Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 97
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Scarlet Gorge: The Most Hated Zone in MMORPG History

  1. #16
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Personally, I like Scarlet Gorge. Like a lot of the zones in Rift, the thing I like about it is its geography, which is more interesting than your typical MMO zone (ie, not just a field or open valley surrounded by mountains with a few points of interest scattered about), and I like the fact that you can't just get from A to B in a straight line, but actually have explore and get to know the terrain.

    That said, I recognise the frustration of the OP and others, when trying to travel long distances through the zone. I think the problem could be solved by the addition of one or two more porticulums per side, allowing you to get quickly to either end or to the middle of the gorge.
    Last edited by Feine; 05-20-2012 at 02:16 AM.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

  2. #17
    Rift Master Merridwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    677

    Default

    I agree. A portal at each end would be great. In fact, if the area is designed to create faction friction, why not let us use each other's portals?

    I don't mind the funny ramps and frustrating map. I find IPP and Stillmoor can be just as bad in places. It's the long and tedious ride that puts me off, every time.

  3. #18
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    It always puzzles me that people can complain about not enough portals in a zone or the long and tedious ride from point a to point b, whilst simultaneously complaining that the world is too small.

    scarlet gorge does have a high mob density but I find it one of the easier zones to get around in because you can ride down the river mostly without aggroing anything

    moonshade highlands on the other hand yeeesh everytime I go through faering wood and dozens of grey mobs aggro on me I want to kick a kitten. I'm just looking for rares and artifacts go away! you have no hope of killing me stoopid faeries.

  4. #19
    Rift Chaser TheLithium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    365

    Default

    No.

    Scarlet Gorge for me contained the best place to power level in the game. If you go up north to around (3800,2600) you will find a huge nest of level 27 gnars. With my Cleric duracell build I was able to do laps here and get from 25-30 in a couple of hours (with xp pots). The mobs are all melle so no LOS problems. Just vex up 5-8 and spam your aoe macro. The hives are particularly good xp here.
    Bisqquit | R53

  5. #20
    Telaran zasd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Please can you put more than portals anywhere I would have to run more than one minute to get to...? could we maybe get portals that make us instant 50 and rank 40? god I hate having to actually play a game, could we get an auto pilot (ignoring bots) that plays for us so we do not have to be bothered...

    Scarlet Gorge is one of my favorite zones! and Gloamwood was my favorite until it got dumbed down, because the werewolf quest was toooo hard.... /cry I like The dark feel of gloamwood and wish it was taken further.

    I can not Wait until games are released where you create a character and enter the world only to have the end game credits rolling... but by then people will complain that the character creation is too hard and it takes too long to get through....

    if you can not be bothered to play a game for what it is I think maybe you are doing it wrong....
    Zziggi....

  6. #21
    Shield of Telara WriteThemWrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    721

    Default

    I kinda liked Scarlet Gorge, reminded me of the grand canyon and I live in Arizona.

  7. #22
    Soulwalker Tokowei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLithium View Post
    No.

    Scarlet Gorge for me contained the best place to power level in the game. If you go up north to around (3800,2600) you will find a huge nest of level 27 gnars. With my Cleric duracell build I was able to do laps here and get from 25-30 in a couple of hours (with xp pots). The mobs are all melle so no LOS problems. Just vex up 5-8 and spam your aoe macro. The hives are particularly good xp here.
    No.

    Rift is the only game I've come across where grinding isn't a necessity. If you need to level up fast, Instance, PVP or Rift-Hunt. Grinding isn't fun and doesn't justify the irresponsible mob density of Scarlet Gorge.

  8. #23
    Champion of Telara BlackZodiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokowei View Post
    Any MMORPG, especially one as prestigious as Rift, can be counted on to have a large, unexplored world. Rift has the bright, wild beauty of Silverwood. Perfect World has a city you have to fly 60 feet in the air to reach. Runes of Magic has an entire city locked up behind a large, stone castle. These zones are usually introduced to new players so that the players can get the best of the World, subliminally encouraging them to stay. For example, Silverwood is a starting area. The Flying City of Perfect World can be reached by any level person. The Castle City of Runes of Magic is reachable by level 20. These places signify excellence, creativity and skill on the Developer's part, and it foreshadows the greatness of the zones to come.

    Then there are terrible zones that make you want to cry. Make you want to strangle an infant with it's own umbilical cord. The Zones that make you want to run through the city, bashing things in with a wooden bat and while wearing a gasmask.


    Scarlet Gorge was a fine idea for a zone I'm sure, but once the Developers started physically designing it, they should've scrapped it. Granted they finished designing it, once they looked at it from any angle besides a bird's eye view, they should've scrapped it. Even if it got through the evaluation, once the Developers started playing it, no, once they tried getting from point A to point B without freaking dying, they should've scrapped it.

    Here's why.

    #3 - The Terrain Was Designed by a 5 Year Old.


    Okay. Okay. That might have been a little harsh. Designing a few miles worth of terrain when your superior tells you to make it a freaking Grand Canyon, is impressive. A feat obvious incapable of a 5 year old. However, the zone was obviously designed by someone who is equipped with glorious wings, and flys to and from the Trion headquaters daily. The group of people who designed Scarlet Gorge have never walked a day in their life. Instead they prefer airbending themselves from place to place, and when in the city, if in the right mood, they will swing on webs from place to place wearing a blue and red unitard.


    But the quests of Scarlet Gorge of course hate you as well. They will require you to either go up, or go down. Never straight of course. With the aid of airbending, this would be a very simple task. And you and your mount are not designed to scale the terrain at a 90 degree angle with the use of sharp claws and a strong grip, tearing the rock out of the mountain as they speed up it (btw Trion, get on that). No, you'll have to find you're own way. You can, from this point, either equip some nasty parkour skills or you can use the ramps that are placed at random, wherever. And if you die, you will have to respawn in the middle of the zone. Which means, 9/10, you'll have to go down or up to reach your body. And even in death, where fall damage doesn't exist, that's still amazingly difficult. Or maybe you did die on the same level as the resurrection post, in which case odds are you died there trying to get to the bottom tier or the top tier... enjoy the paradox of clumsy death you've just locked yourself into.

    OH BUT WAIT WHAT DIS IS! Trion has gone out of their way to install some make-shift elevators! Which leads us right into top 3 reasons number #2.

    #2 - Mob of Monsters Around Every [Edit] Corner

    Rift monsters are already known for having the Buddy System. Coming from a game like Runescape, where you have to fight other players for your own beast to slay, this was something I had trouble adjusting to. After adjusting to this, I thought I learned a few tricks to make it bearable. For example, pull one and run away from the mob. Or, learn the paths of other monsters so they dont walk through the cross fire and attack you too. I thought I was ready for anything by the time I breezed through Gloamwood monsters. Scarlet Gorge isn't like that.

    Scarlet Gorge was like a God-damned zombie apocalypse. Remember those elevators we mentioned? That are supposed to make transportation in that hell hole easy? Yeah, those are swamped. Completely surrounded. Tactically positioned so that the second you get off the elevator, you have two options.

    1.) Turn around, jump off the cliff to your demise, furthermore testing your mental stability.

    2.) Run forward in any direction and get jumped, curbstomped, and robbed by a group of monsters.

    Pulling apart the group 1 by 1 is time consuming. Running through the crowd while frantically facerolling all of your heals IS an option, sure, but you'll eventually lose direction and run directly off of a [Edit] cliff. Notice a pattern? In all 3 of those options, you freaking die. Which is sad because...

    #1 - NONE OF THIS CRAP MATTERS


    One of my skilled friends told me, straight up, not to do Scarlet Gorge. He told me to skip over it, run to Scarwood and never look back. I told him no! Rift is amazing, I want to see ALL Telara has to offer. I didn't listen. Oh, God, why didn't I listen. Truth be told, I was a bit scared too. I didn't want to go to Scarwood and get curstomped by quests out of my league. That wasn't the case. Scarwood has the same level monsters. The same difficulty quests. Rift isn't exactly Skyrim, I don't play the game for the story.

    Scarlet Gorge is also a Ghost town, you won't find a bunch of people to take out Rifts with, or whatever. So, I ask you, why? Why go through this? Why waste all of that Gold and Platinum constantly healing your broken soul? I see no reason. No reason at all. This isn't even fun. I rather swim in a pool of acid, melt my eyes out with lighter, and stub my toe on various objects than spend another minute in Scarlet Gorge.

    Look. I'm not saying there should be a portal from each side of Scarlet Gorge's border, allowing you to travel from Gloam to Scar and visa-versa without having treck through hell, but um, hey, there should be a portal from each side of Scarlet Gorge's border allowing you to travel from Gloam to Scar and visa-versa without having to treck trough hell.
    I will agree with ONE thing, it is crowded and the land could be larger to compensate the population of the mobs but it challenges you, simply that.

    As far as the rest of this thread...sorry but it just looks to me as a P2P thread.

  9. #24
    Champion thoroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    I like Scarlet Gorge. I've only done the Guardian side quests in the Gorge... and it wasn't bad at all. It's a real small zone for us and we're there what...2 or 3 levels at most? The zone I don't like is Scarwood.
    I have to agree with you there! It looks big and imposing and I love the massive bridge at the top of the Guardian side where Scotty is !
    Capes
    Cloaks

    Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

  10. #25
    Prophet of Telara Muffinmans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    I actually quite love scarlet gorge, one of my favorite zones in the game. Honestly don't quite understand all the hate for it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    As for folks calling me a carebear, I've got 99 problems and being a carebear ain't one son. I've done far more than my share of virtual murder over the years. I've been part of alliances that have so heavily destabilized server balance in games that the other sides ceased to log in due to being so massively dominated.

  11. #26
    Ascendant Hartzekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    I like Scarlet Gorge. It's visually stunning. It was where I got into PvP skirmishes back in early patches. However, it makes me wish I was a Dwarf.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

  12. #27
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinmans View Post
    I actually quite love scarlet gorge, one of my favorite zones in the game. Honestly don't quite understand all the hate for it...
    I hated Scarlet Gorge for one thing:

    Foul Cascade pre-LFG tool... game was only just released, lvl28 and trying to get into Foul Cascade as a Defiant, on a pvp shard:

    1. get off Scarwood Lift base, run north

    2. get killed at about Rock Ridge

    3. continue north, get killed by a lvl40 guardian assassin.

    4. soulwalk

    5. get killed again

    6. repawn at Rock Ridge

    7. run to your body

    8. notice you get body camped and die again

    9. respawn Rock Ridge, run back multiple times, somehow manage to get away from that Guardian camper

    10. get killed repeatedly by Guardians and mobs on the ramp up to Foul Cascade.

    11. Curse every time for 5 minutes as you run 5 minutes to your corpse.

    12. Curse and die even more as you're getting killed on the ramp repeatedly because you now have soul sickness and no possibility to heal, unless you recall and heal. Which puts you back at 1.

    At least you felt like a real hero when you entered Foul Cascade. ;)

  13. #28
    Ascendant Tolmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    This must be a personal preference matter, because I actually like Scarlet Gorge lol. The zone I feel the way you described about is Gloamwood. God, I hate that place.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

  14. #29
    Plane Walker Cienn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    407

    Default

    I like the Gorge, too. Challenging, lots of xp, and a fun puzzle that gives you a title. It was quite fun, back in the early days, to run down to the Defiant end and kill NPCs for shard firsts. Ah, the memories.

    * Cienn 50 Mathosian Pyro Mage-Keenblade * Landuu 45 Kelari Pyro Mage-Greenscale * Xee 37 High Elf Healing Cleric, Warfronts-Homeless *

    If you say "plz" instead of "please" because it's easier to type, then I will say "no" instead of "yes" for the same reason.

  15. #30
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glamour View Post
    It always puzzles me that people can complain about not enough portals in a zone or the long and tedious ride from point a to point b, whilst simultaneously complaining that the world is too small.

    scarlet gorge does have a high mob density but I find it one of the easier zones to get around in because you can ride down the river mostly without aggroing anything

    moonshade highlands on the other hand yeeesh everytime I go through faering wood and dozens of grey mobs aggro on me I want to kick a kitten. I'm just looking for rares and artifacts go away! you have no hope of killing me stoopid faeries.
    You can have both you know. Good transportation and a large world.

    I also agree, having low level mobs dismount you is beyond dumb. I've always hated that part about Rift.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts