+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Day / night cycle settings

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who loves the gloomy atmospheres.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who loves the gloomy atmospheres.
    It's not so much the gloomyness of night time cycle that gets me (i.e. i love gloamwood!)... it is more of an issue of not being able to SEE much. I have a backlit LED monitor that has really great brilliant output. However, even despite having vibrancy features turned up, Rift night time cycle makes it so overwhelmingly dark that i have to up the in game gamma, in turn fading out colors and making everything seem less vibrant/sharp.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

Quote Originally Posted by batou079 View Post
    It's not so much the gloomyness of night time cycle that gets me (i.e. i love gloamwood!)... it is more of an issue of not being able to SEE much. I have a backlit LED monitor that has really great brilliant output. However, even despite having vibrancy features turned up, Rift night time cycle makes it so overwhelmingly dark that i have to up the in game gamma, in turn fading out colors and making everything seem less vibrant/sharp.
    Only time I had that issue was on the Sicaron fight before I maxed my graphics, and occasionally in caves when the lighting changes oddly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Only time I had that issue was on the Sicaron fight before I maxed my graphics, and occasionally in caves when the lighting changes oddly.
    idk mebe its a hardware issue/drivers issue but i have had this issue even during my pre-PC upgrade days.
    *shrug*

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

I love when real night comes - during the Death zone events.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanTheBlack View Post
    The game would be a lot more interesting if it had real weather / seasons and true night / day cycle (though faster so that people that play at the same time every day don't always play at the same time in Rift.
    Have you never expirenced the pouring rain in moonshade? :/
    Capes
    Cloaks

Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    The problem is, that Hartsman quote is a lie. Not a lie in that you made it up, but rather a like that Rift doesn't have any quests that are only doable during the day or the night.

I know for a fact that there are at least three of them, mostly in Gloamwood, but there are also certain rare bosses (say in Silverwood) that ONLY spawn during night hours.
    May not be a lie, may be misinformed, but yeah. Exactly. There *are* night-specific quests.

Undertaker title anyone?

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiddu Krishnamurti
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Ascendant

I think with the recent changes to lighting the night is a lot darker now and I don't like it, actually I liked the old lighting LOTS better. Zones like stillmoor and gloamwood looked amazing in twilight. Not Anymore. I don't care if if the sun moves across the sky now it looked better before.

now if I log in and it's night I either log back out or stay in meridian and que for dungeons because I can't see a darn thing out in the zones unless I fiddle with graphics settings and crank the brightness right up.

I'm actually kind of disappointed nights are not darker in this game. They're decent now, but I think it's kind of fun to be wandering around the world at night in dark. It adds some gloom and mysterious feelings to everything.

The other day I was in Shimmer at dawn. The "sun" was coming up. It had been noticably dark in the Firesand Desert area. Those little roaming fire dogs were noticable because of the orange glow of light they emmited.

But what struck me was that when the sun came up, there were noticable spots of light and shadows intermixed amidst the sand dunes. I was standing on the edge of a light patch and I could literally see it moving across the desert floor.

It was just one of those cool little moments that caught my eye and made me appreciate the level of detail and the fine craftsmanship that is too often taken for granted. Good job Trion!

Soulwalker

Default Recent changes?

Some very good information here about day / night cycle settings (for example, 7 hours per cycle, emphasis on morning / dusk, etc).

I am curious if there has been a recent change, though - say, within the last 10 days. It seems like it is almost never night on my servers, and I've logged in at random times during the day, evening, and late at night.

I like day / night cycles. I'm fairly new to the game, but Silverwood and Freemarch are both beautiful during the night cycles, and it's almost pointless to play in Gloamwood during the day cycle. It was clearly meant to be a dark and spooky zone, and I'm just not feeling that sense of menace during the day.

It would be great if you could adjust day / night cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldi View Post
    But DAoC had atmosphere - something which RIFT, although it is a great game, lacks!
    Really? I never played DAoC, but to me Rift is one of the games I've played with most atmosphere :3

That said, with my monitor settings, nighttime is actually quite dark to me, especially in certain areas. I have to fumble around in the bushes hovering over thing to read the tooltip in order to get what I am looking at xD

"Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett

Wow so many of you are so sensitive. I bet you can't even surf the web without getting depressed over some website's background.

Nope, can't read the forums, this purple is too depressing!

In FFXI one game day is 57 minutes 36 seconds, so if you are playing specific times during the day, you see different game days. Something similar could be applied for day/night cycle. However, I think WoW has the worst on that point. You never see daylight in game if you only play prime time.

Quote Originally Posted by batou079 View Post
    I didnt read this whole thread, but is there a toggle for night/day cycles?

So far i only know that if you run a certain graphic setting low/off it won't happen.
    But i have yet to establish which since i run with everything at max.

Problem is, night cycle is SO dark/dreary that i have to turn up my in-game gamma, which then fades everything and makes the graphics less brilliant, sharp and colorful. I hate it! Either they need to work on a better graphic effect for nighttime cycles or they need to simply not let it get so dark.

Daytime cycle lets me really appreciate RIFT's great graphics/art.
    didnt you quit the game like 2 weeks ago or something? i remember seeing a goodbye thread on byriel forums.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast