explore and play in. Not enough reason to explore instead of sitting around in protected hubs (rested XP anyone?).

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Rift in a lot of ways and they've done a lot of things really well, but although their customer service is solid, their communities are not. When someone logs into the game only to raid and then logs off, it speaks volumes about the sort of environment they're playing in. The message is clear: I only want to associate with my guild and close friends during our chosen favorite activity.

I try to promote it to friends (you should be paying me Trion... No seriously, hire me. lol) but they are locked up into games like D3, and have a bad taste in their mouth after the, admittedly, horrible levelling experience.

They are also invested into WoW and most people have trouble leaving from one MMO to another, because honestly, it's a lot of time invested, it's like moving.
    There's also the problem of friends who won't leave and going to a new MMO where you know no one is a barrier to many.

I personally didn't care and like trying new things, so I gave the game a shot and freakin' love it, but sometimes the risk is too much for people.

Should this game get more attention, definitely. Which is probably the secondary purpose of the Xpac (first being extra revenue), but I don't know how much it will when MMO market is super competitive (even with Trions own games)

On the plus side, they are clearly doing well enough that they are earning money and investing in an xpac. So this game doesn't really need 5 million subs to succeed...Though that would be awesome....

Don't think they haven't made their own mistakes that brought them to this (lower) level of attention.

I love Rift, and it launched smoothly, but it was made with a design that just, does, not, work with many players.

Oftentimes when my friends see me playing or I mention I play Rift, I get "...oh I think I heard of that game, how is it?"

I'll promote the game, I might get someone to play a free trial, but I've only ever gotten 1 person to subscribe and make it to 50. Most of them will log in for a couple hours, then drop it completely and go back to whatever flavor of the month game they're playing. The sad thing is, Rift brings plenty of refreshing features to the MMO base but it can go unnoticed until you actually get deep into the game.

It's a good game and deserves a higher profile. I played EvE for 7 years never played wow other than a trial and I find it great fun. The bitter vet stage is far away for me.

Sirkhan

Soulwalker

I started watching gamebreaker.tv episodes of The Sanctum about two weeks before the hosts stopped making episodes and started casting shows for SWTOR. Then I was like...

I thought The Sanctum was a well-produced show and a good way to promote Rift, by extension. So as a start, I advise convincing Gary Gannon, Taugrim, et al to start making them again.

i think issue is , how rift looks isnt suitable for everyones flavour , like its fark sad emo theme and story just big meh , i hve same question on my mind wondering why is it happening ?! but as i progress ingame i see its always dark/sad mehy emo , just give u the UGH feeling , game combat isnt interactive or hyper like other games i played say AION has WAAAAAY cooler , awesomful colourfull combat from skill effect/mechanism rather rift does , so yeh rift combat = plain dull/booring

I think it really comes down to game review site and gaming forums comments, as well as people's initial experience a month into Rift. People were complaining about no end-game - and so a lot of people who had rushed to 50 during Headstart left. Their opinion of Rift probably hasn't changed.

As for game review sites and gaming forum comments - I assume most people who enjoy Rift are either playing Rift, or on the Rift forums. As such, you get a large skew towards negative comments from people who played the game during the first 30 days or so and didn't really like it, and feel like posting their opinions in every new news article or video that is related to Rift.
    Prospective players look at those comments and think - oh, maybe I shouldn't try this then.

There's also the new players and the leveling up process. Queues for dungeons are probably quite long, especially since most new players will likely fall back to dps as it is the easier option (compared to tanking or healing) and because there aren't a lot of people at their level. This will dishearten them. No doubt.
    Few people leveling up with them will also dishearten them.
    PvP Warfronts with twinks made queues faster, but also meant that new players were roflstomped as they are (obviously) still learning their class and are unable to compete with the builds, experience, resources that twinks possess. This will be eliminated in 1.9, but no doubt this will also mean much longer queues.

All in all, a new player right now probably feels the game is dead - and if they can't trudge along to level 50, or if they don't find a good, social guild in time - they are likely to leave.
    Last edited by Jonus; 06-05-2012 at 06:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast