Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Scarlet Gorge: The Most Hated Zone in MMORPG History

Default Scarlet Gorge: The Most Hated Zone in MMORPG History

Any MMORPG, especially one as prestigious as Rift, can be counted on to have a large, unexplored world. Rift has the bright, wild beauty of Silverwood. Perfect World has a city you have to fly 60 feet in the air to reach. Runes of Magic has an entire city locked up behind a large, stone castle. These zones are usually introduced to new players so that the players can get the best of the World, subliminally encouraging them to stay. For example, Silverwood is a starting area. The Flying City of Perfect World can be reached by any level person. The Castle City of Runes of Magic is reachable by level 20. These places signify excellence, creativity and skill on the Developer's part, and it foreshadows the greatness of the zones to come.

Then there are terrible zones that make you want to cry. Make you want to strangle an infant with it's own umbilical cord. The Zones that make you want to run through the city, bashing things in with a wooden bat and while wearing a gasmask.

Scarlet Gorge was a fine idea for a zone I'm sure, but once the Developers started physically designing it, they should've scrapped it. Granted they finished designing it, once they looked at it from any angle besides a bird's eye view, they should've scrapped it. Even if it got through the evaluation, once the Developers started playing it, no, once they tried getting from point A to point B without freaking dying, they should've scrapped it.

Here's why.

Designing a few miles worth of terrain when your superior tells you to make it a freaking Grand Canyon, is impressive. A feat obvious incapable of a 5 year old. However, the zone was obviously designed by someone who is equipped with glorious wings, and flys to and from the Trion headquaters daily. The group of people who designed Scarlet Gorge have never walked a day in their life. Instead they prefer airbending themselves from place to place, and when in the city, if in the right mood, they will swing on webs from place to place wearing a blue and red unitard.

But the quests of Scarlet Gorge of course hate you as well. They will require you to either go up, or go down. Never straight of course. With the aid of airbending, this would be a very simple task. And you and your mount are not designed to scale the terrain at a 90 degree angle with the use of sharp claws and a strong grip, tearing the rock out of the mountain as they speed up it (btw Trion, get on that). No, you'll have to find you're own way. You can, from this point, either equip some nasty parkour skills or you can use the ramps that are placed at random, wherever. And if you die, you will have to respawn in the middle of the zone. Which means, 9/10, you'll have to go down or up to reach your body. And even in death, where fall damage doesn't exist, that's still amazingly difficult. Or maybe you did die on the same level as the resurrection post, in which case odds are you died there trying to get to the bottom tier or the top tier... enjoy the paradox of clumsy death you've just locked yourself into.

OH BUT WAIT WHAT DIS IS! Trion has gone out of their way to install some make-shift elevators! Which leads us right into top 3 reasons number #2.

#2 - Mob of Monsters Around Every Corner

Rift monsters are already known for having the Buddy System. Coming from a game like Runescape, where you have to fight other players for your own beast to slay, this was something I had trouble adjusting to. After adjusting to this, I thought I learned a few tricks to make it bearable. For example, pull one and run away from the mob. Or, learn the paths of other monsters so they dont walk through the cross fire and attack you too. I thought I was ready for anything by the time I breezed through Gloamwood monsters. Scarlet Gorge isn't like that.

Scarlet Gorge was like a God-damned zombie apocalypse. Remember those elevators we mentioned? That are supposed to make transportation in that hell hole easy? Yeah, those are swamped. Completely surrounded. Tactically positioned so that the second you get off the elevator, you have two options.

1.) Turn around, jump off the cliff to your demise, furthermore testing your mental stability.

2.) Run forward in any direction and get jumped, curbstomped, and robbed by a group of monsters.

Pulling apart the group 1 by 1 is time consuming. Running through the crowd while frantically facerolling all of your heals IS an option, sure, but you'll eventually lose direction and run directly off of a [Edit] cliff. Notice a pattern? In all 3 of those options, you freaking die. Which is sad because...

#1 - NONE OF THIS CRAP MATTERS

One of my skilled friends told me, straight up, not to do Scarlet Gorge. He told me to skip over it, run to Scarwood and never look back. I told him no! Rift is amazing, I want to see ALL Telara has to offer. I didn't listen. Oh, God, why didn't I listen. Truth be told, I was a bit scared too. I didn't want to go to Scarwood and get curstomped by quests out of my league. That wasn't the case. Scarwood has the same level monsters. The same difficulty quests. Rift isn't exactly Skyrim, I don't play the game for the story.

Scarlet Gorge is also a Ghost town, you won't find a bunch of people to take out Rifts with, or whatever. So, I ask you, why? Why go through this? Why waste all of that Gold and Platinum constantly healing your broken soul? I see no reason. No reason at all. This isn't even fun. I rather swim in a pool of acid, melt my eyes out with lighter, and stub my toe on various objects than spend another minute in Scarlet Gorge.

Look. I'm not saying there should be a portal from each side of Scarlet Gorge's border, allowing you to travel from Gloam to Scar and visa-versa without having treck through hell, but um, hey, there should be a portal from each side of Scarlet Gorge's border allowing you to travel from Gloam to Scar and visa-versa without having to treck trough hell.
    Last edited by Sonic Rain Boom; 05-21-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: inappropriate language
    User received an infraction for this post

Lool, I'm with you on this one. I took one toon there... ONCE.
    I have only just ventured back in there for fishing, and, was again traumatised.

Mind you I'm the sort of person that gets lost on the way to my letter box. Scarlet Gorge just does not lend itself, to directionally challenged folk such as myself.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Soulwalker

Not only that, I am missing 2 quests that i can't seem to find at lvl 50 to get my achievement

I always skip scarlet gorge. It's ugly, a hassle to travel through for quests..plus it's always empty.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Lool, I'm with you on this one. I took one toon there... ONCE.
    I have only just ventured back in there for fishing, and, was again traumatised.

Mind you I'm the sort of person that gets lost on the way to my letter box. Scarlet Gorge just does not lend itself, to directionally challenged folk such as myself.
    Lol exactly. That's another thing, I'd avoid it too if I could, but I have to keep revisiting it to get to my Cleric Trainer. Gah.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokowei View Post
    Lol exactly. That's another thing, I'd avoid it too if I could, but I have to keep revisiting it to get to my Cleric Trainer. Gah.
    Visit the trainer in Sanctum or Meridian. Please stop torturing yourself!

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Ascendant

poor scarlet gorge I am the only one who loves you. getting to the cairn in scarlet gorge was awesome - it nearly gave me a heart attack IRL but it was awesome

For a zone everybody hates a lot of zone events seem to pop there

it's never that dang fire event that i need to complete all the achieves though

I like Scarlet Gorge. I've only done the Guardian side quests in the Gorge... and it wasn't bad at all. It's a real small zone for us and we're there what...2 or 3 levels at most? The zone I don't like is Scarwood.
    Last edited by Laeris; 05-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.

With Mentoring on the way, I cant wait to see what kind of revenge Trion will get on us with the awesome epic Zone Events we will get in that zone.

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

There's so many things about this game that makes me think it's so much more convenient and lot's of aspects easy but that's only because my last MMORPG was FFXI. I actually find traveling in this game to be easy. I remember many zones in FFXI that some find to be frustrating puzzles to go from point A to point B and some areas that a lot of players are not capable of getting into.

I don't hate the zone but totally agree that another portal needs to go in that zone. Going for south to middle is long and annoying, even with 110% mount.

I am normally a completist, but I began skipping Scarlet Gorge and Droughtlands while leveling. Ugly, ugly zones. Unappealing, uninviting. Scarwood Reach isn't that far behind, esp. the Guardian side. I'm happy to miss these zones as much as I can, only doing what I have to do to level or for achievements.

Silverwood is by far the most beautiful zone in the game, followed closely by Moonshade Highlands. When I think of fantasy, I picture environments like these. I'll go to those zones just to hang out and soak in the ambience.
    Last edited by Shattered; 05-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Everything's perfect about the past except how it led to the present. ― Homer Simpson
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Tokowei View Post
    Look. I'm not saying there should be a portal from each side of Scarlet Gorge's border, allowing you to travel from Gloam to Scar and visa-versa without having treck through hell, but um, hey, there should be a portal from each side of Scarlet Gorge's border allowing you to travel from Gloam to Scar and visa-versa without having to treck trough hell.
    This would be nice.

I distinctly remember my first stint in Scarlet Gorge, stumbling/jumping around on my mount, trying desperately to figure out how to reach a particular quest area. Little did I know that an easy path that didn't involve taking massive fall damage was there all along - I just couldn't find it. It also took me the longest time to consistently locate Foul Cascade.

I think I also snuck into the defiant elevator (as a guardian) to unlock scarwood reach cause I couldn't figure out how else to get there.

Ascendant

Scarlet Gorge is a very very short quest zone which can be done in an hours play time. Up the hill, into the village and then to the cave and done. You can squeeze a level and a half from here and then your off. There is never an invasion while playing there and there are but three places from the Guardian side you are likely to see a Rift.

I wouldn't say I hate it as probably Silithus in WoW will forever be my most hated zone. However, if the creators would activate the Ward Stone quests again then maybe I would have reason to go up the left of the map over the bridge and fight the Boglings. Also then the Ogres would have some purpose. Would also be good to be able to enjoy some of the Defiant areas like in the cave where I often go round for an hour or two levelling.

The cairn in Scarlet is reached from Gloamwood and still probably is the only activity in the whole game that requires platform hopping skills. Amazingly in the whole of the World of Warcraft game there is only one location where you need to jump a platform with a timed leep and that is from a stone in Feralas. Never understood why gamers on PCs avoid jumps and leeps and climbing etc.

I would rate Scarlet as the least interesting but sadly it lost its purpose when the Wardstone idea was scrapped. The area was designed to create friction between factions but it didn't work.
    Last edited by Ajhal; 05-20-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    Scarlet Gorge is a very very short quest zone which can be done in an hours play time. Up the hill, into the village and then to the cave and done. You can squeeze a level and a half from here and then your off. There is never an invasion while playing there and there are but three places from the Guardian side you are likely to see a Rift.

I wouldn't say I hate it as probably Silithus in WoW will forever be my most hated zone. However, if the creators would activate the Ward Stone quests again then maybe I would have reason to go up the left of the map over the bridge and fight the Boglings. Also then the Ogres would have some purpose. Would also be good to be able to enjoy some of the Defiant areas like in the cave where I often go round for an hour or two levelling.

The cairn in Scarlet is reached from Gloamwood and still probably is the only activity in the whole game that requires platform hopping skills. Amazingly in the whole of the World of Warcraft game there is only one location where you need to jump a platform with a timed leep and that is from a stone in Feralas. Never understood why gamers on PCs avoid jumps and leeps and climbing etc.

I would rate Scarlet as the least interesting but sadly it lost its purpose when the Wardstone idea was scrapped. The area was designed to create friction between factions but it didn't work.
    Yep.

And well, Scarlet Gorge isn't that bad. It isn't. It's far more painless than Scarwood can be, imo.

But, you know, I'm just sayin' - once I get all of my achievements from there and related to the zone, I'm never looking back.

Problems:
    -One portal for a zone of this design is lame now. Why? Because the engineered PvP never happened, so there's no reason for just one portal at this point. Stop it. Put a neutral portal at the middle, or two faction portals. Or something.
    -reduce mob density. Transfer the lessons learned from Ember Isle - mob density is not challenge or timesink it itself. It is only an annoyance. Scarlet Gorge is one of the worst offenders.

Otherwise.. I can deal. Why? Because the zone is a nice (kinda) introduction to Wanton and Golden Maw stuff for Defiants, and some more Endless stuff for Guardians. Not exactly epic, but I value it more than I do Scarwood. Yes, my least favorite zones in order are:
    1. Scarwood
    2. Freemarch
    3. Scarlet Gorge
    4. Droughtlands, but I can tolerate it...
    5. Stillmoor, but I understand its role
    6. Stonefield, but really, I don't mind it

My favorite ones are:
    1. Ember Isle, What can I say, Trion did good.
    2. Iron Pine Peak, my god I love it. Best snow zone ever.
    3. Moonshade Highlands, very lovely, but not exactly my ideal
    4. Shimmersand, ok enough for endgame stuff, but I'm hankering for the zones Trion has in internal dev instead ;)
    5. Gloamwood, ooo cool!!, but I go 'ugh move on' after a while
    6. Silverwood, pretty, but I get realllly tired of it, yet still enjoy it
    Maeloda ~ Defiant Kelari Male Rogue ~ Level 60 (Expert) ~ Faeblight ~ Prismatic Legion

GSB 5/5, GP 4/4, DH 4/4, RoS* 4/4 || HK 2/11, RotP 0/4 || ID 0/8, PF 0/4 ||| FT 0/4, TotSQ 4/4, EE 0/5, I-DH 0/4 || GA 0/4, TIG 0/3, PBB 0/5 ||| BOB 0/4
    * = Conqueror

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast