+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How would you feel if there was no need to return to NPC after completing Quest?

Default How would you feel if there was no need to return to NPC after completing Quest?

How would you feel if there was no need to return to NPC after completing Quest?

You simply got rewarded from doing the task, with a popup similar to the way Rifts and events reward you.

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Ascendant

Only if it makes sense. If the NPC needs me to kill 10 rats and that's that, then it works. If the NPC wants said rats tails, no. I need to bring them to the NPC.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    Only if it makes sense. If the NPC needs me to kill 10 rats and that's that, then it works. If the NPC wants said rats tails, no. I need to bring them to the NPC.
    I think this is a good idea, and makes perfect sense. I don't want to have to return to every single onslaught that I finish because I attacked a random invasion. Just let me have it complete like any other invasion/rift.

But bringing Ritual Firebrands, for instance, should be returned to the NPC.
    Last edited by Metallica11; 04-30-2012 at 11:49 AM.

I would wonder how the npc knew I completed it, and how they would give me my rewards.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    I would wonder how the npc knew I completed it, and how they would give me my rewards.
    How do they know I killed 5 rats? Why can't I just walk away and right back and say, "yup! Did it!"

As to the topic, OP, did you happen to partake in the GW2 beta? Cause this system is very similar to the dynamic event (read; streamlined questing) system they have. Walk into the event area, participate, get exp at the ends and money rewarded via the mail box (which can be accessed at all times from all locations)

Quote Originally Posted by Drigr View Post
    How do they know I killed 5 rats? Why can't I just walk away and right back and say, "yup! Did it!"

As to the topic, OP, did you happen to partake in the GW2 beta? Cause this system is very similar to the dynamic event (read; streamlined questing) system they have. Walk into the event area, participate, get exp at the ends and money rewarded via the mail box (which can be accessed at all times from all locations)
    Cause you would bring back 5 trophies.

GW2: Wander into a event area, proballby attracted by the mob of people picking up shiny sticks or shoveling poop. Receive magical mail from nowhere from a ghostly person with eagle vision I guess, and marvel at the colorful banner of congrats slapped over your screen.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 04-30-2012 at 12:15 PM.

For dailies then it could work, although as said, it doesn't make sense.

However for 1-50 progression, handing in a quest generally opens another from that NPC and/or several from nearby NPC's. So the returning has more than one reason to be.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Sometimes the NPC has follow-up quests, so I need to speak to him again anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    For dailies then it could work, although as said, it doesn't make sense.

However for 1-50 progression, handing in a quest generally opens another from that NPC and/or several from nearby NPC's. So the returning has more than one reason to be.
    I agree with idea where you go into a town, accept like 7 quests then come back to turn everything in. After you do that enough you get led to the next area. I would be very sad if they did that because it takes away from a lot of lore (even though many don't read it), as well as makes no sense. "Congrats on completing the quest! Here is your sword from thin air!"

No. It's all of the little ideas like this one (combined) that turn games to **** in the end when its all said and done. So no.

I can see it in some instances, but I honestly don't want to get too far away from the "Role Playing" part of RPG. I play the game for the experience, including running back and forth between quest givers. I don't want the game to be boiled down into the most basic of elements and lose all of the interactive parts. Otherwise, it will be:

1. Go to quest hub and pick up all the quests
    2. Go do quests and reap rewards
    3. Level, level, level
    4. Raid, PvP, and/or complain you capped in 2 weeks and there's nothing to do.

That's not a game I want to play. So, I can see it if it makes sense in the narrative of the game, but I'd hate to see it become the norm just because players are too impatient to go to town and turn in the quest.

-Dragonfell
    Find other gamers to play all types of multi-player games with, including RIFT! http://www.gamerseekinggamer.com You can get regular updates on Facebook and Twitter!

Check my Online Gamer Profile!
    Angels of Avalon Guild Page!

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    GW2: Wander into a event area, proballby attracted by the mob of people picking up shiny sticks or shoveling poop. Receive magical mail from nowhere from a ghostly person with eagle vision I guess, and marvel at the colorful banner of congrats slapped over your screen.
    Let's be honest, if it's realism you're looking for, I can see a great many deal-breakers BEFORE magical mail. Like fireballs erupting from fingertips and 40-story monstrous worms bursting through the ice.

The suggested idea is not a far-cry from the current Rift Loot system. There's no NPC to run to when you close the Rift, you're just rewarded with shinies and sent along your way; no time back-tracking.
    It can be explained in any number of ways if the Devs wanted to. I just got back from work so the mental energy I'm willing to devote to making an example is pretty minimal.
    Point being, it's Fantasy: a wizard did it.

To argue in FAVOR of running back to the NPC, from the standpoint of practicality it's to make use of the Quest Hub; an axis around which the Player can orient themselves to the Zone, meet with people, and defend against Planar Invaders. If we never -returned- to the Quest Hub, we may not know about or care to pick up subsequent quests. Unless every Quest in Rift starts to mimic GW2 (all dynamic, spontaneous, chained together), we will need Quest Hubs to centralize and distribute those menial Kill-Ten-Rats quests that we are so familiar with.
    Last edited by Morvick; 04-30-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Well, since onslaughts were brought up, an easy way to fix the problem of "losing" them in your quest log <which I have done numerous times> is to just take the quests away from the various quest givers at the sourcewells and have all of the onslaught quests given out by a central quest giver in Ember Watch...or make that the turn-in point anyway. No real suspension of "rp belief" is needed if you look at it the right way. Say you pick up the quest at the sourcewell, the Keeper there knows that you finished it, obviously, since they are there...in turn they dispatch a messenger to Ember Watch to tell "The Well Keeper", or some such, of what you did....then you go to him/her and get your reward. Solves the problem of not realizing you finished it, because I doubt anyone is going to be able to miss the big blue thing over their head, and Ember Watch is a hub for both Defiants and Guardians so it's not like it would be a special trip for anyone.

LotRO has something like this, I think they call it dynamic questing. It's like a quest chain where you do the first part and then it gives you the instructions for the next part and then the next part etc and then you only go back to the original NPC quest giver at the end to get the reward.

I like that method and it beats the repetition of running back and forth all the time.

The instant-reward system might make a bit more sense for futuristic or modern-day environments (for instance, in a modern-day setting, if someone wanted to reward you with money then they could just transfer it to your account, and you could check in with them via cellphone or some such). But I'm sure there's a way to make it work for the current system also; after all, we have magic and magic-based tech. Wasn't there a Defiant in Meridian working on a miniature teleportation device?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast