+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Storm Legion & Planar Attunement - what's the deal?

I bet level > PA from 50-60. For those with time to grind, baby carrots aka PA seems to be a worthwhile reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon0028 View Post
    I heard an interesting theory/idea I'd like to share and expand on:

A slider.

This slidebar allows you to select a percentage, ranging from 0-90%, of how much XP goes into your active leveling, and how much goes towards PA exp. Once you reach the new level cap, the slidebar is obviously inactive.

Thoughts?
    Loved the xp/aa slider in eq2 but there the aa were significant abilities not an hour ginding for one int

the only use i can see for puting all your exp into pa's at low levels would be a way of getting around the removal of level locking.

Quote Originally Posted by Will5757 View Post
    a slider for a exp split doesn't really do much, my concern mainly lies with how far they are going to go with PA, i never did play EQ, but i've heard of the issues they had with AA (namely once it get's too powerful you can either balance raids around having x amount, and cutting new players out of the new raids for however many month's it takes them to grind to that number, or you can balance around little to none, in whichcase ppl with high AA facerolled content)

i don't want to see either happen, which means either a method for ppl to catch up quickly, or removal of the whole thing

a xpac is the perfect chance to do things like this.
    Regretably there is NOTHING you can do to prevent the "required" bit tbh. Right now I would argue that from an objective view just looking at content it is not technically required. That said devs have said their goal for the callings is to have them equal in performance if "...equally geared, played AND Planar Attuned." This dynamics mean that some guilds will set requirements regardless of whether the content demands it or not. Sorry but it's simply unavoidable at this point.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Champion

they should just scrap PA in compensation they should just give X amount of exp for X amount of PA levels.

For instance, I am by far not a hardcore pa grinder on my toons i have about 500 PA levels. say that would get me level 52 or something. someone with max PA gets 54 upon release.

Id be rather pissed if they scrap PA and didnt compensate in some sort of exp or currency (planarite = exp)

just a regular raiders two cents

Rift Chaser

I don't think Trion would scrap Planar levelling without any compensation at all as loads of players would get rather cross as it does take some time to get

It certainly does make a quantum difference - sure in the first pane the point obtained seem only a few points here and there but it adds up and unlike amour, other equipment/enchants, and weapons etc it is a permanent increase in stats

But in terms of a barrier to entry relating to new players it can start to become substantial at high levels

Hence Trion may have to do something about it

My best guess is you will continue to acquire it from 50 to 60 at a slightly faster rate the idea being new players will acquire enough by level 60 to be broadly sufficient to existing players - yes the maths do sort of work out

Abolishing it without compensation will cause trouble, abolishing it with meaningful compensation will give existing players a big advantage over new players - both these outcomes would be unfair

Hence my logic

Oh yes on edit........

It follows the most effective way we could plan for the expansion is more planar levelling as it will help us level from 50 to 60 - if my guess is right
    Last edited by Gardy; 06-06-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    They don't need more PAs. lol Unlike what some people here say, I really doubt most people are even done PA level 2 on just ONE PA, let alone all of them.

Yeah there are some who are crazy and are maxed out, but I bet you anything they are a tiny fraction of the player base.
    I must be one of those crazy folk.......nearly 400 lvls in attunements ......i dont do dungeons and ive still got most of the armour i made or got at lvl50.....the attunement made the diff from me being wiped a lot in ember isle to being able to hold a turret area solo agains 3 sets of invasions

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would PA need to be removed or converted when XPac comes out?
    Why wouldn't it just be frozen until you reach the new level cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon0028 View Post
    I heard an interesting theory/idea I'd like to share and expand on:

A slider.

This slidebar allows you to select a percentage, ranging from 0-90%, of how much XP goes into your active leveling, and how much goes towards PA exp. Once you reach the new level cap, the slidebar is obviously inactive.

Thoughts?
    That would be copied from EQ2. They won't allow that here because it would make it possible to level lock, and we can't have that.

I don't see why PA wouldn't just continue on all the way to 60 and beyond. I don't understand why people freak out about it so much. Get it, don't get it. The sky will not fall.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Isildor View Post
    Subject pretty much says it all. I'm really interested in how this all plays out. I mean, for instance, what will happen to say new level 50s when Storm Legion arrives? They never had the chance to raise any PA levels, and then will have to level 10 more levels to get max, and then start leveling PA? Thats going to be a HUGE gap to close between the recent 50 to 60 crowd, and those that have been 50 for sometime now and have pretty much maxed out PA at the time of expansion. Will the 50s with maxed out PA levels just continue on? will PA be remove (my hope), or what?
    Or they could keep PA, add tier 3 to give those maxed out something, but reduce the cost of tier 1 (e.g reduce the cost of filling out each hex by 50) and make t3 much more expensive, so new players can get to a reasonable number of hexes quicker, maxed players are slowed down and generally the gap between them is reduced, but you still get to keep this aspect of progression.
    Last edited by Flimble; 06-06-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madscot View Post
    I must be one of those crazy folk.......nearly 400 lvls in attunements ......i dont do dungeons and ive still got most of the armour i made or got at lvl50.....the attunement made the diff from me being wiped a lot in ember isle to being able to hold a turret area solo agains 3 sets of invasions
    Yes. You're right. You absolutely are crazy. lol

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    Regretably there is NOTHING you can do to prevent the "required" bit tbh. Right now I would argue that from an objective view just looking at content it is not technically required. That said devs have said their goal for the callings is to have them equal in performance if "...equally geared, played AND Planar Attuned." This dynamics mean that some guilds will set requirements regardless of whether the content demands it or not. Sorry but it's simply unavoidable at this point.
    i'm not talking about the "required" guilds might put in (granted that's another thing) i'm say this, let's say, hypothetically that they add more to PA, a year or 2 down the road were now at 10 tiers, which provide 10000ap, which they can either balance around for raids, or not..making the raids either trivial for ppl with max pa, or impossible for those without

PA is well and good, personally i think it offers a little too much in stats atm, but not so much to create the situation i'm talking about.

i don't want to see this game devolve to the point that PA either trivializes content, or locks new ppl out. that's my only real concern with PA

Plane Walker

I hope they add an option to either toggle PA on and off so you either level PA or levels.

Better yet, maybe a way like EQ where AA experience could be throttled, basically changing the values of how much experience is given to PA.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by actionvapor View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why would PA need to be removed or converted when XPac comes out?
    Why wouldn't it just be frozen until you reach the new level cap?
    because when PA was released trion said, this is our way of raising the level cap, instead of actually raising it you can now gain exp towards more stats..

and now there is a level cap increase.. trion = silly

EQ early on had the slider with 10% increments on how to split the experience earned. At 59, I got my 3 points or run speed before switching back to get to 60. That's really the easiest to do: let the players choose how they want to progress.

Although levels are probably going to be so much more bang for the buck that most people will do 100% in leveling xp.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Champion

Right, AA slider came before EQ2 in EQ. It allows a certain flavor of level locking but I don't believe PA makes all that much difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast