+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Event Currency

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    I'm laughing at people who use a site for free being mad that there's ads on it.

Some people are just too cute to yell at.
    Yeah, because it's not like we were just talking about the specific case of zam's ads vs other sites "with ads." Let's just pretend that all sites with ads are automatically the same in the number, manner, and content of those ads so that we can make a ridiculous statement.
    Nevermind if everyone was -just- discussing that very issue, it'll be more e-clever if we post a meaningless one-liner.

By the way, who said anyone uses the site that's complaining about it?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Galdrin View Post
    I don't use adblock. I like to give sites that I actually use the revenue they need. You know, sites that put up ads solely so they can operate.
    you complain about their ads, but dont use your browser to remove them for you?

Ascendant

The thing is, it's not really a good enough site in the first place to warrant it.. they failed dismally at ripping off wowhead's system and then slam 500 ads in everyone's face.
    Er, don't they run wowhead?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Er, don't they run wowhead?
    Yes, Zam owns Wowhead, sortof. I don't remember the specifics, but during the early days of WoW there were a few different database sites, including Thottbot, Allakhazam, Wowhead, and Wowdb, all of which were eventually bought by IGE (a gold-selling company) and turned into a one-stop shop they called Zam, which then expanded to include other games.

Edit: this is in fact the main reason why there were so many of them originally - because every time IGE bought up the current popular one, people would boycott it and move on, but I guess that couldn't really go on forever though.
    Last edited by Gloea; 04-14-2012 at 06:04 PM.

oh really another currency... omg

getting bored of this

Tml

For how long will the FR essences be purchasable?

Quote Originally Posted by gillius View Post
    oh really another currency... omg

getting bored of this
    Like it or not, if they didn't add new currency most players would be able to buy the newest items and gear upon release of the new content with the hoards of currency they've already stockpiled
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

I don't use adblock. I like to give sites that I actually use the revenue they need. You know, sites that put up ads solely so they can operate.
    Argh! Zam sucks because it has ads, but even though I can remove them I won't!
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Argh! Zam sucks because it has ads, but even though I can remove them I won't!
    Riddle me this, why would I want to look at a site that's A. bad and B. has half the site taken up by blocked ads?

Heh lot of Zam hate going around... but I really like the site. And considering how often I see it referenced on my server (Faeblight), I can't help but assume it gets enough traffic that paying for hosting can cost a good couple of dollars.

I harbor them no ill will for trying to A) Make ends meet or even B) Trying to make a profit for their time and effort.
    Last edited by Tolmos; 04-15-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

I like Zam as well. It's where I go to do soul builds and check out available items. As well, Faeblight rocks!

General of Telara

Then don't block the "nice" websites, and leave adblock fully enabled for crappy website filled with ads?

The thing is, it's not really a good enough site in the first place to warrant it.. they failed dismally at ripping off wowhead's system and then slam 500 ads in everyone's face.
    Dude they are identical because they are part of the same company and have been since 2007 when it was purchased by Affinity Media. So since Zam sucks so bad better ditch Wowhead
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Edit limit because of all the IGE hate that led to boycots, in 08 or 09 the fan sites were spun off to a seperate company, Allakazam LLC which has no direct connections to IGE.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    I'm laughing at people who use a site for free being mad that there's ads on it.

Some people are just too cute to yell at.
    Pretty much this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast