+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Day / night cycle settings

Default Day / night cycle settings

Can you change the day/night cycle settings? I play around lunchtime my time and it's always nighttime in game....freakin depressing!

:] Yeah, i noticed this too. How long is that cycle, i mean how much hours got "Rift day"? And where is EU servers located, because server time change between my local time is 3 hours, so when i login in evening it's only noon in the game.
    Second place just means you're the first loser.

This is from before release, but I'd imagine it's a good general idea of where it's at now.

ZAM: How long is the day and night cycle in the game?

Hartsman: Seven hours. We intentionally don’t have day and night quests. One of the things we’re in the process of doing right now is deciding exactly how much of that seven hours is day and how much of it is night. Right now the way our world is set up, the day period and the night period are even. We’re skewing it a little more toward daylight hours and more dawn and dusk hours and a little less pure night, because pure night in MMOs tends to be too dark to be fun.

Back when I played WoW, I played it on american servers.
    That put me ALWAYS playing during nightime, and I remember to this day questing around in the Barrens and just thinking how beautiful the Barrens look during the night, it was magical!

While WoW during the night looked really nice in all regions, sadly Rift does not have the same luck.
    During the night Rift just seems depressing and not fun to play in.

Reckon they should keep night time to a very small extent, say 30 minutes out of 7 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by merrier View Post
    This is from before release, but I'd imagine it's a good general idea of where it's at now.

ZAM: How long is the day and night cycle in the game?

Hartsman: Seven hours. We intentionally don’t have day and night quests. One of the things we’re in the process of doing right now is deciding exactly how much of that seven hours is day and how much of it is night. Right now the way our world is set up, the day period and the night period are even. We’re skewing it a little more toward daylight hours and more dawn and dusk hours and a little less pure night, because pure night in MMOs tends to be too dark to be fun.
    The problem is, that Hartsman quote is a lie. Not a lie in that you made it up, but rather a like that Rift doesn't have any quests that are only doable during the day or the night.

I know for a fact that there are at least three of them, mostly in Gloamwood, but there are also certain rare bosses (say in Silverwood) that ONLY spawn during night hours.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    The problem is, that Hartsman quote is a lie. Not a lie in that you made it up, but rather a like that Rift doesn't have any quests that are only doable during the day or the night.

I know for a fact that there are at least three of them, mostly in Gloamwood, but there are also certain rare bosses (say in Silverwood) that ONLY spawn during night hours.
    Like I said, that was before release. Several months before, I think. As we all know, one thing you can say about Rift is that things are always changing.

Soulwalker

Omg I totally support a setting to avoid night time, seems that's all I'm hitting lately, depressing indeed, especially in Gloam.. I had to log off and go play something else, was too depressing. lol
    I understand the mood thing but let us control it please!

Night time? Yeah right. It's more like overbright twilight. It never gets really dark like it should. Pansy arse whiners can go bugger a goat if they whinge and moan about it being dark out. They can go sit in a village / town / city where it's lit and run dungeons or craft or roleplay until daytime if they're that scared of monsters in the dark. Add a torch / magical light slot to illuminate immediate surroundings.

The game would be a lot more interesting if it had real weather / seasons and true night / day cycle (though faster so that people that play at the same time every day don't always play at the same time in Rift.

Telaran

I barely notice when its night time , have to glance up and see stars then I'm oh , its night . Funny thing is I've always wished Rift had a night time , the one we have now just looks like daytime to me .

I remember when DAoC came out , now that was night time . No idea if that changed in the intervening years but that was black .

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nodders View Post
    I remember when DAoC came out , now that was night time . No idea if that changed in the intervening years but that was black .
    But DAoC had atmosphere - something which RIFT, although it is a great game, lacks!

Quote Originally Posted by EranB View Post
    That put me ALWAYS playing during nightime, and I remember to this day questing around in the Barrens and just thinking how beautiful the Barrens look during the night, it was magical!

While WoW during the night looked really nice in all regions, sadly Rift does not have the same luck.
    During the night Rift just seems depressing and not fun to play in.

Reckon they should keep night time to a very small extent, say 30 minutes out of 7 hours.
    Yeah I remember stalking americans as my warlock and then I jump out going mwahahaha! There is a lack of light in this game though.
    BRING BACK OLD THE GREATER FAERIE DESIGN! I DEMAND CAPTAIN SHORT BACK! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...on-please.html The avatar is not mine! It's Johnjoseco's from deviant art! Go there! Wow, love and joy it! XD

Quote Originally Posted by EranB View Post
    Can i ask reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldi View Post
    [...] atmosphere - something which RIFT, although it is a great game, lacks!
    Agreed.
    Second place just means you're the first loser.

Quote Originally Posted by stalius View Post
    Can i ask reason?
    I was too young to know what latency was and I wanted a 100% English speaking community.

Rift Chaser

Been playing for a year+ and never noticed that there were day/night cycles.

I didnt read this whole thread, but is there a toggle for night/day cycles?

So far i only know that if you run a certain graphic setting low/off it won't happen.
    But i have yet to establish which since i run with everything at max.

Problem is, night cycle is SO dark/dreary that i have to turn up my in-game gamma, which then fades everything and makes the graphics less brilliant, sharp and colorful. I hate it! Either they need to work on a better graphic effect for nighttime cycles or they need to simply not let it get so dark.

Daytime cycle lets me really appreciate RIFT's great graphics/art.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast