+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Expansion: no flying

Default Expansion: no flying

I played WoW for several years before coming to Rift, and I have to say that the one thing I really miss is flying. I was hoping to see flying in the release info for the xpac, but unless I missed it, it's not there. It does say, "new mounts," so I guess I could continue to hope...

The cons for flying have been gone over the past many times, of course. The "it makes the world seem smaller" argument seems a bit silly in game that lets you teleport to at least two spots in every zone (7 or more on EI!)

The one argument against that might have worked is that it hurts PvP, but of course it's easy enough to not allow flying in super low-level zones (and less painful given the porticulums than it was in WoW) so that you don't have high-level folks swooping down out of the sky on unsuspecting newbies... beyond that, there's not much harm done. Yes, I can fly over to you and attack and you can fly over to me and attack...

Plus, of course, we have an example to look at. WoW had flying mounts for many years and while outdoor PvP was about as sparse in WoW as it is in Rift, it wasn't really affected by flying mounts (what DID affect it was the introduction of lots of spread-out high-end content so that people weren't all hanging out in the same place waiting for a raid to start).

On the pro side, flying gives players a sense of control over how and when they take part in the goings-on of the world. It expands the sense of epic adventure by giving players access to the most iconic fantasy shared universally by pretty much all of humanity: the ability to shed the restrictions of gravity.

It also introduces the ability to have a much more "3D world."

Of course, the primary effect on the game design is that it allows for the introduction of a whole new genre of mounts. I'm fine with not getting silly WoW-like giant dragon mounts that take up half the city, but it would certainly be nice to ride one of those gryphons from scarwood.
    Harmil is:
    Mev - 60 Mage (Archon, Harbalist, Chloro) Faeblight
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>
    Gaming blog: http://ajsgaming.blogspot.com/

Instead of flying, you could just increase mount speeds via quests, special mount gear, etc. I'd like to see mount speed increase beyond PA to something like 200%. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, also if you are going to have a spider mount, at least allow the spider mount to pretty much scale and traverse nearly any terrain possible without slipping or falling. If a real spider could do it, so should your spider mount.
    Last edited by Methadras; 06-01-2012 at 10:37 AM.

No. I hate what flying does to a game world. Hateeee it.

However, I'm completely fine with 'gliding' mounts that move at 200% and can still aggro mobs if they're too close to them. I just don't want outright flying, where one can very very easily bypass everything in front of them. This goes completely against Rift's zone event design.

My normal reply is no followed by a hell no, mainly because we have ports all over the place and our world is small as it is. However with the expac more then tripling our world then maybe down the road I can see it being added. Thing is though adding flying to a game that doesn't already have it is a huge undertaking, its not something you just code one day and bam good to go. With new souls and everything coming at us I doubt we will see flying anytime soon.

But yeah if our world was big enough I could see it, and you may feel its silly that flying makes a world feel smaller but it really does imo. Would be nice if they ever do give us flying that its something we have to go catch and raise, eq2 did that and was fun and gave a sense of accomplishment instead of just going to buy a flying mount at a vendor.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Gliding is good, flying is bad...especially for open world PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Methadras View Post
    Instead of flying, you could just increase mount speeds via quests, special mount gear, etc. I'd like to see mount speed increase beyond PA to something like 200%. Just my 2 cents.
    Speed isn't really quite the same, and while I agree that faster mount speeds would be a very good thing, I don't agree that it replaces the benefits of flying.

Oh, also if you are going to have a spider mount, at least allow the spider mount to pretty much scale and traverse nearly any terrain possible without slipping or falling. If a real spider could do it, so should your spider mount.
    This would break some things. You'd have to make the spider mount non-summonable in WFs and mountable dungeons/raids at the very least, and I'd rather have a spider I can use anywhere that I can use a regular mount.
    Harmil is:
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>

Infact, flying is good, but only for a certain amount of time like 30 seconds flight time with 60 second cooldown period between next intiation of flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Xillean View Post
    My normal reply is no followed by a hell no, mainly because we have ports all over the place and our world is small as it is. However with the expac more then tripling our world then maybe down the road I can see it being added.
    I agree that porting already makes the world small. Not sure I see how flying would change that, but yes, it's definitely going to be different in the post-xpac world with a 3x size difference int he world.

Thing is though adding flying to a game that doesn't already have it is a huge undertaking, its not something you just code one day and bam good to go. With new souls and everything coming at us I doubt we will see flying anytime soon.
    I don't expect it to be something you add in a minor patch, but for an expansion that, presumably, has been in the works for most fo the time the game has been out... I kind of think it's within the scope of reasonable.

As far as catching and raising a mount... I think it probably makes sense for flying to be a reward from a world event at first. Flying should be a badge of accomplishment on day one (and some element of that badge should always remain, such as a unique mount), but after that it needs to become a routine thing so that new players don't have it just added to the list of things they have to do in addition to leveling (not fun).
    Harmil is:
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>

Quote Originally Posted by Warbs View Post
    Gliding is good, flying is bad...especially for open world PvP.
    X is good, Y is bad.

Do you have some reason for X=gliding and Y=flying or should I feel free to just swap those around?
    Harmil is:
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>

Travel is already to easy in this game, especially for how small it currently is.

Making you run helps create a sense of scope and puts the world in perspective. In a game that uses zoning, and safe roads, it shouldn't be any problem other than laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmil View Post
    X is good, Y is bad.

Do you have some reason for X=gliding and Y=flying or should I feel free to just swap those around?
    Gliding causes players to have to still use the ground terrain making it less wasted and making the chances of open world combat encounters more likely (mainly Open world PvP)

Flying makes any form of combat (unless mounted flying combat was introduced) pretty much non existant when travelling across the zones.

The general consensus I've seen on these forums is that flying mounts would make the game feel small and would completely do away with open world pvp. Personally, I do not enjoy the idea of flying mounts...ground mounts and porticulums offer excellent transportation.

Prophet of Telara

Good, i hate flying in MMO's. The world is bypassed too easilly.

Even though I predict that the Lv 1-40 (maybe Lv 1-50) zones WILL be nerfed in zone events after Storm Legion comes out, I think it still needs to stay 'on the ground'.

Ascendant

Absolutely no to flying mounts. It would completely make the entire game world just some trivial thing that you always skip over.

With proper portal placement you can already get pretty much anywhere on the entire game map in under 1 minute (2 minutes if you are WAAAAY out somewhere and have to run to the nearest portal before running WAAAAY out somewhere else . . . and your soul recall and all your PA ports are down).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast